Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Preserving Your Harvest (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Is there a good use for tomato liquid? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46170)

Labradors2 November 3, 2017 10:40 AM

Is there a good use for tomato liquid?

The time has come, to make tomato sauce, so yesterday I hauled out all my bags of frozen tomatoes and dunked them in hot water to remove the skins. I put them in colanders with bowls underneath to catch all the liquid in preparation for cooking them and canning the sauce on Saturday. (They are sitting in coolers, which is probably why it takes so long for them to thaw, but at least it keeps the fruit flies out!)

Does anyone have a good use for that lovely tomato liquid? I really hate to waste it and I think I could make soup with it, but don't want to overpower any recipe.

Thanks for any ideas/recipes :)

Linda

ContainerTed November 3, 2017 12:25 PM

When I make tomato juice, I always cook it down by about 30%. I'd set a pot on the side and keep the heat just high enough to make the contents "roll", but not "bubble" boil. This prevents burning and after a while, you've got some of the tastiest tomato juice you can make.

Labradors2 November 3, 2017 12:39 PM

Thanks a lot Ted. I just had a glass of the neat liquid and it was extremely tasty. I've read that one can make Bloody Mary's with it, but I don't drink them :(

Linda

encore November 3, 2017 12:41 PM

bloody mary mix! a woman says the best bloody mary she ever had was from the liquid, not the boiled down juice.

encore November 3, 2017 12:42 PM

lol you beat me to it while i was typing! lol

oakley November 3, 2017 01:19 PM

Yum. Give me all your juice and the skins. Good food value in the
skins and juice. Toss in blender and drink up. (Virgin Mary)
Or add to soups. Can be frozen to add at any time.

Skins can be dehydrated for powder.

MissS November 3, 2017 01:39 PM

Yes, make a nice healthy 'Virgin Mary', add to smoothies or reduce it and add to your sauce for a wonderful flavor. I never throw that out.

Worth1 November 3, 2017 03:06 PM

I bet it would be good in clam chowder.
Worth

KarenO November 3, 2017 03:25 PM

Reduce it a bit to concentrate the flavour, season with salt and pepper and use it anywhere you would use vegetable stick- soups, stews, gravy... etc. If there’s lots you can freeze or can it.
KarenO

Labradors2 November 3, 2017 03:31 PM

Thanks folks. Now I will feel even worse about tossing it down the sink :shock:, and will have to freeze it for later use. There's lots of it, and all my cup-like containers are already in the freezer, full of asparagus water - saved for making soup..... Obviously, I don't make much soup in the summer! Guess I'll just have to break down and get some more containers!

Linda

ddsack November 3, 2017 04:11 PM

Linda, when I freeze my tomato sauce, I use quart zip-lock bags that I stand up in some square plastic containers of a size I like. Leave enough head space in the bag so you can fold it over flat to zip with no air pocket. After the bags freeze into a semi-cube shape, I take them out to stack and re-use the containers for another batch.

clkeiper November 3, 2017 08:59 PM

why not can it and put it in the cabinet? It doesn't need to be pressure canned, just a waterbath. for 35-40 minutes

coronabarb November 3, 2017 10:39 PM

I like to freeze liquids like that in a 9" square cake pan, then slide the frozen block into a ziploc bag. You can stack them flat or stand them up.

Karrr_Luda March 2, 2018 11:19 AM

I use it for making Borstch - tomato based soup instead of adding tomato juice if i have some. I just use my own scrap veggie broth with tomato liquid added (from frozen and cooked tomatoes), add potatoes, carrots, beets cut in matchsticks, a can of beans and lots of chopped cabbage-added in the end so it would not get too soft. Some sauteed dill with garlic (in any veg oil or olive oil) in the very end, salt and pepper to taste. I do salt my broth so not adding salt at the end. A bit late with the reply..