Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Alliums (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   What do you guys do with your scapes?? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=36476)

ChristinaJo May 19, 2015 08:53 PM

Grill them or broil them!

gssgarden May 19, 2015 09:46 PM

Oooooooo! Didn't think of that one!! :)

Greg

jhp June 1, 2015 08:51 AM

As mentioned by others, I've made pesto. I used the pesto to coat chicken and then grilled it. Not bad. Also made a soup, but that wasn't my favorite. I don't eat pasta anymore (I'm gluten free and low carb) but I make noodles out of zucchini and I think I'll try some garlic scape pesto on that. Stir fry sounds good too. Maybe this will have to wait for next year. I'll be in the middle of a kitchen reno when the scapes come in.

Jen

Jeannine Anne March 27, 2016 12:15 AM

I chop then small, saute in butter briefly add cream, seasonings etc and they make a wonderful sauce which you can use in many things. I like it over poached halibut,

TomNJ March 27, 2016 09:27 AM

I place mine whole in a plastic bag, drizzle with EV olive oil and sprinkle with curry & salt, then grill until half browned (turning once). Serve them as a side vegetable.

TomNJVA

pmcgrady March 27, 2016 09:35 AM

I pickled/ canned some last year, great in a Bloody Mary. Scapes were selling last year for more per pound than the garlic cloves, so I may need to unload some at a farmers market this year.

gardengeekgirl March 27, 2016 09:39 AM

Pickling scapes

[QUOTE=pmcgrady;546001]I pickled/ canned some last year, great in a Bloody Mary. Scapes were selling last year for more per pound than the garlic cloves, so I may need to unload some at a farmers market this year.[/QUOTE]

Oh - this sounds good. I like my bloody mary to be a meal in itself with all the extras. What was the texture like after pickling?

pmcgrady March 27, 2016 09:46 AM

[QUOTE=gardengeekgirl;546004]Oh - this sounds good. I like my bloody mary to be a meal in itself with all the extras. What was the texture like after pickling?[/QUOTE]

Crunchy, not mushy like canned asparagus. I use Alum in the pickling recipe, which I think helps keeping them crunchy, same recipe when I can peppers.

henry March 27, 2016 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=TomNJ;546000]I place mine whole in a plastic bag, drizzle with EV olive oil and sprinkle with curry & salt, then grill until half browned (turning once). Serve them as a side vegetable.

TomNJVA[/QUOTE]

Curry sound good will have to give that a try.

maricybele June 22, 2016 02:46 AM

I cut them up and put them in a ceramic fry pan and cook them in butter. Nothing else. I serve it like a side vegetable. Many people who haven't tried it love them.

Old chef June 22, 2016 08:03 PM

I'll second Pesto Lasts a long time.
Great for marinating poultry in a brine
Roast them in a hot oven with some chili peppers and use as a pizza topping

Old Chef

Worth1 June 22, 2016 09:32 PM

[QUOTE=Old chef;571550]I'll second Pesto Lasts a long time.
Great for marinating poultry in a brine
Roast them in a hot oven with some chili peppers and use as a pizza topping

Old Chef[/QUOTE]

I like pesto but I dont like pine nuts, they taste like something I dont like but I cant recall what it is.
But any other nut will do fine like a pecan.
Pesto will last almost forever, I need to make some I haven't had it in a long long time.
It would go good with my homemade Italian sausage and some pasta.
Worth

Old chef June 22, 2016 09:56 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;571571]I like pesto but I dont like pine nuts, they taste like something I dont like but I cant recall what it is.
But any other nut will do fine like a pecan.
Pesto will last almost forever, I need to make some I haven't had it in a long long time.
It would go good with my homemade Italian sausage and some pasta.
Worth[/QUOTE]

I have to tell you with the price of pinenuts. I have been using a walnuts. And if you want to get fancy. Pistachios. Sicilians use more pistachio than pinenuts.

Old chef

Father'sDaughter June 24, 2016 10:46 PM

Toasted walnuts are all I use for my scape pesto. Never tried pistachios, but then I'm not Sicilian ;-)

Old chef June 24, 2016 10:57 PM

[QUOTE=Father'sDaughter;572078]Toasted walnuts are all I use for my scape pesto. Never tried pistachios, but then I'm not Sicilian ;-)[/QUOTE]

You don't have to be Sicilian to like pistachio

Old chef