Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Habanada Pepper (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44190)

anabri March 7, 2017 06:01 PM

Habanada Pepper

Has anyone ever grown Habanadas? I'm a spice wimp, so they sound intriguing.

[url]http://www.rareseeds.com/habanada-sweet-pepper/[/url]

AlittleSalt March 7, 2017 06:13 PM

I haven't grown that one, but I did grow NuMex Suave Orange Chile. They were not hot, but I didn't care for how they taste.

Worth1 March 7, 2017 06:23 PM

It said even the seeds aren't hot, no seeds are hot.
The only reason they may seem hot is contamination from the membrane they grow off of.

Not worth growing in my book because they aren't hot. :lol:

Worth

Minnesota Mato March 7, 2017 09:23 PM

I am growing some right now and plan on crossing it with a bell pepper to get disease resistance.

Ken B March 7, 2017 10:46 PM

We'll be trying it this year!

Cole_Robbie March 7, 2017 11:11 PM

Interesting. I have Trinidad Perfume for the first time this year, which is very similar, but from what I read might contain a tiny bit of heat.

tarpalsfan March 8, 2017 08:34 PM

[QUOTE=anabri;623916]Has anyone ever grown Habanadas? I'm a spice wimp, so they sound intriguing.

[URL]http://www.rareseeds.com/habanada-sweet-pepper/[/URL][/QUOTE]
[SIZE=3]I saw the Habanadas in several seed catalogs! Interesting! I think it might be new?
:) [/SIZE]

ContainerTed March 9, 2017 08:36 AM

It's clearly not the first "no heat" habanero. I grew [COLOR=red][B]Zavory Habanero[/B][/COLOR] all the way back in 2009. As a self professed pepper wimp, I can tell you that it has NO heat at all, but does have the fruity taste. I'm waking up seeds as we speak.

tarpalsfan March 9, 2017 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=ContainerTed;624264]It's clearly not the first "no heat" habanero. I grew [COLOR=red][B]Zavory Habanero[/B][/COLOR] all the way back in 2009. As a self professed pepper wimp, I can tell you that it has NO heat at all, but does have the fruity taste. I'm waking up seeds as we speak.[/QUOTE]
[SIZE=4]Me too, (going to grow Zavory's again). :)[/SIZE]

shule1 March 9, 2017 05:46 PM

I love hot peppers. However, I also enjoy cooking food that other people will be willing to eat. Unfortunately, it's hard to find people in my house who appreciate hot peppers very often. So, I've recently taken an interest in seasoning peppers. (Also for the flavor.)

I haven't grown Habanada. I haven't really grown any mild seasoning peppers, yet. Orange Carbonero, which I grew last year, is known for being used in cooking to improve flavor, but it certainly has some heat (not really a lot, though). It tends to make stuff taste better, I've found. By itself, it tastes kind of like peaches (but I recommend it in cooking). Aji Omnicolor has pretty good fruity flavor, I though (but it has heat).

I bought a bunch of peppers for seasoning purposes for this year. I think they all have at least a few scoville units, though (a couple of them have a lot):
* Sweet Datil
* Trinidad Perfume
* Tobago Seasoning
* Grenada Seasoning
* Aji Dulce 1
* Rocoto Aji Largo (hot)
* Fatalii (hot)

A lot of the peppers like this are supposed to be low heat habaneros. I wonder if all of them taste pretty much the same.

One thing that interests me a lot is no-heat Jalapenos with lots of flavor; they could sure be used to season stuff. Jumbo Jalapeno has good flavor and sort of low heat, but it does have heat. Not all Jalapenos have the Jalapeno flavor, though, I've noticed (some have a flavor more like bell peppers).

Anyway, I'm curious what Habanada is like, since it's one of the few that is supposed to have no heat at all (unless they mean, practically so).

Worth1 March 9, 2017 05:47 PM

Eating a(( no heat)) habanero is like owning a Corvette with a lawnmower engine in it.:))

Worth

TC_Manhattan March 9, 2017 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;624381]Eating a(( no heat)) habanero is like owning a Corvette with a lawnmower engine in it.:))

Worth[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well not all of us are wired for jet fuel, Worth..:P

Cole_Robbie March 10, 2017 01:25 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;624381]Eating a(( no heat)) habanero is like owning a Corvette with a lawnmower engine in it.:))
Worth[/QUOTE]

I want to test the heatless varieties against a long, hot, dry summer. If they are still 100% heatless at that point, I will be impressed.

roper2008 March 10, 2017 07:10 PM

I almost bought these seeds at a private garden center near me. I grabbed a packet
of Tolli's Sweet Italian instead.

anabri March 10, 2017 09:40 PM

I bit the bullet and bought a pack of seeds. If nothing else, it will be a practical joke to play on DH, who actually likes having his taste buds scorched off. I'd be happy to share if anyone else wants to try them. Worth?:D