Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Herbs (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Neglected Horseradish (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47408)

greenthumbomaha May 1, 2018 09:39 PM

Neglected Horseradish

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't want to step on my strawberry patch to pick so I just admired this from far.

I planted this root well over 5 years ago and never harvested it. It looked extremely woody before it leafed out. It takes up the entire bed by the end of the season.

Will it be edible, and will I be able to dig this out without a subsequent call to 911.

- Lisa

The raspberries make access difficult too.

SQWIBB May 2, 2018 07:07 AM

It should be fine, I harvest in the fall.

Worth1 May 2, 2018 08:16 AM

Can I grow it in central Texas?

gothicgardens May 2, 2018 09:30 AM

Dig horseradish in any month that ends in R. Cut the tops off and replant for the next crop. It will grow anywhere but the sidewalk.

greenthumbomaha May 3, 2018 03:36 PM

Worth, I don't know if it will grow in Texas, but if it does you need a BIG space for a little piece of it. It grows much larger than rhubarb and hangs on to its giant leaves.

- Lisa

Nan_PA_6b May 3, 2018 10:42 PM

I can't believe there's anywhere horseradish won't grow. The root can be huge. I dug up a bunch of very old roots one year, and had to cut away some woody parts, but there was still a lot of usable stuff. And though I dug up everything I could, next year there was still horseradish.

Nan

MissS May 4, 2018 12:02 AM

Yes Worth it will grow there and it's right up your alley. Once planted, you will always have it....

CamuMahubah May 4, 2018 12:14 AM

When I bought my house that was built in the early 1900's it came with horseradish and rhubarb. I have no idea when they were planted. This is area is heavy Czech heritage and I'm told that any old farm house you stumble upon would have horseradish growing.

I've never harvested horseradish but a neighbor begged me for the tops!

The rhubarb is very delicious.

When my cat eats the horseradish leaves she makes sure to puke them back up on fresh dried laundry...smells like a Chinese restaurant when I hit them with the lawnmower too..

Nan_PA_6b May 4, 2018 05:30 PM

Horseradish plants are pretty. Very dramatic leaves, and impressive spring flower spikes.

Nan

GrowingCoastal May 4, 2018 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=MissS;698364]Yes Worth it will grow there and it's right up your alley. Once planted, you will always have it....[/QUOTE]

That is very true, whether you want it or not!

Gardeneer May 8, 2018 02:58 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;698056]Can I grow it in central Texas?[/QUOTE]

I have grown it in Atlanta, GA. But not in full sun.
Horseradish is very invasive. You cannot get rid of it. Because a bit of root left deep in the ground will grow back. Where to plant it ? In the neighbor,s yard.\:)):))

oakley May 8, 2018 11:01 AM

Be careful where you plant it, :evil:

Invasive. But I'll have a lifetime supply and the roots freeze well. Mine has been
coming up for years twisting throughout my blueberry bushes. For some reason they
seem to like each other...

carolyn137 May 8, 2018 02:19 PM

On the farm where I grew up the uppermost greenhouse on the west side got sun from about midday onward. And there was a whole row of it maybe 30-40 ft long.

My mother would tell me to go up and pull some roots and always from the middle of the plant, wash them off by the faucet at the end of that greenhouse and bring them down to the house.

She would have clamped that grinder to the kitchen table,I knew what came next. As I turned the crank just a few tears would start and then I'd be in full mode crying.

I don't even remember what she used it for, I wouldn't eat it,and she said that the leaves tasted good,whatever that means as well.

Her mother was Swedish, my grandmother,she was Hedwig in Sweden near Uppsala, but was called Hattie after immigrating to the US with the rest of the Carlsons in her family , I just called her grandma.

Mom once wrote out some recipes on index cards,I still have them and maybe there's even a card for horseradish something or other.;):lol:

Carolyn

b54red May 20, 2018 11:39 AM

I tried to grow it once and it got destroyed by bugs. I was really surprised that anything would eat it but there seems to be a pest for everything down here. I love good and really hot horseradish and so does my wife. When we make our own cocktail sauce for boiled shrimp and such it is so full of horseradish it is only slightly pink. It kinda slaps you in the back of the head when you eat it but it does a wonderful job of clearing your sinuses.:cry:

How deep do you plant it? Does it like full sun or partial shade?

Bill

Nan_PA_6b May 20, 2018 12:42 PM

Mine was planted in about 5 hours of sun, pure clay.

Nan