Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Seed & Plant Sources (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Tomato Fest (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=3838)

Mireille January 23, 2007 05:01 AM

Tomato Fest

I ordered about 50 varieties of tomato at Tomato Fest in the beginning of December. As of the first week of January I did not receive anything, I wrote to them. They told me that the envelope was send to me the second week of December. If I did not received it, it was probably stop at Customs. So they send me my order again but this time in 7 small envelopes. And I received all the envelopes. Just want to tell that not every company would do that. Thanks Tomato Fest. It's sure that I'll order again from them and that I'll tell to everybody how it is a wonderfull company. (excuse my english - I'm French - I hope you understand)

dcarch January 23, 2007 06:41 AM

Mireille,

I have ordered from them also. Great company.

Your English is very good. Better them many English speaking member's here :wink: .

Love your name. Love Mireille Mathieu's music.

Bien amicalement,

dcarch :wink:

carolyn137 January 23, 2007 10:53 AM

Just want to tell that not every company would do that.

Actually I think most would do that, as in replacing a shipment not received.

If your package was detained by Canadian Customs you would have received notification of that.

Having sent lots of seed to Canada over the years I know that they randomly might open a seed package, but they reseal it, put a label on it saying it was opened by them and send it along if they find no problems.

That's beeen my experience with Canadian Customs.

Now lets not get into the Canadian Postal system in general. :lol:

Mireille January 23, 2007 08:21 PM

US Post do the same. I send a few months ago a bubble envelope in Texas and the envelope never arrive. I though it was US Customs. Maybe it was lot but I send the seeds again in many Birthday Cards and they all reached Texas. So.......it's both ways.

michael johnson January 24, 2007 04:19 AM

Oi! Dcarch, your english is better than some of the english speaking members here. (quote) :lol:

If I were to break out in a sample of real english dialects from various parts of England -(and there are many) I seriously doubt if anyone would understand anything I say.

Real english dialects.

example one= (Lincolnshire) Cum yar ear mayet, mind the squad and watter.- ( come here my friend, and mind the mud and water)

2, (London-posh end) would you like a cap of tea and a battered ban.-(absolute claptrap )
2 B, East end,- I am firty free today.- (thirty three today)

3, Didycoy gipsies ,-- dick at the mushers.( look at those people)

4, Newcastle and upwards, wey eye man -( oh-yes-in agreement) very difficult to master for most people.

5, An overheard sentence
In a Lincolnshire church ( Church of England ) from a vicar called the rev Roy st,- Clare Pozey - trying to instruct a newly married man on the arts of love making ( quote- do you know anything about Coitus Interuptus ) - reply Oh yes matey- its like catching a train to London and jumping off at Birmingham . :roll: :roll: 8) :P - ( No available translation :oops: :oops: )
There is more- involving a drove of sparrows flying, but it's unprintable here :lol:
Needless to say- the rev-Roy St,-Clare Pozey shortly after that-booked a ticket on Quantas and high tailed it over to OZ, and is roaming around out there somewhere.

6, (Nottinghamshire ) what's up duck, are you ok ducky
- what's the matter my friend-are you alright dear) or 6,B- hey up me duck- ( an endearing term used when meeting a freind on the sidewalk- in order to draw their attention.

So you see what sort of quaint (Claptrap) we English have to try to decipher. :P

dcarch January 24, 2007 06:51 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dcarch

feldon30 January 24, 2007 10:34 AM

[quote=michael johnson]If I were to break out in a sample of real english dialects from various parts of England -(and there are many) I seriously doubt if anyone would understand anything I say.[/quote]

I've had a hard time trying to discuss gardening before with someone from your side of the pond. As near as I can make out, here are the translations:

In Britain, the entire back yard is the garden. In the U.S. the garden is the cultivated section of the backyard. Those cultivated sections are called beds in Britain.

In Britain, compost is any kind of soil, even soil that contains no organic matter. I haven't found an equivalent word for what we call compost, which is well-rotted manure, orange peels, kitchen scraps, etc. I'm not sure how one distinguishes between topsoil, potting soil, and clay soil.

michael johnson January 24, 2007 10:59 AM

You are entirely right of course (feldon27 ) that is the general outlook of the majority of uk folk- who are not real gardeners of any experience.

But people like me and you, plus most of the other members of TV and GW are much better informed and more experianced at the game- and therefore can usualy converse on a much more equal level of gardening conversation and personal experience -which of course took years to learn initially , which one day I hope to pass on to a younger member of our generation, :P

feldon30 January 24, 2007 11:33 AM

It would be grand to meet you and others on TomatoVille. ;)

I'm really looking forward to our Texas event in June.

travis January 24, 2007 05:57 PM

"East end - I am firty free today. - (thirty three today)"

Michael, is there a lot of rampant tooth decay in the East End?

PV

michael johnson January 24, 2007 11:04 PM

P.V- No- its seems that for some reason they never seem to learn to pronounce their TH's in that part of London. despite the best efforts of the school teachers.

In the posh end of London - where they speak with a false snobbery sort of accent, all this cap of tea and battered ban lark is purely people trying to behave in a simlar manner to the queen and royalty, but in reality the queen doesnt talk like that- she on the whole speaks perfect (queen's English ) except some of her children-who -when in their horse riding stables in their jeans and jumpers are often heard to cuss like troopers :P

sic transit gloria January 26, 2007 05:31 PM

Michael, how about a bit of the Yorkshire Dales dialect?

Zana January 26, 2007 08:58 PM

Many years ago, I attended an American college in London. Many of the students from the US were totally baffled and perplexed by British slang or alternate meanings for the same words. Common ones:

In a B&B: "What time would you liked to be knocked up?" Translation for those on this side of the Atlantic: "What time would like to be awakened?"

"My Dogs are barking." Translation: "My feet are aching."

One of the best in my opinion was watching their faces when asked for a "Got a fag?" Translation: "Got a cigarette?"

But the all time best anecdote was what happened one morning boarding the Tube (Underground/Metro/Subway) in a huge hurray with a group of fellow students. It was rush hour, packed trains and we were running late, and arrived at the station as this particular train was almost ready to leave. We all rushed for different doors, just as the doors began to close. Right behind me was the equivalent of a SWI/West Ender - but from Boston's Beacon Hill. She was so proper it was almost comical. When the doors almost closed as she was halfway into the train car, she announced into a very quiet car "Darn! Almost got my fanny caught in the door!" She was met by dead silent, followed quickly by a collective gasp, followed by uproarious laughter. She grabbed me by my coat lapels and demanded to know what she'd said. LOL...so into the now verrrrrrry quiet car, I explained, that in the UK, the fanny is not your backside, its the front. To which she turned almost purple with mortification and the car once again broke out in laughter.

Ahhhhhhhh yes....great fun.

michael johnson January 26, 2007 09:23 PM

Yorkshire Dales accent,

Sheffield and above. - si-thee youth ( now look here my good man) :D- the term youth, can mean from 10 to 70 yrs old.

And- Tha know-w-w's tha know. (you know all about it)
yorkshire people tend to use a lot of thee and tha and thou -in their dialect

It gets worse the deeper you go into yorkshire= you almost want a yorkshire/english dictionary to cope with it. :arrow:

michael johnson January 27, 2007 01:02 AM

Zana,- yes I see what you mean, :lol: :lol: :lol: - the word "fanny " in the uk certainly has a different meaning.
some confusion occured a few years ago with the introduction of those waist tied bags, called (Fanny-pack's) when girls bought them-they didnt quite know which way round to wear them :lol: - later on they changed the name to Bum-Bags which sorted it out a bit. :arrow:

There is also more confusion with the Welsh Girls names, which- if i can spell it right -is Muphanwee -probably spelt wrong- but it sounds like that when spoken, which if you didnt know before hand-it sounds for all the world like- My- F---Y. :P