Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Potatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Fingerling potatoes, best variety? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35574)

pmcgrady March 18, 2015 10:16 PM

Fingerling potatoes, best variety?

wondering what are the best varieties to try in central Illinois? I know it's a little late

AlittleSalt March 18, 2015 10:41 PM

The Russian Banana fingerling potato is the one I wanted to plant, but I never found it. It is recommended for growing in my area in Texas. I did many searches for central Illinois, but didn't find anything useful. I even looked up fingerling potatoes for Chicago and still didn't find anything useful.

Everything I've read about Russian Banana fingerling potatoes - sounds really good. Buttery tasting with a waxy skin.

pmcgrady March 18, 2015 11:02 PM

I go to Madison WI every once in a while to visit, they have an awesome farmers market on the square downtown on Saturdays... Always have a nice selection of fingerlings, but by that time it is way to late to plant them here... and I haven't had any luck keeping any over winter. Any good sources of seed fingerlings would greatly be appreciated.

Farmette March 18, 2015 11:04 PM

In southeastern Wisconsin, I have grown Banana, Magic Molly and French Fingerling, all bought from Fedco. The one that produced the most for me was Banana, then FF and then Magic Molly. All were very tasty and I will be growing them all again this year.

PNW_D March 19, 2015 12:04 AM

Amazing harvest from one hill of French Fingerling last year - one small potato purchased as local farmer's market used as seed - these are nice roasted

[URL]http://pnwtomatoes.blogspot.ca/2014/08/july-22-plot-5s-bounty.html[/URL]

Fusion_power March 19, 2015 01:29 AM

I've grown a dozen, Ozette, Banana, etc. I give high marks to Russian Banana for texture and flavor, but production is about half what I expect from La Ratte. I also love the flavor and testure of French Fingerling. My vote would be to grow La Ratte and French Fingerling.:panic:

drew51 March 19, 2015 08:40 AM

I never grew potatoes before so this year is the first year, and i have to grow them in a root pouch as I have no more room in ground. My wife said i should grow finerlings, but I already ordered some Yukon Golds. I'll try them next year. I grow garlic and was thinking of growing Ozette, which is sold at the nursery i buy garlic from
[URL]http://www.filareefarm.com/seed-garlic-for-sale/Ozette-Fingerling-Potato.html[/URL]

They sell a couple others, but maybe I should grow the Banana as the nursery also state it is the easiest to grow.

TC_Manhattan April 17, 2015 04:39 PM

I found Russian Banana fingerlings at my local Whole Foods and gonna give 'em a try planting.
1 1/2 lbs. for 3.99. I've had luck before growing from grocery-bought potatoes like this.

Worth1 April 17, 2015 05:02 PM

I like the Russian fingerlings and not a fingerling but I love the things are the Dutch Cream potato.
You should see what I can do with them with nutmeg, mace Irish butter white pepper and heavy cream.:love:

Worth

Lindalana April 22, 2015 05:25 PM

our local Menards carried 3 or 4 varieties, needless to say I got them all to try. I will be planting around May 1, hoepfully.

heirloomtomaguy April 22, 2015 07:41 PM

I have grown russian banana and austrian crescent and both were good. If you are going to grow a supermarket or farmers market potato make sure it is organic. Conventionally grown potatoes have a growth inhibitor sprayed on them so than can sit on the shelf without sprouting for alot longer.

jon_dear April 23, 2015 02:05 PM

Last year I grew papa cacho. They grew great long red fingerlings with some pink in the flesh. It was one of our favorites for roasting. I grew 15 different varieties of potatoes looking for ones that performed well in less than ideal soil, as well as the ability to set true potato seed. This year the winners will get better soil to see how they perform.

TC_Manhattan April 25, 2015 10:57 AM

Papa Cacho is one of the varieties I'm trying this year, along with Peanut, French Fingerling, Rose Finn Apple, and LaRatte (all from The Maine Potato Lady).

Oh, and also the Russian Bananas I found at Whole Foods. We'll see.

JoParrott April 25, 2015 11:22 AM

Worth, if I didn't have a hubby and a home I would like to come live with you--LOL! You do the most interesting things, and the food you create sound wonderful, not to mention your escapades that you post about. I think you must be one of the most interesting- and real people in the world. You are a treasure!

Worth1 April 25, 2015 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=JoParrott;467743]Worth, if I didn't have a hubby and a home I would like to come live with you--LOL! You do the most interesting things, and the food you create sound wonderful, not to mention your escapades that you post about. I think you must be one of the most interesting- and real people in the world. You are a treasure![/QUOTE]

Thank you very much.
Sometimes people say the nicest things about me and I dont know why.:?

I would surely hope if that if the ones that haven't met me would still feel the same way if they did meet me.

Yes I have been called real many times by many people.
Some people dont like it.:lol:

Worth