Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   My winter sucker is growing up...lol... (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43268)

righand December 10, 2016 06:06 PM

My winter sucker is growing up...lol...

3 Attachment(s)
The little clone sucker is growing nice this winter....even when we had a severe winter weather alert today at -27 c without wind chill....cheers.....

Banadoura December 10, 2016 06:45 PM

Hey Rig,

These are earmarked only for container growing? or will they be moved into the ground come June?

Also, do you know how much that light adds to your electricity bill in a year?

Thanks,

schill93 December 10, 2016 06:54 PM

Very neat looking. I hope that's a determinate, or in three months you'll be very sorry. [img]http://www.freesmileyfaces.com/files/emotions/shocked-smiley-faces/2.gif[/img]

KarenO December 10, 2016 07:24 PM

looks great and I like the way you hung that light!
might just copy that sometime :)
KarenO

oakley December 10, 2016 07:35 PM

:!:I think he is prepared with that tall cage!

Love it. I have one that is suffering but a new light arrived today. I don't think much about electric cost. The joy/love far outweighs the pennies.

I have a friend that raises orchids instead of children. Fancy glass greenhouse for his 'babies'. His husband is a surgeon for military rehabilitation. What gives pleasure tending and experimenting after a trying work day is therapy for many.

righand December 10, 2016 09:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just fired up the 2 - 23 watt, 6400K CFL's today. I hope to keep it growing for my mother plant in the spring for some clones. I have 20, 5 gal SIP buckets ready to go on the deck, going with organic Acti-sol granular hen manure fertilizer and a organic water soluble fertilizer. My buckets have a 3 us gal reservoir. Cheers.....

KarenO December 10, 2016 10:09 PM

what variety is that?
KO

righand December 11, 2016 10:07 AM

My sweet little Italian neighbor gave me the seeds, she brought them from Italy years ago and does not know the real name of them....I checked around and they look like a Sicilian Saucer variety....

righand December 11, 2016 10:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Just a couple more pics....cheers....:D

ddsack December 11, 2016 11:29 AM

Nice idea on the reflective material on your outdoor pots! In our cold climates it works to start out with dark or black pots for early season warmth, but they do tend to dry out fast in high summer. What material are you using for the covers?

You really had me fooled in your very first picture! I thought that was a lovely tall ceramic pot and was coveting it! Only after seeing these last pics did I figure out was it was - looks great!:yes:

righand December 11, 2016 11:53 AM

This insulating blankets with the black trim are car windshield reflectors from the Dollar Store (cheap) and they also have the spring clamps to secure the blanket and the bubble wrap reflective insulation is from Home Depot which (I like better) but is quite expensive $40.00 can for 2' x 20'. The insulating blankets work fantastic in the hot sun....did not have any issues with over heating or algae or slime build up in the reservoir bucket from all summer when I emptied them out.....

Greatgardens December 12, 2016 07:10 AM

@righand-

That tomato plant is impressive. Nice job!

I've got a nice south-facing window, but it is in the garage and I'm limited to about 2 ft. of plant height. But I'm going to have a go at it! Probably a few Red Robins.

-GG

BajaMitch December 12, 2016 10:38 PM

On July 1, 2015 I planted four seedling tomato plants. They all survived the winter here in Southern California all the way to the beginning of the season in 2016. The point being that, in SoCal, tomato plants survive the winter quite easily. This year I planted seedlings in the middle of October and will carry these plants until March 1, 2017 where I will cut seedlings and plant those seedlings for the 2017 season. Much cheaper than buying seedlings (zero costs, actually).

Wow, 2 -23 watt bulbs - Are those lights on for 24 hours a day?

righand December 13, 2016 12:09 PM

The 23 watt CFL lights are like having 2 - 60 watt bulbs....I just have them on for 12 hrs a day....but what a difference in growth....love it....cheers....

righand December 19, 2016 05:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The little sucker is growing like a weed....lol...cheers...