Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Fruit, Flowers and Ornamentals (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Ideas for melon slings? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=24225)

kath July 23, 2012 11:21 AM

Ideas for melon slings?

I'm trellising cantaloupes and small watermelons on cattle panel and it's time to give them support. What have you used with good success? I have a lot of net bags from citrus fruits, woven sacks from bulk alfalfa seed meal and could scrounge up enough fabric, I think. Just looking for some tried and true techniques so I minimize loss. Thanks all!

kath

JamesL July 23, 2012 01:05 PM

Kath,
Pantyhose slings always worked well for my grandfather. They can hold a lot weight and don't retain any water.

kath July 23, 2012 01:17 PM

James- I might be able to get some of those. Maybe a stupid question, but do you know if he let the fruits develop inside the leg or if he used them like hammocks?

JamesL July 23, 2012 01:25 PM

Kath,
The only stupid question is the one not asked!!!;)

He did it hammock style. I remember he would occasionally use 2 in an X for xtra support.

Randall July 23, 2012 01:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kathy, I trellis my watermelon (Sugar Baby) and grow them into onion bags. They just fill and stretch the netting. Always works well for me. Here's a shot of one growing in the garden right now:

kath July 23, 2012 02:20 PM

Ok, that makes sense, James- I was a little worried about the hammock for fear the melon would somehow fall out.

Randall, thanks for the picture. I've got a lot of these things hanging around and I'm pretty sure I could tie them securely enough- maybe with zip ties.

I knew I could count on you guys- thanks much!:yes:

kath

JamesL July 23, 2012 02:40 PM

Randall,
I like that too!

Tania July 23, 2012 03:09 PM

[QUOTE=Randall;294017]Kathy, I trellis my watermelon (Sugar Baby) and grow them into onion bags. They just fill and stretch the netting. Always works well for me. Here's a shot of one growing in the garden right now:[/QUOTE]

Very neat idea, thank you for sharing Randall! I bet this may also work well for squashes.

kath July 23, 2012 07:36 PM

Well, it took a whole lot longer than I thought and DH's help but we had success with both the net bags and pantyhose slings.:yes: I was a scratchy mess and kinda crabby by the time we were finished, though, as I get quite a skin reaction to those spiny leaves.:evil:We found one poor watermelon that is firmly wedged into a square in the cattle panel so that one isn't going anywhere...guess when it's ripe we'll have to cut it in the garden.:lol:

Thanks again for sharing your tips!

kath

Mudman July 23, 2012 09:19 PM

Really surprised no one has suggested a bra. Is Worth not around today?

meadowyck July 23, 2012 11:23 PM

[QUOTE]Really surprised no one has suggested a bra[/QUOTE]:))

Although this is only a good idea if you wear a size parachute for support.....

Randall July 24, 2012 01:43 PM

Glad that all worked out for you, Kathy. I like the pantyhose technique also, James. It's pretty sleek. It may even impart a little Sheer Energy to those plants! :))

JamesL July 25, 2012 10:36 AM

Sheer Energy - Good one!!!

Rockporter June 18, 2017 10:14 PM

Bumping this thread.

Tonight I went out and discovered the new net pouches I made for my cantaloupe were stretching and tearing under the weight of the cantaloupe. I used the shower puffs I bought at Dollar Tree a few weeks back so I guess they aren't so good to use them. I added a new pouch over the tops of the ones that were tearing and used zip ties to tie them on again. I hope I can get through this season with these. I don't have any onion bags, or nylons. I think it's too windy here to try to support in a sling. They would come right off in a strong gust of wind we get out here.

Nematode June 19, 2017 08:48 AM

Mrs N's old knee highs or panty hose.
A tomato clip to trellising string will hold a small cantaloupe size melon.
Fruit is positioned inside the stocking, a hole is placed in the stocking so the clip can go through.