Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Legumes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Pea seeds and a brief cold snap (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43829)

ARgardener February 6, 2017 01:42 PM

Pea seeds and a brief cold snap

This is my first TV post... so hello all!

I am located in central Arkansas, zone 7b. On Saturday I planted spinach seeds and, after a brief soak, pea seeds. Now, the forecast for this week is unseasonably warm (highs near 70). On Thursday, we will have a brief cold snap with nighttime lows dropping to around 33... this is only for one night though.
I'm thinking that because of the soak and warm temps, the germination gears will be turning in the seed by the time this cold night comes; I'm worried about my little seeds. Will these low night temps destroy my hopes of a beautiful patch of peas?

Will they be alright or are they doomed? Should I cover the row with visqueen for that night?

Patihum February 6, 2017 03:04 PM

Both the spinach and pea seeds should be fine. Light frosts won't hurt either one.

shelleybean February 6, 2017 05:31 PM

Welcome!

I agree. They'll be fine.

pmcgrady February 6, 2017 06:37 PM

Yep they will be ok

jmsieglaff February 6, 2017 08:17 PM

If your springs progress into summer as rapidly as they do in WI, if your spinach and peas aren't getting cold every now and again you're not planting them early enough! :yes:

ARgardener February 6, 2017 08:22 PM

[QUOTE=jmsieglaff;616593]If your springs progress into summer as rapidly as they do in WI, if your spinach and peas aren't getting cold every now and again you're not planting them early enough! :yes:[/QUOTE]

I've no doubt things will get cold again in early march.. that's how it usually goes down here! Next year I may plant sooner though :yes:

ARgardener February 14, 2017 04:06 PM

Everything seems to have come out just fine. Peas are all coming up quickly, spinach is taking a while (???) but not giving up on it yet!

jmsieglaff February 14, 2017 04:08 PM

[QUOTE=ARgardener;618891]Everything seems to have come out just fine. Peas are all coming up quickly, spinach is taking a while (???) but not giving up on it yet![/QUOTE]

Depending on soil temps my spinach takes 7-21 days to sprout, just depends what the weather does after I plant them.

I think I might get nuts this year with our warm weather as of late. Once the soil is scratchable (not even workable) in the bed along my deck, I might sow spinach and cover with row covers and go for the earliest spinach crop ever from our garden!

MissMoustache February 14, 2017 06:12 PM

[QUOTE=jmsieglaff;618892]Depending on soil temps my spinach takes 7-21 days to sprout, just depends what the weather does after I plant them.

I think I might get nuts this year with our warm weather as of late. Once the soil is scratchable (not even workable) in the bed along my deck, I might sow spinach and cover with row covers and go for the earliest spinach crop ever from our garden![/QUOTE]

This is my plan too. If it's like last year I'll need to plant very early then cover up in early may for the last freak snowstorm :twisted: :dizzy:

MuddyToes February 15, 2017 10:03 PM

I overwintered spinach, mache, lettuce, cilantro, arugula, and cabbages. I'm hoping to put some fresh seeds in my raised beds soon, but the squirrels are searching them every day and the even broke through my row covers. I'm not sure if I want to risk losing more crops until I get the squirrel problem figured out. But it's definitely time to plant cool season crops here.

Congrats on your peas, AR. I'm sure your spinach will pop up soon. My spinach and orach took a long time to germinate.

ARgardener February 15, 2017 10:31 PM

[QUOTE=MuddyToes;619273]Congrats on your peas, AR. I'm sure your spinach will pop up soon. My spinach and orach took a long time to germinate.[/QUOTE]

Thank ya! How long did your spinach take? It's been so warm here I figured they'd pop in a hurry.

MuddyToes February 15, 2017 11:13 PM

I planted the seeds in late September but they didn't germinate. We had a very hot summer. I put down more seeds in early October and didn't see much green until November. The spinach survived the winter. I ate most of it last week. I harvested the orach around Thanksgiving.

ARgardener February 18, 2017 01:15 PM

Highs have been in the upper 70's some days and mid to low 50's on others.. 2 weeks after sowing, I've got 10-20 percent germination on my bloomsdale spinach.
Wonder if they're done coming up???

What went wrong?

Patihum February 18, 2017 03:41 PM

Have you had any rain? If not have you been watering? Lastly how old are your seeds? I've had spinach come up between 1-3 weeks apart when the weather especially moisture isn't ideal.

ARgardener February 18, 2017 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=Patihum;619792]Have you had any rain? If not have you been watering? Lastly how old are your seeds? I've had spinach come up between 1-3 weeks apart when the weather especially moisture isn't ideal.[/QUOTE]

Yes, we've had rain. The seeds are brand new... just got them back in December from Baker Creek.