Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   What peppers your growing for 2018 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46553)

roper2008 January 28, 2018 08:42 AM

What peppers your growing for 2018

If anyone would like to share their list. I like to see what peppers others are growing.
This is mine so far. In no particular order.

Brazilian Starfish
Shi★★★★o
Mini Piperka
Zapotec Jalapeno
Chilhuacle Negro
Peruvian Red Rocoto (already germinated)
Friariello Di Napoli
Jimmy Nardello
Elephant trunk
Ajvarski
Golden Cayenne
Serrano Tampiqueno
Jalafuego Hybrid
Himo Togarashi
Manganji
Yatsufusa
Takanotsume
P. Dreadie Scotch Bonnet(germinated)
Aji Amarillo Grande(germinated)
Aji Dulce (germinated)
Aji Arnaucho(germinated)
Aji Largo(germinated)
Aji Limo Rojo(germinated)
Thai pepper
Also going to try and germinate some older seed from The Chili Pepper Institute.

jmsieglaff January 28, 2018 08:51 AM

I grow 12 pepper plants each year, 2 per 5 gallon bucket. Since moving to buckets a few years ago my peppers have been great--big healthy plants with loads of peppers. I'm the only one in the house that likes hot peppers so I grow mainly sweets, with a couple hots I use for cooking, salsa, and sandwiches.

Aji Amarillo (small ones)
Serrano
Poblano Gigantea (2)
Yummy Orange (3) mini orange snacking pepper
Yummy Yellow (2) mini yellow snacking pepper
Yummy Red (2) mini red snacking pepper
Orange Sweet Twister Pepper (seed saved from a Sunset produce pepper), long, crisp, sweet pepper.

roper2008 January 28, 2018 10:28 AM

The Yummy pepper must be good. Never tried them. I'll have to look into those.

Salsacharley January 28, 2018 12:53 PM

I'm overwintering these, hoping for nice big production this year.
Jalapeno - Craig's Grande
Numex Orange Spice
Numex Trick or Treat
Rocotillo
Santa Fe Grande
Jay's Peach Ghost
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Amarillo Grande
Bahamian Goat
Black Pearl
Caribbean Seasoning (3rd year)
Carolina Reaper
Chapeau de Frade
Chocolate Naga Brain

I've got 30 more I want to try this year:
7 Pot Bubble Gum White
7 Pot Long
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Primo Yellow
Aleppo
Bleeding Borg 9
Bulgarian Carrot
Corbaci
Cubanelle
Datil St Augustine
Habanero Costa Rica
Habanero de Arbol
Habanero White #2
Habanero White Mini
Jimmy Nardello
Lemon Drop
Big Black Mama
Big Mustard Mama
Big Caramel Mama
Manzano Yellow
Numex Centennial
Numex Easter
Peter Pepper Orange
Pimenta Leopard
Purple UFO
San Pedro Sweet
Sugar Chili
Sweet Banana
Tabasco
Zolotistyi Sweet
Donkey Ears

I don't know if I'll get all those going but they are my wish list. I'm cutting back on tomato varieties this year to make room for these.

jmsieglaff January 28, 2018 03:20 PM

[QUOTE=roper2008;680182]The Yummy pepper must be good. Never tried them. I'll have to look into those.[/QUOTE]

They are the small sweet mixed bags of snacking peppers you see in the store, only better because they are fresh from your garden. My source was Jung Seed about 3 or 4 years ago, listed as Yummy Mixed Peppers. They are listed as Hybrid on their website, but the colors grow true (as well as shape and size), so they are OP.

clkeiper January 28, 2018 03:35 PM

[QUOTE=jmsieglaff;680221]They are the small sweet mixed bags of snacking peppers you see in the store, only better because they are fresh from your garden. My source was Jung Seed about 3 or 4 years ago, listed as Yummy Mixed Peppers. They are listed as Hybrid on their website, but the colors grow true (as well as shape and size), so they are OP.[/QUOTE]

yes! they are OP peppers. I think they are getting money out of them by advertising them as hybrids since there are so few seeds in each one. the orange ones are the tastiest by the way.

jmsieglaff January 28, 2018 03:44 PM

[QUOTE=clkeiper;680224]yes! they are OP peppers. I think they are getting money out of them by advertising them as hybrids since there are so few seeds in each one. the orange ones are the tastiest by the way.[/QUOTE]

I agree, orange are the best. Yellows are a close 2nd. Red are my least favorite, but still good flavor, but walls are thinner than the orange and yellow.

jmsieglaff January 28, 2018 03:45 PM

Do any of you huge pepper list growers make your own hot sauce? Any tricks or tips should I ever want to try it?

rhines81 January 28, 2018 05:23 PM

[QUOTE=jmsieglaff;680227]Do any of you huge pepper list growers make your own hot sauce? Any tricks or tips should I ever want to try it?[/QUOTE]

I don't make it (yet), but I am a heavy user. Go for flavor first, not heat. Once you have the flavor you like it's easy enough to ramp up the heat from there.

I have single bottles of different ultra-super hot sauce and truthfully it goes bad before the bottle is half empty, only using a drop or two to add heat to different things. I think making a large batch of something like that would just be a waste unless you had a lot of friends/family that really like it super hot. Hot sauces with habanero heat or less will typically be the most consumed.

My favorite one (at the moment) is called Evil Ooze. I mix it in pasta sauce, put it on pizza and use it as a catsup substitute on burgers and dogs. Very tasty.

pmcgrady January 28, 2018 05:27 PM

[QUOTE=clkeiper;680224]yes! they are OP peppers. I think they are getting money out of them by advertising them as hybrids since there are so few seeds in each one. the orange ones are the tastiest by the way.[/QUOTE]

Ditto

MdTNGrdner January 28, 2018 05:33 PM

[QUOTE=jmsieglaff;680169] Since moving to buckets a few years ago my peppers have been great--big healthy plants with loads of peppers. [/QUOTE]

2017 was my first year trying peppers in containers, and they did very well - although to be fair, so did the ones in ground. It was my best pepper year, and yes jmsieglaff, I did make hot sauce. No tips or tricks for you except that it's well worth it to have the homemade stuff - DH and I loved it! I just used an internet recipe and mixed peppers, mostly habs. I'm excited to try again this season.

Like SalsaCharlie I'm cutting the number of tomato plants, but not number of varieties. We have two new beds but added potatoes, sweet potatoes, more peppers, and a ton of beans... I'm really excited about those, too.

Here's my pepper list - provided they germinate! I still had trouble with that last year.

Aji Amarillo
Aji Brazilian Starfish
Aji Escabeche
Ajvarski
Alma
Anaheim
Ancho 101
Arroz con Pollo
Banana, hot
Banana, sweet
Caloro
Chilhuacle Rojo
Congo Trinidad
Corno di Toro, red
Cosa Arrugada
Cowhorn
Cubanelle
Datil Sweet
De Bresse
Doe Hill
Dolce de Espagna
Espelette
Fehrer Onzon
Frank's
Fresno
Friariello
Fushimi
Garden Salsa
Golden Treasure
Guernica
Habanada
Habanero
Habanero, chocolate
Habanero, pink
Himo Togarashi
Hot Portugal
Inca Red Drop
Jalapeno, Craig's Grande
Jalapeno, Early
Kaboutermutzen
Leutschauer
Manganji
New-Mex Big Jim
New-Mex Heritage 6-4
New-Mex Jalmundo
New-Mex Joe E Parker
New-Mex Twilight
Ophelia
Oranzhovoye Chudo
Ozark Giant
Pasilla Bajio
Peppadew
Peppadew, S.A.S.
Pepperoncini
Poblano
Round of Hungary
Serrano Huasteca
Serrano Tampiqueno
Shi★★★★o
Sweet Pickle
Takamatsume
Tolli's Sweet
West Allis 1/2 Sharp
Wisconsin Lakes
Yatsufusa
Zavory
Zolotoy Dozhd

pmcgrady January 28, 2018 05:37 PM

Oops wrong thread!

Fred Hempel January 28, 2018 05:37 PM

Just because fruit color, shape and size "grow true" does not mean that the peppers are OP.

Both parents of a hybrid can have very similar peppers but be different in any number of other traits that may be subtle (eg. disease resistance).

Since I can find over 5 reputable seed sellers that sell them as F1 hybrids, I think it is very likely they are.

Of course it could be a conspiracy between all of these seed companies, but personally, I doubt it.

I know there have been charlatans who have sold OPs as hybrids in the past, but I think many folks now are too quick to assume malfeasance when there is none.

[QUOTE=jmsieglaff;680221]They are the small sweet mixed bags of snacking peppers you see in the store, only better because they are fresh from your garden. My source was Jung Seed about 3 or 4 years ago, listed as Yummy Mixed Peppers. They are listed as Hybrid on their website, but the colors grow true (as well as shape and size), so they are OP.[/QUOTE]

AlittleSalt January 28, 2018 06:08 PM

This year's pepper list is a simple one for me. Whatever they're selling at the local plant store. I did not plant any from seed because I didn't have enough room.

pmcgrady January 28, 2018 06:20 PM

I'm on F4, F5 this year.Same pepper.