Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   My first rhubarb crowns (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=40473)

enchant April 1, 2016 05:47 PM

My first rhubarb crowns
 
I ordered three Victoria rhubarb crowns from Johnnys Seeds.
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7757-victoria.aspx
They just arrived, and the instructions say to put them in the ground as soon as possible. My plans are to dig a new garden for them, but that won't be ready for a few weeks. In the meanwhile, I filled a large planter with compost and planted the three crowns in that.

At this point, they just look like dead sticks that you'd find on the ground. How long before I should see any life? I understand that I won't be harvesting anything this year. I just want to know at what point I should get concerned if I don't see any activity.

Tormato April 2, 2016 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enchant (Post 547803)
I ordered three Victoria rhubarb crowns from Johnnys Seeds.
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7757-victoria.aspx
They just arrived, and the instructions say to put them in the ground as soon as possible. My plans are to dig a new garden for them, but that won't be ready for a few weeks. In the meanwhile, I filled a large planter with compost and planted the three crowns in that.

At this point, they just look like dead sticks that you'd find on the ground. How long before I should see any life? I understand that I won't be harvesting anything this year. I just want to know at what point I should get concerned if I don't see any activity.

Hopefully planted right-side-up, and very shallow. I don't know when they'll break dormancy, but the first sign should be pinkish red bulges coming out of the crown.

twillis2252 April 2, 2016 02:35 PM

I planted Victoria and Canada Red in one of my planting beds two years ago in March. I fertilized heavily with manure, compost, used coffee grounds and an ample supply of mulch. By mid June I was able to obtain some very nice cuttings. Continued to harvest every six weeks into the Fall. Noticed two weeks ago nice healthy crowns under mulch. I would make sure they are planted correctly. Mulch them good and you should be rewarded with growth in short order...Good Luck!

Tormato April 2, 2016 03:51 PM

I've heard it's best not to cut (cuttings?). I twist/snap them off below the soil line.

rockman April 2, 2016 08:40 PM

Our Rhubarb is up 5'' . Yes we always pull to pick also.

twillis2252 April 2, 2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tormato (Post 548049)
I've heard it's best not to cut (cuttings?). I twist/snap them off below the soil line.


My faux pax! You are correct. I do twist the crowns at the base. Sorry for not being more concise...

Andrey_BY April 3, 2016 07:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My rhuburb today

enchant September 29, 2016 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twillis2252 (Post 548035)
I planted Victoria and Canada Red in one of my planting beds two years ago in March. [...] By mid June I was able to obtain some very nice cuttings.

Everywhere I looked, the common instructions were to not harvest anything during the first season. My plants were huge, but per instructions, I didn't touch them. I'd kinda like to know what terrible thing would have happened if I'd made a couple of strawberry rhubarb pies during this first season.

At any rate, fall is here and things are starting to wilt. Should I continue to not touch them and let the leaves and stalks just sit there and rot? Are there any steps I should take to "winterize" them?

brownrexx September 29, 2016 12:34 PM

Nothing terrible would have happened if you snapped a few stalks but oh well...

I just let the dead leaves of the rhubarb mulch the crown and I remove the debris in the spring.

If it gets really cold where you live, then you can apply a mulch of straw, leaves or any other organic material. The sprouts will start to push it up in the spring and you can pull it back then.

enchant September 29, 2016 12:39 PM

Excellent. Thanks for the good info!

rockman September 30, 2016 09:49 PM

We've had our fill by July. About mid Aug. I mow it off, and by mid Sept. we have tender 8" stalks. You can do the same by keeping the old pulled.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★