Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   ???'s Amber Colored or Bursztyn (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=4196)

patty_b February 18, 2007 11:33 AM

???'s Amber Colored or Bursztyn

Starting to put together my grow list....I see both Amber Colored and Bursztyn on the SSE 2007 list. Are they different or the same tomato?? Seems like I read somewhere that they were the same but can't find it now. Thanks, Patty

carolyn137 February 18, 2007 12:01 PM

Re: ???'s Amber Colored or Bursztyn

[quote=patty_b]Starting to put together my grow list....I see both Amber Colored and Bursztyn on the SSE 2007 list. Are they different or the same tomato?? Seems like I read somewhere that they were the same but can't find it now. Thanks, Patty[/quote]

Patty, since the Bursztyn one in the Yearbook is said to come from Val in Canada, I would think it might be the same as Amber Colored, but no way to know until both are grown. I just got my new book on learning Russian, but I can't translate Bursztyn yet, to see if it has any relationship to the words amber-colored.

I've grown Amber Colored and still have those old seeds. :lol: I can't remember, aha, I just checked a back Yearbook and SSE itself listed it in 1995, from Russia ( read former Soviet Union) and that's where I may have gotten it from. I know there were several off beat ones that I got at the same time and they're all still in their vials in one of those 100 place scintillation boxes that I liberated from the lab that are so handy for storing vials.

I read the recent reports of others and so help me, their comments about taste are just not what I got. I grew it once, and that was it.

But I must confess that there were many varieteis I grew early on that perhaps should have gotten a second look but didn't.

Tania February 18, 2007 04:46 PM

Can't help since I don't know if these are the same tomato, but this is what SSE 2006 Yearbook said about Bursztyn:

"IA SSE HF HAS 4'6" indet., Regular leaf type, inserted stigma, round angular orange fruits, 2" dia. X 2" high, small blossom scar, no cracking, from CV Dabin, Poland, SSE TOMATO 3673."

Btw, Bursztyn is not a russian word; not sure what it means; might be a person's name??

I've seen a tomato called 'Bursztyn Amber (Amber COlored)' that was described as determinate; which must be different from the one above ([url]http://www.whitehillfarm.com/tomato_list.html[/url])

The Bursztyn tomato I grew last year was indet., and fit the SSE 2006 description.

grunt February 19, 2007 04:10 AM

Amber Colored vs Bursztyn

I went through all of the tomato databases that I have gathered from the web, and this is what I found:

AMBER COLOURED
Fruit jaune orangé de type "cerise" de 20 à 30 grammes. En grappe. Faible dépression à l'attache pédonculaire. Ombilic marqué par un point minuscule. Plant de 30 à 60 centimètres de hauteur. 60 à 70 jours. Croissance indéterminée. Variété fixée originaire de Russie.
TRANSLATION (Orange yellow fruit of type "cherry" from 20 to 30 grams. In bunch. Weak depression with the peduncular fastener. Umbilical point marked by a tiny point. Seedling from 30 to 60 centimetres height. 60 to 70 days. Unspecified growth [indeterminate]. Fixed variety originating in Russia.)
[url]http://ventmarin.free.fr/passion_tomates/passion_tomate.htm[/url]

AMBER COLOURED
Primary Color Yellow
Leaf Shape Regular Leaf
Growth Type Indeterminate
Reproduction Open-pollinated
Days To Maturity Mid (69-80 days)
Type Cherry
Size Small (grape/cherry varieties)
Usage Fresh, salad
[url]http://www.tomatoindex.com/index.cfm[/url]

AMBER COLOURED
Colour: amber-yellow Shape: round Size: 2'' Days to Maturity: 65-70
Taste Score and Comments: 7/10, nice mild flavour
More Details: dwarf 18''-24'' plants, puckered foliage | Determinate: Yes | Staking: No
Comments: Early and heavy producer. From Russia.
[url]http://www.seedsanctuary.com/[/url]

AMBER COLOURED
Reproductive Status open-pollinated
Growth Habit indeterminate
Leaf Shape regular
Fruit Color orange
Shape Longitudinal _
Average Weight 4 (oz)
Maturity very early
Primary Use _
Availability rarely available
[url]http://www.tomatoenthusiast.org/index.php?NT=Home[/url]

AMBER COLOURED
2" bright yellow-orange smooth globes on compact 2' vines; seedy with white flesh.
WI MI B 96 - IA SSE HF 95 - Russian Variety
[url]http://sev.lternet.edu/%7Ejnekola/Heirloom/plantlist.htm[/url]

Bursztyn OP ou (or) Bärnsten OP
Fruit rouge orangé rond légèrement aplati de 80 à 100 grammes. Légèrement côtelé en partie haute. Dépression moyenne à l'attache pédonculaire. 65 à 70 jours. Croissance indéterminée. Variété fixée originaire de Pologne.
TRANSLATION (Round orange red fruit slightly flattened from 80 to 100 grams. Slightly corded partly high. Average depression with the peduncular fastener. 65 to 70 days. Unspecified growth [indeterminate]. Fixed variety originating in Poland.)
I could find no other referent for Bärnsten in any of the databases I use.
What we have for a description of our offering in SSE (Val's listing) is
BURSZTYN * Det 2 - 4 oz amber 60 - 70 days RL 9# 4 oz
We garnered that description from growing the variety for two years. We got our seeds in 2004 from Jetta in Denmark. Where she obtained them, I do not know.
Bursztyn (our version) is a rather large determinate plant, and the fruit average between 2" and 3", with a few a bit larger. Colour is a beautiful amber/orange, and the taste is exceptional. Average yield is in the 10 lb range.

From the gather of info on the two varieties, I think we are looking at at least two, and perhaps four different tomatoes.

I will be posting tomato pics on picasaweb in the near future, and will make sure I get at least a couple of Bursztyn pics uploaded.
for those of you interested in small cold frames/greenhouses, I have an album posted there already ( [url]http://picasaweb.google.com/TVgrunt/Hoophouse[/url] )
Cheers
grunt

Andrey_BY February 19, 2007 05:07 AM

The original name for Amber colored tomato variety is Yantarnyi which can be translated as "Amber colored" from Russian in English :wink: This is a Russian CV from Russian seed company Sedek.

Yantarnyi - early, det. (30-40 cm high) rugose leaf plant with a good yield of orange, round 50-90 g fruits, sweet flavour, suit. for open soil growing in Zone 3-4

Bursztyn means "Amber" in Polish :wink: The same word, but with other writing "Bourshtyn" means Amber in Ukrainian and Belarusian languages. So I think they can be one and the same variety with Yantarnyi (Amber colored) :arrow: We had a massive seed exchange with our Polish friends in Soviet Union times so I suppose they can imported this variety from USSR and translated the original name in Polish :wink:

But I don't know what to do with determinate Yantarnyi (Amber Colored) and indeterminate Bursztyn :D :arrow:

grunt February 19, 2007 05:52 AM

Andrey: If the description for the original amber coloured (Yantarnyi) has it as rugose leafed, it is definitely not what I have been referring to as Bursztyn. I can easily see where the name Bursztyn could have been a corruption or translation from one of the other referents (Bärnsten, Bourshtyn). I can find no further information under those two names, and only the one reference for Bursztyn (outside of SSE, which has the one Tania quoted). You have access to sites in Europe that I cannot reach (or don't know of), and are closer to the original home, and heaviest use of, many varieties that we haven't even heard of over here. I am sure the reverse is also true, when it comes to north american varieties. With the addition of rugose to the mix, we might be looking at even more varieties being represented. I will be working on getting some tomato pics posted, which may help sort something out (or not)
Cheers
grunt

Andrey_BY February 19, 2007 06:08 AM

Grunt,

as I can see on seedsanctuary.com they mentioned "Amber Colored" having rugose (puckered) foliage as well :wink:

Ok, I'll try my best to search for Bursztyn in Eastern European web-sources. But I'm sure you have no chances to find anything under Bourshtyn because it's a direct pronounsation of our Belarusian/Ukrainian word and I've already done a web-search under this name in our languages with no entries. So this is another vote for Yantarnyi being one and only true Amber Colored tomato variety :D All other Amber colored have no connection with Eastern Europe I think...

grunt February 19, 2007 06:19 AM

Andrey: What ever they really are, butsztyn still tastes great, and that, in the end, is what truly matters about any of them. A rose by any other name...
Cheers
grunt

Andrey_BY February 19, 2007 06:49 AM

You are right - taste is everything :D

Bang! Just found another Russian CV - Yantarnyi 530 which has got indeterminate habit, round-oblate orange 80-100 g fruits and had been bred in the late 1990s by Creamean AES a branch of VNIIR.

Tania February 19, 2007 11:57 AM

Some pictures of Bursztyn (from Val :-)) from my 2006 garden.

[img]http://t-garden.homeip.net/!images/tomatoes/Bursztyn/2006-06-09_ripe.jpg[/img]

[img]http://t-garden.homeip.net/!images/tomatoes/Bursztyn/2006-09-01_fruits.jpg[/img]

very good taste, sweet and early 8)

patty_b February 20, 2007 08:41 AM

Tania...it was one of your pics that convinced me to track down Bursztyn, but it was in a grouping of four if I remember right. Looked yummy and comments were positive and I love the yellow orange tomatoes. Where did you orginially get your Bursztyn? Patty

grunt February 20, 2007 09:49 AM

I finally got a few tomato pics sorted out, and posted. They can be viewed at [url]http://picasaweb.google.com/TVgrunt/Tomatoes[/url] in about another half hour (they are still uploading - - - I have a dialup connection)
About the only thing they prove, as far as Bursztyn is concerned, is that what I am growing is not rugose leaved. The fruit pictured are about 3", and fairly plentiful. I believe we are using the same seed as Tania's Bursztn were grown from, which only points out that local soil and conditions can greatly affect what you get. there is a marked difference in our respective crops. The rest of the pics are of varieties that we have offered in trade, either last year or this. If you think any of the varieties shown do not look like what they should for their label, please let me know. I have to go on what I am told in the trades, and I do know that is not always 100% accurate.
Cheers
grunt

Andrey_BY February 20, 2007 11:22 AM

Dear Grunt,

excellent photoes!!!

But in order to be more accurate with the names, please, have a look at my correction (had already published them in Available for the Trade section :wink: ):

Alladyn's Lamp= [b]Lampa Alladina [/b](Russian CV Gisok)
ARBUUS=[b]Arbuznyi [/b](Russian CV Gavrish) - that Estonian e-shop which distribute Russian varieties as well at first translate from Russian in Estonian and them from Estonian in English :D
BALKON RAUBER= [b]Balkonzauber[/b] (German CV Saatzucht Quedlinburg)
BLACK MOOR= [b]Chyornyi Mavr [/b](Russian CV)
Dubrava= [b]Dubok [/b](both names work; Russian CV dev. by VNIISSOK)
Extreme North= [b]Krainiy Sever [/b](Russian CV)
Giraffe Abricot= [b]Giraf[/b] (from Russian CV bred by Edelstein's AES of famous Russian Timirjazev Agricultural Academy)
Khirh=Khirkhiv a.k.a Kharkov (Ukrainian heirloom - named after their city)
Lemon-Lean= [b]Choodo Sveta a.k.a. Lemon-Liana [/b](heirloom var., bred by Russian gardener A.Porozov from town Ryazan near Moscow)
MONOMAH'S HAT= [b]Shapka Monomakha [/b](Siberian amateurish variety)
Moscow Delicious= [b]Moskovskiy Delikates [/b](Russian Cv NC Seeds)
Moscow Lights= [b]Ogni Moskvy [/b](Russian CV bred by Vavilov Genetic Institute, Moscow)
Pink Novichok= [b]Rozovyi Novichok [/b](Russian CV Poisk)
Russian Persimmon= [b]Khurma[/b] (a Russian heirloom var. bred by Russian gardener N.P.Kustov from the small town Babushkin)
Russian Size= [b]Russkiy Razmer F1 hybrid [/b](Russian CV Gavrish)
SCHELICAUSKI= [b]Shchelkovskiy Ranniy [/b](Russian CV Poisk)
SLAVIC MASTERPIECE= [b]Slavyanskiy Shedevr [/b](Russian CV NC Seeds)
Beefsteak_Unikalny=[b]Unikalnyi[/b] (a heirloom var. created by Russian amateur gardener Igor Maslov)
VOLOVO SRCE (Oxheart)=[b]Volov'e Serdtse [/b](old Russian heirloom)
WOKOLADNYJ= [b]Shokoladnyi[/b] (Russian CV Aelita)
ZIGAN= [b]Tsygan[/b] (Russian CV NC Seeds)

Tania February 20, 2007 04:08 PM

Andrey,

Can I disagree with you on the spelling of

VOLOVO SRCE ?

I believe it is a correct Serbian spelling; and there is a Serbian variety with this name (not necessarily Russian), so I don't think this one should be corrected with 'Russian' spelling :D

grunt February 20, 2007 05:59 PM

Andrey, I do have that list from your previous post, and will add your versions to the captions, probably this evening. However, I have them listed as they were labeled when I received the seeds, and I have to stick to that for what I offer in trade. There may be localized variations that are evident (or not) in the strains that my seeds represent, and simply for tracking purposes the (mis)naming has to be followed.
I haven't tried to tack on the aka's to any of the seeds we trade, because, in some cases, that could add more text than the description amounts to.
Tania, you and Andrey are both right about the spelling of Volove Srce/Serdtse. I have seen pics of both versions of C/V seed packs. Which just goes to prove what I state above, if you are interested in tracking.
Cheers
grunt