Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   2021 Must Grow AGAIN Lists (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=50740)

kr222 December 25, 2020 08:01 PM

2021 Must Grow AGAIN Lists

If you're anything like me, you've already been dreaming of your 2021 garden. I was wondering which varieties are returning for you next season; the ones you love and must grow again! My space is limited, so having varieties that perform well and consistently here in PA are key.

MY MUST GROW AGAINS:
Cherokee Purple
-the first non-red variety my dad has ever dared to try and requested I ONLY grow
those next year 😂 ).
Kellogg's Breakfast
Black Krim
Cherokee Green
SunGold (my only hybrid)

littleukgarden December 26, 2020 01:05 AM

Sungold is my only hybrid for next year, I will also regrow 1 Hawaiian Pineapple I think, but of the 15 varieties from last year only those going forward - along with at least 25 new varieties for me! Inc Cherokee Chocolate, Rosella Purple, Uluru Ochre, Hoy, Oaxacan Jewel, Rose, Big White Pink Stripes, Carbon and lots more! But you are not alone in dreaming of next years goodies already!

Labradors2 December 26, 2020 08:45 AM

The faves that I must grow every year are:

Blush
Bulgarian Triumph
Little Lucky
Maglia Rosa

Linda

wxcrawler December 26, 2020 01:02 PM

My Must Grows...

This list seems to get longer every year.

KARMA Peach
KARMA Miracle
Captain Lucky
Aunt Ginny's Purple
Black Cherry
Break O'Day
Yellow 1884

Lee
Tulsa, OK

FarmerShawn December 27, 2020 02:04 PM

This is just a core must-grow list (I grew ~350 varieties last year - I've got it bad!) but it includes:
Brandywine, both Cowlick's and Sudduth's
BKX
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Amazon Chocolate
Amish Paste
Bloody Butcher
Blush
Eva Purple Ball
Druzba
Stupice
Sungold F1
Big Beef F1
Wes
Pink Honey
KBX
Orange Russian 117
Cherry Bomb F1
Fox Cherry
Matt's Wild Cherry
Russian Mini Yellow
Black Cherry
Opalka
Helio
Shokoladnaja Sosulka (sp?)
Several accidental crosses almost ready to be shared at large.

There's more, but that's what come to mind right now...

sjamesNorway December 29, 2020 05:18 AM

Indian Stripe PL
Captain Lucky
Not Vintage Wine
EM-Champion
True Colours

Steve

Milan HP December 29, 2020 05:36 AM

Hello FarmerShawn,
have you ever tried another Czech cultivar Start F1? It's almost as early as Stupice (DTM about 60), more fruit-bearing and incomparably better in taste. Indeterminate, 8', middle-sized red fruits 80 - 100 grams, excellent for any sort of use.

MrBig46's favorite of all times. And mine too.

Milan HP

FarmerShawn December 29, 2020 11:25 AM

[QUOTE=Milan HP;760845]Hello FarmerShawn,
have you ever tried another Czech cultivar Start F1? It's almost as early as Stupice (DTM about 60), more fruit-bearing and incomparably better in taste. Indeterminate, 8', middle-sized red fruits 80 - 100 grams, excellent for any sort of use.

MrBig46's favorite of all times. And mine too.

Milan HP[/QUOTE]

Huh! Never even heard of it! Since it's a hybrid, do you know of a seed source stateside?
Shawn

Milan HP December 29, 2020 12:02 PM

I am afraid there isn't a source within the States. But I believe that can be resolved if you are really interested.

Milan HP

KarenO December 29, 2020 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mostly I use my limited space for my projects but I do grow some others each year as well that I want to try and the tomato Lucky Agi F1 from Artisan Seeds was absolutely great. Beautiful plant, excellent flavour.
I’ll definitely grow it again.
KarenO

Yak54 December 29, 2020 02:52 PM

My 2021 grow again list is short but for me it is Lucky Cross, SOTW, and Polish. I'm making room for some new varieties to try and going to skip a couple of favorites for 2021 then get back to them in 2022, God willing.

Dan

hl2601 December 29, 2020 08:49 PM

Hmmmm...big ask here.

My list would include:
Thessaloniki
Swoon
Seek No Further Love Apple
Dwarf Ivalde Trial
Lime Green Salad
Schokoladnaja Sosulka
Lucid Gem
Elgin Pink
Aunt Ginny's Purple
Goldie
Black Cherry
Iva's Red Berry
Japanese Cherry
Amurskyi Tiger
Lucky Tiger
Heidi
and that's it for now...too many favorites...too little garden space.
Heide

Salsacharley December 30, 2020 10:06 AM

Apart from shape, how much difference is there between Lucky Agi and KARMA Miracle?

[QUOTE=KarenO;760853]Mostly I use my limited space for my projects but I do grow some others each year as well that I want to try and the tomato Lucky Agi F1 from Artisan Seeds was absolutely great. Beautiful plant, excellent flavour.
I’ll definitely grow it again.
KarenO[/QUOTE]

Fred Hempel December 30, 2020 11:56 AM

[QUOTE=Salsacharley;760863]Apart from shape, how much difference is there between Lucky Agi and KARMA Miracle?[/QUOTE]

Will be interested in Karen's response, but here is mine.

Flavor is different. KARMA Miracle more like a big tomato maybe, but both are sweet.

Lucky Agi has longer shelf life and is more durable. Less prone to split.

KARMA Miracle is thin skinned and ripens with a softer texture.

KARMA Miracle has more green hues in our field. Kind of like a mini Captain Lucky. Lucky Agi fruits are more rust-colored. They have green stripes.

KARMA Miracle is potato-leaf. Both varieties pretty vigorous and disease resistant under most circumstances.

If you like soft tomatoes with thin skins, KARMA Miracle is definitely the choice. If you like (or need) longer shelf life and more durability, Lucky Agi is your choice. I think that is the most striking difference between the two varieties. Otherwise, the differences are more subtle and dependent on individual taste.

KarenO December 30, 2020 08:21 PM

[QUOTE=Salsacharley;760863]Apart from shape, how much difference is there between Lucky Agi and KARMA Miracle?[/QUOTE]

There’s very little similarity Charley. Kmiracle is stable open pollinated, it’s potato leaf, it’s a clear epi gwr and pink bicolour that looks a bit like a very small captain lucky. It has no stripes and it’s not an elongated tomato. Skin is thin like the other KARMAs. Does not keep as well. Splits more easily.
No common ancestors at all I’m quite certain.
For myself in my garden I like Miracle better ( sorry Fred ;)) but if I was selling tomatoes I would grow lucky Agi because they would hold much better and they do taste excellent.
KarenO