Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   My first broccoli (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=31942)

Stanley2 April 9, 2014 09:19 PM

My first broccoli

Here is a picture of my first broccoli.

[IMG]http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt322/stanley2/hydro/imagejpg1_zpsa31b6d78.jpg[/IMG]

gssgarden April 9, 2014 09:23 PM

aaaaawwww! soooo cute!! :)

Enjoy......in a couple weeks!!

Greg

peppero April 10, 2014 07:45 AM

LLOKS GOOD!

JON:yes::)

BucksCountyGirl April 10, 2014 10:06 AM

That is awesome! I always wait until too late to start my brassicas...

b54red April 10, 2014 12:54 PM

I usually grow Bonanza, Packman, Flash and Green Goliath or a mix of those. This year I ordered one called Coronado Crown from Harris seed and planted it along with Bonanza for my spring broccoli. The Bonanza is really early and is almost done with just a few side shoots remaining as I have already picked the main head and the first good crop of side shoots off of it. I am going to be cutting my first heads of Coronado Crown today and I must say they are very impressive. They are larger than the Bonanza but the best thing is how tight the heads are and what a small bead they have. I hope they taste as good as they look.

Bill

Rachel W April 10, 2014 02:55 PM

I planned my broccoli last week! Great job!

Stanley2 April 10, 2014 09:58 PM

Hi all I can almost taste it new pic

[IMG]http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt322/stanley2/hydro/imagejpg9_zps86dd6d7d.jpg[/IMG]

newatthiskat April 11, 2014 05:15 AM

This is my first year to try to grow Broccoli. have to let me know how it tastes compared to store bought

Vespertino April 11, 2014 03:39 PM

Not only is it cute as heck, I'll bet that it's just as delicious!

Tracydr April 11, 2014 09:59 PM

I've yet to have any luck with broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage or brussel sprouts. I'm waiting for our move to NC to try again.
I think we get too much fluctuation from hot to cold and too short of a cool season.
Looks like some nice broccoli!

b54red April 13, 2014 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=Tracydr;404410]I've yet to have any luck with broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage or brussel sprouts. I'm waiting for our move to NC to try again.
I think we get too much fluctuation from hot to cold and too short of a cool season.
Looks like some nice broccoli![/QUOTE]

Down here broccoli and similar plants are really affected by sudden changes in temps. Frequently in the fall it will be too warm when plants are set out and it doesn't cool down quick enough and they will head when very small resulting in small heads and side shoots. The same thing can happen in the spring if an early warm spell lasts too long the plants will go ahead and head before they are mature. It is always hit and miss for me with broccoli but I have learned more about when to plant over the years and as a result have gotten much better at producing a good crop most seasons. I think you will have better luck with them in NC once you get the hang of when to start seed and when to set them out.

Bill

Vespertino April 13, 2014 10:24 AM

Wow, I've never gown broccoli but I had no idea they were so temperature sensitive. Good to know! thanks Bill!

b54red April 26, 2014 06:46 AM

A follow up on the new variety I am growing called Coronado Crown from Harris Seed. Wow! Not only were the main heads large with a very tight bead but the side shoot production dwarfs the other varieties both in numbers and size. This will now be my main broccoli variety as long as it is available. I will still grow Bonanza because it is so much earlier but this year it couldn't compare in production and the heads were not nearly as tight or large.

Bill

RebelRidin April 26, 2014 07:38 AM

[QUOTE=b54red;407332]A follow up on the new variety I am growing called Coronado Crown from Harris Seed. Wow! Not only were the main heads large with a very tight bead but the side shoot production dwarfs the other varieties both in numbers and size. This will now be my main broccoli variety as long as it is available. I will still grow Bonanza because it is so much earlier but this year it couldn't compare in production and the heads were not nearly as tight or large.

Bill[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info Bill. What do you think the potential is for Coronado's Crown as a fall crop?

b54red April 26, 2014 12:14 PM

Rebel I don't know because this was the first time I have grown it. I will plant it along with Bonanza this fall and find out. It definitely takes longer than Bonanza but it was worth the wait. I have had better luck usually with quick maturing broccoli in the fall like Flash or Bonanza but since Coronado Crown was so superior I'm going to set some out this fall. I can tell you by the way it is producing side shoots in the heat right now that it holds better than most varieties in the heat.

Bill