Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   What's happening to my babies?! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47129)

Jlryan March 28, 2018 02:57 PM

What's happening to my babies?!

4 Attachment(s)
I have a couple different issues here...my mortgage lifters have started to turn a different color, I have not fertilized yet so I'm wondering if that's sure to a nutrient deficiency?
But I've also noticed some of my pepper plants have just begun to wilt...I don't water anything until they absolutely need it, and between grow lights and the window sill they get a ton of light. Any suggestions welcome!!

Nan_PA_6b March 28, 2018 03:05 PM

Your tomatoes are plenty big enough to need fertilizer. Use about 1/4 to 1/2 strength of what the instructions say.

Nan

Patihum March 28, 2018 03:16 PM

I'd say more than likely your pepper plants are thirsty. If those are expanding peat pellets they're notorious for drying out fast. It puts the plants under a lot of stress to let them dry out completely before watering them again.

TexasTomat0 March 28, 2018 03:26 PM

Mix in a small amount of Epsom salt when you water (fertilize) them next, plants under LED need a little more Mg.

Jlryan March 28, 2018 07:55 PM

[QUOTE=TexasTomat0;691951]Mix in a small amount of Epsom salt when you water (fertilize) them next, plants under LED need a little more Mg.[/QUOTE]

I was planning on fertilizing with fish emulsion, but if they're lacking Mg, would that not be a good option?

TexasTomat0 March 28, 2018 09:15 PM

[QUOTE=Jlryan;692011]I was planning on fertilizing with fish emulsion, but if they're lacking Mg, would that not be a good option?[/QUOTE]

The fish would still be fine but I would add a tablespoon of epsom salt/gallon of water and water with that. They should green right up. Can be used together with the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mobiledynamics March 28, 2018 09:20 PM

TT. Care to shed some insight on the MG advice. I posted some concerns here as well with my LED setup

[url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47106&highlight=purple[/url]

Jlryan March 28, 2018 09:31 PM

[QUOTE=mobiledynamics;692029]TT. Care to shed some insight on the MG advice. I posted some concerns here as well with my LED setup

[url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47106&highlight=purple[/url][/QUOTE]

Last year, I noticed the purple a lot when I started cold treatment outside. I think the tomatoes could definitely benefit from being repotted, just hope they can make it long enough until I have the time! They've had a lot of LED time since we're going on a week of cloudy skies here.

Jlryan March 28, 2018 09:33 PM

[QUOTE=TexasTomat0;692027]The fish would still be fine but I would add a tablespoon of epsom salt/gallon of water and water with that. They should green right up. Can be used together with the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I just tried this so I'm hoping to see a difference in the morning!

Jlryan March 29, 2018 01:35 PM

[QUOTE=Jlryan;692032]I just tried this so I'm hoping to see a difference in the morning![/QUOTE]

Tomatoes have perked right back up, but my peppers still look very sad.

TexasTomat0 March 29, 2018 01:50 PM

Maybe give them a break on the light, they do look stressed and the intense light probably isn't helping. Try raising it until they've got more vigor.

TexasTomat0 March 29, 2018 01:51 PM

How is the color on the tomatoes? They should be a darker green by now.

mobiledynamics March 29, 2018 02:24 PM

Running LEDS as well. Mine are not yellow BUT they are a tinge purple....
I'm waiting for the soil to dry out so I can give it's 1st fert. feeding

Is LED considered intense. That's what I sorta thought.
But other posters are saying give it as much light to the point right before it burns...
I have mine cranked up, dropped fairly low and the tomates ain't complaining - just short of being yellow

TexasTomat0 March 29, 2018 03:02 PM

[QUOTE=mobiledynamics;692179]Running LEDS as well. Mine are not yellow BUT they are a tinge purple....
I'm waiting for the soil to dry out so I can give it's 1st fert. feeding

Is LED considered intense. That's what I sorta thought.
But other posters are saying give it as much light to the point right before it burns...
I have mine cranked up, dropped fairly low and the tomates ain't complaining - just short of being yellow[/QUOTE]

You just have to keep an eye on them, once you get to where they can take the full power you want it at full.

But if you plant is bent over in half curled up you definitely want to back off.

You have to get to know your plants and you will be able to tell through experience. It will probably take frying a couple to figure it out. I still burn the occasional leaf.

Jlryan April 6, 2018 06:32 AM

The lights I have unfortunately don't have any other option than just being "on". Everyone is looking better for sure! How often can I use the fish emulsion/epsom salt mixture?