Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Mark's 2018 crop (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47167)

AKmark March 31, 2018 06:40 PM

Mark's 2018 crop

3 Attachment(s)
Things are going well this year, we have some fruit setting already, and everything is healthy.

The media is Pro Mix HP.

We have 5 rows of plants, 2 plants per 5 gallon container, each plant is single stem, and is strung up with roller spools.

We are at our 3rd truss of flowers, and are running 1350 ppm, at a 6.3 pH.

About half of the 250 plants are Mat-Su Express, there are several other of our stable and unstable crosses in there too, and 5-6 varieties of heirlooms.

I plan on crossing MSE to Rebel Yell, and want to make an Elgin Pink cross too, maybe a couple of others. I will have more to report on soon.

Have a great season,
Mark

lexxluthor March 31, 2018 07:07 PM

Very nice setup,

KarenO March 31, 2018 08:37 PM

My goodness...
As always your plants look wonderfully vigorous and healthy Mark.
Any KARMAs or Zena's Gift in the crowd?
KarenO

nancyruhl March 31, 2018 08:38 PM

Wow. I was just thinking today about how we needed some updates from you this year. That is the most amazingly neat greenhouse I have ever seen. Glad your season is off to a great start.

Cole_Robbie March 31, 2018 08:47 PM

Mark, you always manage to be farther north than almost all of us, and still farther ahead at the same time. Well done, as usual.

MissS March 31, 2018 09:25 PM

Off to another great season. Everything looks perfect.

My hat's off to you sir!

Barb_FL March 31, 2018 09:44 PM

A thing of beauty and neatness. You are inspirational.

I would love to see pictures of the 2 plants per 5 gallon container when they get big.

AKmark March 31, 2018 10:27 PM

[QUOTE=KarenO;692662]My goodness...
As always your plants look wonderfully vigorous and healthy Mark.
Any KARMAs or Zena's Gift in the crowd?
KarenO[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the compliments, we do put a lot into this.

Karen, I do have Karma Pink going, have not started Zena's Gift yet.

AlittleSalt March 31, 2018 10:39 PM

Mark, it all looks wonderful.

I also wanted to grow Zena's Gift this time, but being my first attempt to grow in Pro Mix and use the method you pointed out to me - I stuck with some I've grown in ground before.

Andrey_BY April 1, 2018 02:51 AM

What a great subtropical oasis in the North!
Looking very healthy and organized!
I'm feeling jelous that we have sold Alaska so cheap with so comfortable climate for tomatoes :)

imp April 1, 2018 06:26 AM

Really lovely, Mark, and so tidy!

Salsacharley April 1, 2018 08:13 AM

Marvelous! How many people does it take to keep your operation running so well?

ddsack April 1, 2018 10:00 AM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;692665]Mark, you always manage to be farther north than almost all of us, and still farther ahead at the same time. Well done, as usual.[/QUOTE]

That says it for me as well! You've built a well managed smoothly functioning operation in a difficult climate along with creating your own delicious tomatoes to fit your needs. Not to mention generously sharing your advice and seeds with the rest of us. :yes:

Ricky Shaw April 1, 2018 11:47 AM

My favorite grow thread every year. Stole nearly everything I know about container tomatoes from them. Thank you and hoping you have your best season yet.

Koala Doug April 1, 2018 12:48 PM

[B][SIZE=3][FONT=Garamond]Wonderful photos! I can't wait to see what that greenhouse looks like in a couple of weeks. :)[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]