Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   MMMM peppers (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45372)

Tormato June 20, 2017 04:36 PM

MMMM peppers

This will be a thread to discuss the pepper portion of the MMMM.

My idea is to again have a google/doc made for participants listing their wish lists (tomatoes and peppers).

For now though, perhaps people can chime in with what varieties are in their gardens, that they hope to save seed from. From there others may start their wish lists.

Categories for peppers may be...

Sweet bell
Sweet non-bell
Mild <10,000 Scoville units
Hot >10,000 , <100,000 Scoville units
Super Hot >100,000 Scoville units
Paprika
Ornamental

Any others?

I'd like to keep the total number of varieties "fairly" low. Quality and rarity over quantity.

greenthumbomaha June 20, 2017 06:04 PM

Tormato, is this a bagged blossom only swap? Anything unbagged as experimental? You had mentioned that bagging blossoms would be part of the criteria in years back, but from personal experience it wasn't so!

- Lisa

dmforcier June 20, 2017 07:07 PM

A good breakdown, but let me suggest an alteration to the list, please:
[LIST][*]Sweet bell[*] Sweet non-bell[*] Mild <10,000 Scoville Heat units (SHU)[*] Moderate >10,000 , <100,000 SHU[*]Hot >100,000, <900,000 SHU[*] Super Hot >900,000 SHU[*] Paprika[*] Ornamental[/LIST]Most growers consider "super-hots" to be 1M SHU and above. And believe me, there's a [I]yuge[/I] difference between 125K and 1.25M SHU. You would have them in the same category.

And shouldn't this be the MMPM? :surprised:

Tormato June 21, 2017 02:13 PM

People should send in packs marked bagged, if they are. There's no requirement in the swap, as most do not bag peppers. It likely makes for interesting grow-outs.

Tormato June 21, 2017 02:15 PM

[QUOTE=dmforcier;648542]A good breakdown, but let me suggest an alteration to the list, please:
[LIST][*]Sweet bell[*] Sweet non-bell[*] Mild <10,000 Scoville Heat units (SHU)[*] Moderate >10,000 , <100,000 SHU[*]Hot >100,000, <900,000 SHU[*] Super Hot >900,000 SHU[*] Paprika[*] Ornamental[/LIST]Most growers consider "super-hots" to be 1M SHU and above. And believe me, there's a [I]yuge[/I] difference between 125K and 1.25M SHU. You would have them in the same categ

And shouldn't this be the MMPM? :surprised:[/QUOTE]

Those categories look better. Also, if the SHU is known it can be included on the pack.

No MMPM. There won't be much of a mystery with pepper varieties, as everything coming in will be listed in a thread.

sdambr June 21, 2017 09:13 PM

I'll chime in with some varieties I have growing, some have a few pepper most do not yet.
Aleppo
Alma
Arroz con pollo
Biquino
Carmen
Dátil sweet
Ferher Onzon
Fish
Fooled you jalapeño
Grenada seasoning pepper
harissa spice pepper (don't have name, sister brought seeds from Morocco)
Hot Beaver Dam
Jimmy Nardello
Joe E Parker
Pink habanero
Poblano
Purple jalapeño
Shish-ito
Tam jalapeño

Currently I have not bagged any blossoms

AlittleSalt June 21, 2017 10:11 PM

[QUOTE=Tormato;648703]People should send in packs marked bagged, if they are. There's no requirement in the swap, as most do not bag peppers. It likely makes for interesting grow-outs.[/QUOTE]

There needs to be a, "What the heck is it" category :lol: I grew some mini bells that were supposed to be yellow. They were black and almost as hot as jalapenos. No, I didn't save seeds.

KarenD June 21, 2017 11:33 PM

Growing big red, sunbrite yellow, orange crunch and a couple of others.

Spike2 June 22, 2017 09:40 AM

Here are the peppers I am growing and hoping to have seeds from:

Aconcagua
Aleppo
Better Belle
Chinese Giant Bell
Enjoya
NuMex Big Jim
Orange Habanero
Poblano
Sweet Banana Pepper
Jimmy Nardello
Orange King

~ I am forgetting a few but will add later ~
added Better Belle!
Was thinking of my Urfa and Shish-ito peppers that didn't even sprout for me.

BigVanVader June 22, 2017 11:30 AM

I'm isolating and saving seeds from 7 pot primo. I also plan to save seeds from Ajvarski but they wont be segregated so may cross.

Gardeneer June 23, 2017 12:27 AM

Good start.

Here is whats growing in my garden :

[B]Sweet[/B] mini//non bell:
--Shisheeto
-- Pepperoncini'
-- Mini bells ( Orange, yellow, Red ...@ different stage ?. From grocery bought)
[B]Mild [/B]~~<10,000:
--Paprika , Jalapeno, Fresno, Poblano
[B]Hot[/B] : >10,000 < (?) 100, 000
--Cayenne, Chinese 5 color, Black Pearl, Numex Sunrise
[B]Sub-Super[/B] (?) > 100,000:
--- Scotch Bonnet
--- Bhut Jalokia

Except for BJ and Poblano , the rest is getting ripe pods.
But I have not saved any seeds yet. We still have long season ahead.

BTW: I have never grown peppers of any kind this well.
No disease no pest ( except one SB partially eaten by horn worm. But it recovered. ). Every one with pods are loaded. Poblano and BJ yet to produce. They were planted out late.
And the thing is that I have not provided them anything other than all purpose plant food.

pmcgrady June 23, 2017 09:50 AM

Looks like it's going to be a good year for peppers here. I planted 100 plants.

SWEET:
Enjoya
Etuida
Cheese (red, orange, yellow)
Chinese Giant
Yellow Monster
Douce De Espange
Big Bertha (F1)
Gypsy (F1)
Sweet Orange Crunch
Giant Red Bell (store bought)
Corno Di Toro
Mighty Mini Sweet (store bought)

FRYING:
Shi$hito
Corbaci
Mangangi
Giant Aconcagua
Golden Treasure

MILD:
Ancho San Luis
Mulato Isleno
Numex Big Jim
Joe E Parker
Guajillo
Pasilla Bajio

HOT:
Biker Billy (F1)
Hatch Up ( I grew out seeds from a small red chili pepper wreath I bought in Hatch NM,
2 different peppers came out of the grow out, one the peppers grow upright,
the other has peppers that hang down, both look the same when picked)
Hatch Down
Red Cayenne
Yellow Cayenne
Big Thai Hot (F1 and F2)
Bulgarian Carrot
Orange Habanero

SUPER HOT:
Red Ghost Scorpion

Tormato June 26, 2017 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=BigVanVader;648933]I'm isolating and saving seeds from 7 pot primo. I also plan to save seeds from Ajvarski but they wont be segregated so may cross.[/QUOTE]

Any way of bagging some Ajvarski blossoms? That variety only had a few packs come in, with several more requests that couldn't be filled.

BigVanVader June 26, 2017 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Tormato;650110]Any way of bagging some Ajvarski blossoms? That variety only had a few packs come in, with several more requests that couldn't be filled.[/QUOTE]

I can try, but it is not a promise. Super busy and they are already loaded with peppers. First red one is a few days away from eating. I was gonna save seeds from earliest from each plant (they set before I even transplanted so likely didn't out cross) The rest I will have to see if I have time. Also tbh waiting to eat one before I get to excited :lol:

Nvm, I forgot peppers self pollinate. I will cover some no problem. Here is a pic of one of mine. I planted 5. All are doing great and are more pepper than plant.

greenthumbomaha June 26, 2017 03:57 PM

Hi BVV, I read about this pepper and was interested in it too. I just called Baker Creek and they have over 4000 packs. If you don't have time and there is significant interest, perhaps an alternative would be a group buy.

Before I get too far ahead it would be interesting to see how the pepper does over the season, and if there are any growers in the north that have experience with Ajvarski. Does this pepper require a long head start indoors to germinate? What was your germination rate. Please keep us posted on your harvesting.

Thx, Lisa