Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Orange Habaneros (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44858)

Spike2 May 5, 2017 02:28 PM

Orange Habaneros

Does anyone grow these? I started a couple of plants and they sure are tiny little things. Are these just slow growers? Are they just small plants? Did I do something wrong? They look perfect just tiny.

Spike2 May 5, 2017 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay went and took a picture. The Orange Habanero is on the left and a Sweet Banana Pepper on the left. Both planted at the same time.

pondgardener May 5, 2017 03:47 PM

I'm growing some Scotch Bonnets, which are similar to orange habaneros, and plant size is similar to yours. Which is why they have a longer growing season than other peppers. I plant mine in late May and probably lucky to get anything until late September or October. But if they are started in a warm, humid space, they should take off.

peppero May 5, 2017 03:51 PM

I grow them every year and they just seem to sit there and do VERY LITTLE until SUDDENLY, they're growing. I have one I wintered over and it slow putting on growth. Just be patient and you will be rewarded.

Jon

Spike2 May 5, 2017 05:34 PM

Thanks!! I was so worried that I did something wrong or ???? But the plant is simply perfect! Just little. So I will quit worrying and let it be!

Worth1 May 5, 2017 05:40 PM

[QUOTE=peppero;637398]I grow them every year and they just seem to sit there and do VERY LITTLE until SUDDENLY, they're growing. I have one I wintered over and it slow putting on growth. Just be patient and you will be rewarded.

Jon[/QUOTE]

True

Country Breeze May 5, 2017 06:46 PM

They need high temps and humidity to thrive and grow in their long season.

Bright light, 80* temps from the time you start the seed, to the time you transplant outside. Think of a tropical environment, that's what it needs to grow well. It should take off with high light and temps. Lots of waiting in our northern climate.

ScottinAtlanta May 5, 2017 06:56 PM

All of the superhots grow more slowly than the sweet ones. They are more complex chemical factories, after all.

Worth1 May 5, 2017 07:07 PM

[QUOTE=ScottinAtlanta;637436]All of the superhots grow more slowly than the sweet ones. They are more complex chemical factories, after all.[/QUOTE]

You might be on to something never thought of it that way.
They do tend to just suddenly explode in the summer.
Worth

Cole_Robbie May 5, 2017 07:32 PM

Big Sun Habanero is my favorite.

Worth1 May 5, 2017 07:41 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;637449]Big Sun Habanero is my favorite.[/QUOTE]

Brother you need to start fermenting peppers.
Seriously.
Worth

RayR May 5, 2017 07:48 PM

Spike, your Habanero and Sweet Banana peppers look just like mine right now. Perfectly normal.

ScottinAtlanta May 5, 2017 09:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And here is the advantage of over wintering the superhots - I already have ripe Chocolate Congos and Yellow Scorpions, in early May.

dmforcier May 10, 2017 06:52 PM

[QUOTE=ScottinAtlanta;637436]All of the superhots grow more slowly than the sweet ones. They are more complex chemical factories, after all.[/QUOTE]

Not exactly. Same chemicals, just a tad more of one particular. And one can hardly call Orange Habanero a "superhot".

Habs are [I]C.chinense[/I] while IIRC Banana peppers are [I]C.annuum[/I]. Chinense just tales longer to get cranked over than annuum. Don't worry; when it really gets going it will make the banana look like the piker.

dmforcier May 10, 2017 06:53 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;637449]Big Sun Habanero is my favorite.[/QUOTE]

Big Sun is a PITA to grow, but I like 'em too.