Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Italian frying peppers, how to do it right? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=42495)

Nematode August 8, 2016 04:40 PM

Italian frying peppers, how to do it right?

There are many peppers in the group of "italian frying peppers".
Are these all meant to be dried first and then fried, or used fresh?

Thx

Worth1 August 8, 2016 04:46 PM

Fresh.

Worth

Father'sDaughter August 8, 2016 06:55 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;585426]Fresh.

Worth[/QUOTE]

What he said.

Nematode August 8, 2016 07:49 PM

That was good.

Made homemade pasta from scratch.

2 whole clove Garlic
1 whole chile arbol
4-5 jimmy nardello cut in rings.
Olive Oil.

Cook pasta.

All but pasta in the pan, hot till peppers are done.

Drain pasta, put pasta in pan, the oil carries the pepper and garlic flavor onto the pasta.

Simple. Delicious.

Like this.
[URL="https://youtu.be/VULsTkS4khQ"]https://youtu.be/VULsTkS4khQ[/URL]

Compuaide August 8, 2016 11:30 PM

Dad's Sunday lunch

Fried Italian hot and sweet peppers in a cast iron skillet.

1/2 loaf of fresh Italian bread ripped open and filled with those fresh fried peppers.

Large dash of salt.

Large cup of fresh percolated black coffee.

Stains on his white tee shirt to mark his progress.

Hiccups.

Nap on the floor of the living room.

Miss the simple things.

Ralph

Worth1 August 8, 2016 11:30 PM

If that old dude like that I could kill him with some of the stuff I do with peppers.:lol:
Not bragging well maybe a little.:roll:
He looked like a real nice guy.

Make a pasta sauce based on peppers not tomatoes.
I love peppers so much I have found so many ways to utilize them in my cooking and no they aren't all hot peppers.
Take the Jimmy Nardello peppers cut in half lengthwise de-seed pan fry till they start to canalize and layer in with lasagna.

As far as I am concerned you can put some sort of pepper in just about anything and make it better one way or another.

Worth

Worth1 August 8, 2016 11:32 PM

[QUOTE=Compuaide;585512]Fried Italian hot and sweet peppers in a cast iron skillet.

1/2 loaf of fresh Italian bread ripped open and filled with those fresh fried peppers.

Large dash of salt.

Large cup of fresh percolated black coffee.

Stains on his white tee shirt to mark his progress.

Hiccups.

Nap on the floor of the living room.

Miss the simple things.

Ralph[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you like peppers as much as I do.:yes:

worth

Nematode August 8, 2016 11:46 PM

Hmmmm good ideas.
I cook a lot, and am good enough that going out to dinner is often a let down.
Yet really incorporating peppers into my repertoire has been lacking.
Maybe what was lacking was good peppers to work with....
Changing all that.

Got a few corno di toro coming in, any ideas?

Thx

Worth1 August 8, 2016 11:58 PM

Corno de toro the same thing they are a good pepper and mild yet flavorful.
One of the best.

I know what you mean by the let down.

Worth

poeticchampion September 6, 2016 01:26 PM

I grow Marconi, Corno di Toro and Jimmy Nardello frying peppers.

I like to fry the fresh peppers in olive oil with fresh garlic (I grow that, too!) and toast some slices of good bread (think sturdy, like ciabatta).
Spread some fresh goat cheese on the warm bread and lay on a few slabs of the fried peppers/garlic. Heaven.
*Sometimes I'll put tomato on, too.

My Foot Smells September 6, 2016 01:35 PM

a little off topic, but chiles toreados pack more heat than just fresh jalapeno. I guess cooking peppers bring out the flav.

Bart September 9, 2016 11:00 AM

[QUOTE=poeticchampion;591195]I grow Marconi, Corno di Toro and Jimmy Nardello frying peppers.
[/QUOTE]

Same here!

For the Marconi and Corno's I peel, seed, roast them on the grill and then peel off the skin and freeze in ziplock bags for long term storage. (as an aside, I found some this summer that have been in my freezer since 2012 and they tasted as good as the 2016 ones did!!!!)

Anyhow, is there a good way to store the Jimmy Nardellos for later eating? I've never tried to fry them and freeze them, but I'm guessing they would work just as well (??).

poeticchampion September 9, 2016 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=Bart;591594]Same here!

For the Marconi and Corno's I peel, seed, roast them on the grill and then peel off the skin and freeze in ziplock bags for long term storage. (as an aside, I found some this summer that have been in my freezer since 2012 and they tasted as good as the 2016 ones did!!!!)

Anyhow, is there a good way to store the Jimmy Nardellos for later eating? I've never tried to fry them and freeze them, but I'm guessing they would work just as well (??).[/QUOTE]

Good idea about freezing.

I also fry them and then store them in olive oil in the fridge.

cjp1953 October 11, 2016 09:18 AM

My mother was born and raised in Bari,Italy.She would cut the pepper in half put on a cookie tray drizzle with olive oil and granulated garlic and roast in the oven until they collapsed.Nothing smells as good as those.We would then get fresh Italian bread and make sandwiches with them.I still do this today as well as my daughters who love them this way.A forum member sent me some Jimmy Nardello seeds,I can't wait until I can get these out in the garden next year.

Father'sDaughter October 11, 2016 10:46 PM

[QUOTE=cjp1953;595633]My mother was born and raised in Bari,Italy.She would cut the pepper in half put on a cookie tray drizzle with olive oil and granulated garlic and roast in the oven until they collapsed.Nothing smells as good as those.We would then get fresh Italian bread and make sandwiches with them.I still do this today as well as my daughters who love them this way.A forum member sent me some Jimmy Nardello seeds,I can't wait until I can get these out in the garden next year.[/QUOTE]

I now know what to do with some of the Melrose peppers I picked yesterday in anticipation of this morning's frost. Some are large enough to stuff and bake, but this will be a perfect way to use up the smaller ones. Thanks for sharing!