Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Maglia Rosa is excellent for containers and small spaces (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=30721)

wmontanez April 29, 2014 06:07 PM

I am growing it this year. Plan to use 5 gal pots...

ReginaAnn April 29, 2014 06:19 PM

Thanks. Sounds good

remy February 13, 2015 11:21 PM

Fred, How big do the plants get?

Fred Hempel February 13, 2015 11:42 PM

With no staking, they form low bushes. About 2-3 feet high. If they are in cages (in containers) they can vine up a bit. But we have never been able to get them to grow up much more than 3 feet when we try to trellis them.

They are very branchy, and very productive. The dense foliage can be a problem under some conditions.

remy February 13, 2015 11:54 PM

Thanks for the info!

BigVanVader July 31, 2015 10:19 AM

Excited that you added these to the Kickstarter project. I was planning on getting them anyway so win-win.

Fred Hempel July 31, 2015 10:30 AM

This tomato is back on the front-burner for us. We are producing seed this year, and it will be released to seed companies again this fall.

We are also working on getting other Artisan Cherry colors and flavors combined with Maglia Rosa bush habit. It is so productive and early. We probably should have been doing this sooner.

This really has all happened, to a large extent, because there are a handful of growers in different areas of the country who are very passionate about Maglia Rosa, and they have been hounding us for seed because it has been in such short supply the past couple of years.

Sun City Linda July 31, 2015 10:45 AM

[QUOTE=Fred Hempel;495149]This tomato is back on the front-burner for us. We are producing seed this year, and it will be released to seed companies again this fall.

We are also working on getting other Artisan Cherry colors and flavors combined with Maglia Rosa bush habit. It is so productive and early. We probably should have been doing this sooner.

This really has all happened, to a large extent, because there are a handful of growers in different areas of the country who are very passionate about Maglia Rosa, and [B]they have been hounding us for seed because it has been in such short supply the past couple of years.[/B][/QUOTE]

True. I recently tried to buy some to plant now. I think I found only one source, through, I think Amazon!

Fred Hempel July 31, 2015 10:49 AM

Yeah. I think this was the worst year for MR seed supply. But, we're going to fix that.

BigVanVader July 31, 2015 10:55 AM

[QUOTE] We are also working on getting other Artisan Cherry colors and flavors combined with Maglia Rosa bush habit. It is so productive and early. We probably should have been doing this sooner. [/QUOTE]

Make a blue one that taste good, is productive and dosent split when the wind blows. Please?

AdrianaG July 31, 2015 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If it is as flavorful as it is pretty, Maglia Rosa looks like a real winner!

Fred Hempel July 31, 2015 01:38 PM

I don't do blue. I eat blueberries.

[QUOTE=BigVanVader;495161]Make a blue one that taste good, is productive and dosent split when the wind blows. Please?[/QUOTE]

SharonRossy July 31, 2015 02:56 PM

Funny! I'm looking forward to MR also.

BigVanVader July 31, 2015 03:49 PM

[QUOTE=Fred Hempel;495227]I don't do blue. I eat blueberries.[/QUOTE]

:(

Fred Hempel July 31, 2015 03:58 PM

There are a large number of small breeders working on blues. Between the crowded field, and the non-trivial efforts needed to combine flavor and ease of harvest (issues with ripening cues) with blue color, I just can't justify working on them myself.

Perhaps most importantly though, I think some of us are sensitive to a "blue" metallic aftertaste that many don't detect. I find that when people give me a blue tomato and say it is a great one (and to them it is) I still get a funny taste in my mouth. It might be a sensitivity analogous to what some people (fortunately not me) experience when eating cilantro.