Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Gardening in the Green™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Actinovate and Exel LG application instructions for hose-end sprayer (large areas) (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=17203)

Suze February 20, 2011 11:03 PM

Actinovate and Exel LG application instructions for hose-end sprayer (large areas)

I thought some folks might find this helpful if you've got a whole lot of plants to foliar spray, want to treat your turf with Actinovate, or have any other large areas to do that makes it time-consuming or impractical to use a pump or other hand-held sprayer.

I use an Ortho Dial and Spray, but any brand of hose-end sprayer that allows you to control the dispersal rate should work too.[LIST][*] Add 2 2/3 Tablespoons of Actinovate to a one gallon watering can. Add a little cool or tepid (not scalding hot) water and get it to go into solution by stirring or agitating, then fill to the top. You can also add some spreader/sticker if you'd like.[*] Fill Ortho Dial and Spray up to the 32 oz mark (which is the top mark) from the watering can.[*] Set dial / dispersal rate to 8 oz.[*] Spray. If applying to turf or doing a soil drench, I'd suggest you apply after it rains, run your sprinkler system, or wet down the area a little first. That way, you'll get better soil penetration. Or, I suppose you could lightly water in after applying.[*] A one gallon watering can will fill the Dial and Spray 4x. (gallon is 128 oz, 32oz is 1/4 of 128.)[*] By following these instructions, you'll be applying at the rate of 1/2 teaspoon Actinovate per gallon of water.[/LIST]Math/logic:[LIST][*] 8oz setting (per gal) on the Ortho Dial and Spray applies at 1/16 strength - 128 oz (one gallon) divided by 8 oz = 16[*]2 2/3 Tablespoons = 8 teaspoons (quicker to use a 1 TBSP measure and just eyeball that third scoop for about 2/3)[*]Recommended application rate for soil drench or foliar is 1/2 teaspoon per gal. Label says 1 teaspoon per two gallons, same thing...[*]Hence, 8 divided by 16 gets you to the 1/2 teaspoon application rate[/LIST]I add about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of liquid molasses to the watering can, because it helps feed soil microbes and also has a spreader/sticker effect. If doing so, you'll want to put the molasses in first, add some hot water to get it to go into solution (stir), add enough cold water to cool things down a little before adding Actinovate (stir again), then fill to the top.

Note that they do make a granular product for lawns (Actino-Iron), but it is rather pricey if you have any significant amount of turf to treat, and can be hard to find.

newatthiskat February 20, 2011 11:17 PM

Thanks for the great info Suze! I will definately try this method!
Kat

amideutch February 21, 2011 12:44 AM

Good stuff Suze. If you wish to apply Exel LG along with your Actinovate for your tomato plants using Suze's formula for the hose end sprayer you can add 1/2 cup Exel LG (Agri-Fos) to the one gallon watering can along with the 2 2/3 Tablespoons of Actinovate.

The Application rates for Exel LG is 2 tsp. to 2 oz. per gallon. The 1/2 cup of Exel LG will give you the 2 tsp. rate. Both products are Bio-Friendly!

The Exel LG will not affect the Actinovate and will add a systemic to the mix. Here is a link to a thread I started on the subject compatibility. I used this scenario last year with good results. The only difference is I used a 1 gal. pump tank sprayer at the standard application rates. If Suze's tomato forest gets any bigger she will have to hire a crop duster airplane to spray her plants. ;) Ami

[url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=14422&highlight=Actinovate[/url]

stormymater February 21, 2011 09:10 AM

Thanks Suze - I was just beginning to consider how to treat my new plot - 150' x 150'. I know Actinovate - thanks much for the reminder about the molasses.

Suze February 21, 2011 04:53 PM

Ami, thanks for adding the rate for Exel LG. Thread title changed.

snappybob February 22, 2011 02:11 PM

I've called most of the major (real) garden centers around town looking for Actinovate and they all have said they either don't stock it anymore due to shelf life or they have it but it's expired. One garden center was suprized to find that their stock expired in 2009. One other said they would not order anymore because the product arrived already expired. (DOA). I sent an email to the website of the company that makes this stuff to try and get some answers. I would not be too inclined to pay ~$15 for a little package of biological fungicide that had an expiration date that expired 2 years ago. One lady told me that you really don't need to go by the expiration date. So why does the company that makes it put an expiraton date on their product? I'll let you all know what I find out.

amideutch February 22, 2011 04:01 PM

Boomer Cardinale
Director of Marketing
[email]boomer@naturalindustries.com[/email]

Boomer is a member of Tomatoville. Send him an e-mail and ask the question. Ami

snappybob February 22, 2011 05:13 PM

I contacted a company rep via the Natural Industries website and he responded with in an hour or so. He said he would be in town in a few weeks and would check into the problem. If he follows through that says a lot for the company. I'll check back with the local stores and see if they got restocked with fresh product.

boomtown February 23, 2011 10:05 AM

We're here to help

Howdy everyone-

Here at Natural Industries, we like to keep track of our Actinovate lots and how old they are on the shelf. For our Actinovate fungicide, the microbes can lay dormant, yet still effective, in the bag for up to 18 months. We keep our expiration dates on our bags set to 12 months so we can keep rotating in fresh stock to you.

If expired product is in warehouses or on store shelves, then that is due to a lack of communication from our partners to keep Actinovate flowing to our customers. The company policy of Natural Industries has always been to swap out any unopened expired product of Actinovate with new bugs for FREE. Please be sure to pass this information along to your unmotivated Actinovate dealers. I also have a call in to our Lawn & Garden Manager who will personally be paying a visit to all of our San Antonio dealers.

In the meantime, I invite you to visit our newly revamped retail page at actinovate.com where you can enter your ZIP to search from over 500 dealers in the States. I also encourage you to explore our online dealers at High Country Gardens and Naturehills.com or price shop Actinovate on Amazon or Google.

If all else fails, send me an email or even a message through this forum. We are here to help you grow better tomatoes.

Sincerely,

Boomer Cardinale
Natural Industries

amideutch February 23, 2011 11:48 AM

Thank you Boomer for jumping in and answering the concerns of our members.

Ami

snappybob February 23, 2011 05:15 PM

Thanks Boomer, I look forward to trying your product.

rnewste February 23, 2011 05:44 PM

If you are also considering a lawn treatment with the active ingredient in Actinovate, you may want to research their product called Actino-Iron. It, in addition to the ingredient in Actinovate adds other ingredients oriented to lawn application.

As it is not water soluble, I think a drop spreader (mix it in with your normal fertilizer) would be a good way to apply it. I don't want to sound like a "salesman" for them, but with the benefits I have experienced with Actinovate, I would be inclined to believe their literature on the potential benefits of Actino-Iron. Application rate is 5 pounds per 1000 sq. ft.

[URL]http://naturalindustries.com/commercial/actino-iron.html[/URL]

It's worth a "read" in any event, just to get yourself educated.:yes:

Raybo;)

p.s. Here is a link to it on Amazon, just for reference:

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Industries-Actino-Iron-Fungicide-lbs/dp/B0025Y53II/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298501422&sr=8-2[/url]

desertlzbn March 6, 2011 11:03 PM

Can you use the Actinovate with Funi-perfect, or Bota Max?
Do they void each other out?

John3 April 12, 2011 10:22 PM

[quote=boomtown;201322]Howdy everyone-

Here at Natural Industries, we like to keep track of our Actinovate lots and how old they are on the shelf. For our Actinovate fungicide, the microbes can lay dormant, yet still effective, in the bag for up to 18 months. We keep our expiration dates on our bags set to 12 months so we can keep rotating in fresh stock to you.

If expired product is in warehouses or on store shelves, then that is due to a lack of communication from our partners to keep Actinovate flowing to our customers. The company policy of Natural Industries has always been to swap out any unopened expired product of Actinovate with new bugs for FREE. Please be sure to pass this information along to your unmotivated Actinovate dealers. I also have a call in to our Lawn & Garden Manager who will personally be paying a visit to all of our San Antonio dealers.

In the meantime, I invite you to visit our newly revamped retail page at actinovate.com where you can enter your ZIP to search from over 500 dealers in the States. I also encourage you to explore our online dealers at High Country Gardens and Naturehills.com or price shop Actinovate on Amazon or Google.

If all else fails, send me an email or even a message through this forum. We are here to help you grow better tomatoes.

Sincerely,

Boomer Cardinale
Natural Industries[/quote]

Hi Boomer I just got my order in from High Country Gardens and there is no expiration date on it - thought you might want to know.

boomtown April 13, 2011 09:43 AM

Expired Product/No Exp Label

Send back any unopened, expired product to our headquarters (address on back of package) with a mailing address and we'll get fresh product out to you. Thanks, Boomer