Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Gardening in the Green™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   New garden to be (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43096)

Tania November 12, 2016 01:07 PM

New garden to be

7 Attachment(s)
As many of you know, we bought a property in Columbia Valley, BC. It is almost on the US border, situated in a beautiful valley with a large lake (Cultus Lake), surrounded by mountains. It is 37.5 acres lot, mostly forest.

We hope to get a garden going by spring, so we can plant tomatoes and other veggies.

We are still in the process of moving, as it takes a very long time to move the farm, with all the birds and gardening equipment and greenhouses.

By now, we cleared 2 acres of forest and planted garlic. Now it is time to look for organic materials for mulch and fertilizer. We have 150+ birds (chickens and ducks), so this will be the main fertilizer source, but we are looking at finding enough hay to use as mulch. Found some local folks willing to part with their wet/spoiled hay for free. I am very excited.

The beauty of this land is that it has never seen any chemicals. It was always a forest, with some pasture cleared about 20 years ago. And there are no farms around that use any chemical fertilizers or pesticides/herbicides. SO it is absolutely pristine. :love:

Here is the cleared garden area.

jtjmartin November 12, 2016 02:03 PM

Tania:

Congrats on some lovely land! And as a newbie - thank you for all the work you've done with heirlooms.

It seems you have the wood available and equipment available. Have you thought of doing any experimental hugelkulture beds?

Jeff

dmforcier November 12, 2016 02:08 PM

Congratulations! I see a tomato ranch in your future.

[QUOTE] It was always a forest, with some pasture cleared about 20 years ago.[/QUOTE]
Are you sure about that? The tree pattern on the side of the hill in your first pic looks like it was logged, and I see no tree around you that looks older than maybe 70 years.

Still at least the land is pretty close to "virgin". Best of luck!

Tania November 12, 2016 02:26 PM

[QUOTE=dmforcier;599582]Congratulations! I see a tomato ranch in your future.

Are you sure about that? The tree pattern on the side of the hill in your first pic looks like it was logged, and I see no tree around you that looks older than maybe 70 years.

Still at least the land is pretty close to "virgin". Best of luck![/QUOTE]

Yep, I am sure. The area that was cleared 20 years ago has young alder forest at the moment. We cleared the older forest - and you'd probably be surprised that these very large trees are hardly 30-50 years old, not very good logging material.

Tania November 12, 2016 02:27 PM

[QUOTE=jtjmartin;599581]Tania:

Congrats on some lovely land! And as a newbie - thank you for all the work you've done with heirlooms.

It seems you have the wood available and equipment available. Have you thought of doing any experimental hugelkulture beds?

Jeff[/QUOTE]

Jeff, yes, definitely! Once we figure out how to move the logs into desired location, we will most certainly will! We loved our hugel beds in our old garden, they produce wonderfully.

twillis2252 November 12, 2016 02:33 PM

Enjoyed the pics. Beautiful property BTW! Know it will soon look like Eden! Best Wishes, Tom

AlittleSalt November 12, 2016 02:49 PM

The third picture is absolutely beautiful. I can imagine being there.

We live near an area with hills like that. The trees here are oak, elm and cedar/juniper.

Back to tilling the garden for me :)

Tania November 12, 2016 03:19 PM

Thank you folks! Yes, it is a very beautiful place, and so quiet.

We are not going to till. Only mulch. If the soil is too compacted (by the excavator that pulled trees), then it will be used for alfalfa patch.

No irrigation, except for the time when seedlings are planted.

The size of the area creates a challenge - not easy to haul things around, even with a small tractor. We do not want to ride tractor over the field, as it will compact soil.

Looking forward to figuring out the best way to start from zero!

nancyruhl November 12, 2016 04:58 PM

Oh, that is so beautiful. Idyllic, really. Is that your house and greenhouse in one of the pictures?
I don't think I would ever want to leave, except to see my grandkids, of course.
Do you plan to fence the garden in as you did on the last place? I think I see deer licking their lips behind a couple of those trees.

MrBig46 November 12, 2016 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can not find words!
Vladimír

Tania November 12, 2016 05:19 PM

[QUOTE=nancyruhl;599612]Oh, that is so beautiful. Idyllic, really. Is that your house and greenhouse in one of the pictures?
I don't think I would ever want to leave, except to see my grandkids, of course.
Do you plan to fence the garden in as you did on the last place? I think I see deer licking their lips behind a couple of those trees.[/QUOTE]

yes, fencing is a must :( Local deer has been already fertilizing the garden area.

This is a remote location, so we will not be leaving often - I will certainly will not leave the place except for my monthly hospital appts.

Father'sDaughter November 12, 2016 05:23 PM

Congratulations! It looks like a beautiful spot with a beautiful view.

Tania November 12, 2016 05:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here is a view from the deck.
The clouds below are above the lake.

[ATTACH]67299[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]67300[/ATTACH]

RJGlew November 12, 2016 08:22 PM

We get into the valley many times a year, primarily to ski the Powder Highway. It is a very beautiful area, and I hope you enjoy it.

Tania November 12, 2016 08:40 PM

[QUOTE=RJGlew;599655]We get into the valley many times a year, primarily to ski the Powder Highway. It is a very beautiful area, and I hope you enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

we do not have highways there, it is a very rural area, all private farmland, between Cultus Lake and the US border. I have a feeling we are in a different valley :)