Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Chipmonks in my garden (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=50349)

cjp1953 June 3, 2020 09:05 PM

Chipmunks in my garden

This is new as I never had problems before but I notice they have holes everywhere,How can I get them to move without killing them as a last resort?

b54red June 3, 2020 09:29 PM

Get a couple of miniature dachshunds and they will terrify them and try to catch them constantly. They are rabid rodent hunters although they rarely catch one they will drive most of them away. We have five of them and though they aren't too good at keeping squirrels away they sure are a bane to the chipmunks in the area.

Bill

cjp1953 June 3, 2020 10:23 PM

We had a mini doxie that lived to 18 years when we had our kids.I really don't want another.Both daughters have them now.

Father'sDaughter June 3, 2020 11:48 PM

They are incredibly bad here this year as well and we have traps out trying to make a dent in the population before garden plants start setting anything.

taboule June 4, 2020 08:17 AM

We have tons of them here too this year, they gather and feast around the bird feeders. They also dug into many plants still in pots that are hardening on the porch. As i wrote in another thread, pests are early and numerous this year.

MuddyBuckets June 4, 2020 07:42 PM

Try This Fur Bomb

Not sure if it will work for chipmunks, but...I have used this for the last several years with pretty good success to keep squirrels off the bird feeders.

Brush your or someone else's pet dog or cat until you have a ball of pet fur the size of a baseball. Cut the foot out of some nylon pantyhose (or footie or stocking) about 8" long, wad the fur up and insert into the foot of the pantyhose, rough it up to release the oils in the fur, tie a knot so there is some "leg" left on the stocking. Place these in the garden around the chipmunk holes. If they are like the squirrels, the scent of a predator will deter them from activity.

Now quit laughing and try a solution that MAY work. Friends always ask "What is that hanging from your bird feeder?", my response: predator fur bundle.

Please post your results and again quit laughing...

b54red June 5, 2020 03:22 AM

When the squirrel population is too high and they head for my garden the first thing I do is get some blood meal and sprinkle it around and on their favorite target plants until I can thin out the worst offenders. It really repels them until it rains heavily then it needs to be reapplied. I am not sure how effective it is on chipmunks but they seem far less bold than squirrels so I assume it would work even better with them.

Bill

cjp1953 June 7, 2020 09:13 AM

I may have scared the chipmunks away.I hung tin foil pie pans on my tomato cages.Between the noise and light reflection off of them I have not seen any digging or signs of them in the garden.I see them around the neighbors rock wall now as that's were they came from to begin with.

clkeiper June 8, 2020 07:45 AM

we got a monster kitten last year and he loves to hunt for chipmunks. he's a good boy.

cjp1953 June 8, 2020 10:33 AM

[QUOTE=clkeiper;756903]we got a monster kitten last year and he loves to hunt for chipmunks. he's a good boy.[/QUOTE]
LOL,I'm allergic to cats I just watered my garden and the pie pans are working.The way it reflects sun and noise is for now working.:D