Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Preserving Your Harvest (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Washing your tomatos (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=38146)

cjp1953 August 16, 2015 09:25 PM

Washing your tomatos

I started washing my tomatos in a little dish soap with the sink filled with water.Seeing bird dropings on some of the plants made me think about getting them clean for my grandchildren before eating.I have had cats get in the garden in past years and worry about them spraying the plants and fruit.How do others wash there tomatos.Reading up on them just now says only water should be used.Would like imput from others.Thanks to all who reply.:?!?:

Worth1 August 16, 2015 09:33 PM

Well I dont and I think water would be okay but have you thought about a mild bleach solution of on table spoon per gallon of water.

It is a heck of a lot easier to rinse off.

Worth

joseph August 16, 2015 09:46 PM

I am an animal. I eat like an animal.

Therefore, I don't wash tomatoes.

cjp1953 August 16, 2015 10:03 PM

I thought about bleach but thought soaking them in a little dish soap and fresh water while I hand wash each one and rinse them in clean water would be safe.Ant thing wrong with that?

ginger2778 August 16, 2015 10:37 PM

You could also use vodka or any other drinking alcohol, and dip it in that, then evaporate off. Believe it or not, that is the active ingredient in Lysol spray that lets it kill 99.9% of all the germs.

cjp1953 August 16, 2015 10:48 PM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;499376]You could also use vodka or any other drinking alcohol, and dip it in that, then evaporate off. Believe it or not, that is the active ingredient in Lysol spray that lets it kill 99.9% of all the germs.[/QUOTE]
That's something I never thought about.But yet drinking alcohol does kill germs.Thank you,learn something new each visit to this forum.:)

KarenO August 16, 2015 10:53 PM

there are commercial products available specifically made for washing produce if you wish
Otherwise, a little dish soap won't hurt anything if you rinse it off.

KarenO

cjp1953 August 16, 2015 11:31 PM

[QUOTE=KarenO;499379]there are commercial products available specifically made for washing produce if you wish
Otherwise, a little dish soap won't hurt anything if you rinse it off.

KarenO[/QUOTE]
I was hoping to get your imput,that means alot to me.All of the ideas and answers to my question from all forum members are very important to me also.Thanks everyone.:)

RJGlew August 16, 2015 11:42 PM

[QUOTE=cjp1953;499367]I thought about bleach but thought soaking them in a little dish soap and fresh water while I hand wash each one and rinse them in clean water would be safe.Ant thing wrong with that?[/QUOTE]

Both soap & bleach are bactericides. If that is your concern then either will work, but do rinse them properly.

AlittleSalt August 16, 2015 11:50 PM

I don't wash tomatoes myself. If a bird chose the tomato to soil - it (The tomato) would become compost food. But I've grown mostly cherry tomatoes for the past 5 years. One less cherry tomato is no loss. I'll be learning next Spring/Summer about growing larger tomatoes like McKinley, Stump, and Texwine.

Washing with Vodka...interesting idea.

RJGlew August 16, 2015 11:58 PM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;499387]Washing with Vodka...interesting idea.[/QUOTE]

Waste of vodka, unless in a blender.

ginger2778 August 17, 2015 07:56 AM

[QUOTE=RJGlew;499389]Waste of vodka, unless in a blender.[/QUOTE]
I actually don't do this myself, I just use water and rubbing. But you can buy some awfully cheap vodka. I think you can even get cheap cooking wine, but it has a lot of salt in it. Of course, you would thoroughly have to rinse it off.;)

FarmerShawn August 17, 2015 08:08 AM

I remember reading recently that tomatoes actually absorb water through their skin. The recommendation in this thing I read was to use water of the same temperature as the tomatoes to minimize the effect, which can result in splits. If that's true, I'd avoid soapy water, since I doubt the tomato flavor would be enhanced by any soap at all!

Labradors2 August 17, 2015 08:42 AM

Vinegar would work too. I have a spray bottle of vinegar which I use on my hands to remove the tomato tar before washing with soap. However, I am happy with just plain water to rinse my tomatoes.

Linda

coronabarb August 17, 2015 10:03 AM

I would use just water, unless there was a big amt of droppings...in which case I'd throw it away. That's what I do with chicken eggs...I don't wash them. If they need washing because of poop on them, I don't eat them. I would wonder if using soap would leave a lingering flavor?