Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Alliums (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Good source for seed garlic? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=2333)

supergirl August 8, 2006 12:29 AM

Good source for seed garlic?

As mentioned in my pesto post, I got a big kick out of growing my own garlic this year (much bigger than I get out of the other herbs, more a tomato-sized kick, maybe even bigger!):wink: I grew a softneck early Italian purple garlic. I really want to branch out and try a few different kinds next year. I don't have a lot of space, so I would like fairly small quantities of each kind, but preferably more than just one bulb. I'd also prefer a moderate price -- I found one place that had great sounding assortments of seed garlic till I realized it was [b]one [/b]head each of 6 types, for $18-20. :shock: I'm too new to garlic and unsure that I'll grow them all properly to spend $3 per head quite yet!! Any suggestions where I should look? Thanks!

Reign August 8, 2006 01:34 AM

I've been looking at the SSE site and considering some of those. Some people plant grocery store garlic. Your local Farmer's Market might have a decent and not expensive selection. Up side of buying at the Farmer's Market is you can taste before planting.

Irish-Eyes seems to have an good assortment. But they also seem rather proud of it. I'm new to garlic too. Fall will be my first planting.

sirtanon August 8, 2006 12:49 PM

There's a number of good places that I know of that have seed garlic available in sampler packs as well as stand-alone..

[url]www.thegarlicstore.com[/url]

[url]www.garlicfarm.com[/url]

[url]www.filareefarm.com/index.html[/url]

[url]www.garlicfarm.ca[/url]

[url]www.southernexposure.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=GAR[/url]

..hope this helps.

- Eric

supergirl August 8, 2006 08:19 PM

Thank you! Great links!! I just ordered an 8-variety sampler from Filaree Farms. I'd looked at them before, but couldn't find their site again when I was looking yesterday, and of course had forgotten their name. I like that they'll help pick warm climate garlics for me, since I don't have a clue yet. I can't wait to start trying an assortment and see which work best for me!

Polar_Lace August 12, 2006 06:54 PM

[color=green]Thank you very much for these links also; Eric![/color]

bizzarbazzar September 23, 2006 05:45 PM

I like [url]www.fox-hollow-farm.com[/url] and Laughin Farms for garlic. Of course Laughin Farms is limited 2 varieties. But music is a fav for me... and they have a great price too

Worth1 September 23, 2006 05:53 PM

Good lord yawll just reminded me, [color=green]IT'S GARLIC PLANTIN TIME[/color]!!!!! :D :D :D

Worth

bizzarbazzar September 23, 2006 07:30 PM

Yes it is, :)

Earl September 23, 2006 07:49 PM

I'm not sure how to do this, so I'll do it this way.

Anyone who posted above this post is qualified but there can only be one recipient. You'll have to decide amongst yourselves [if any of you are interested] as to will get the box. The only catch is, you'll have to share contents of box if any of the above posters are willing to send you shipping costs.

I have a LOT of hardneck garlic bulbils, small cloves, and a number of elephant garlic seeds saved from my garden this year. It's no-name garlic, but it tastes great. No need to let it go to waste. I'll send a box of it on my nickle to whoever is willing to spread it around. Plus I'll add some seeds of the best new tomatoes I grew this year as a bonus for the spreader-arounder. :-)

You guys can PM each other and let me know who to send the box to. If this isn't very clear as to what I'm saying, then ask questions.

bizzarbazzar September 23, 2006 08:12 PM

Hi Earl, I PM'ed you. I would love to receive the box and ship to anyone willing to send postage costs. Please let me know

Heather

Worth1 September 23, 2006 08:31 PM

I’m game and willing to send postage cost to whom ever it may concern.
((And a little extra for the trouble))
Send me a Pm and I will give whom ever it my concern my wife’s email she will send the money as I will be gone by then.

Worth

Polar_Lace September 23, 2006 10:15 PM

I already grow Russian Red; is there any difference in your hardneck garlic bulbs, Earl?

If anyone gets some of the elephant garlic seeds. Please pm me; I would like to try some of those too.

tjg911 September 24, 2006 01:36 PM

supergirl,

without a doubt if you can find garlic in a health food store or farmer's market that will be the best price and perhaps selection. imho, the few seed companies that sell garlic charge an arm and a leg for garlic. i bought several pounds so paying anywhere from a bargin $10 up to the normal $15 to the silly $20 a pound was just too much. many are sold out to boot. i paid $4 a pound at the farmer's market. a local farmer has around 17-20 varieties. great choices and great price.

tom

bizzarbazzar September 25, 2006 11:54 PM

Hi,

Earl is going to send the box to me, so for the posters on this forum, (above Earls post) let me know if you would like to be a part of his fabulous offer. That way when I receive the package, I can get everyones packages prepared too.

Take care

Heather