Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   empty flower buds???? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45221)

RomanX June 6, 2017 10:35 AM

empty flower buds????

My last plant (Special Turkish) has finally gotten blossoms. . . kinda. Open, yes. Anything inside the green sepals (?), no.

Is this plant sterile?? Are there even such things?? All of my other plants have gobs of blossoms and growing fruit (2 seedlings even had blossoms already @ 8 weeks / transplant.)
:o

Zeus123 June 6, 2017 12:28 PM

I'm in a similar position with a Mr. Stripey plant. It's probably 4 ft tall now and has very few random flower clusters that are just green. Some have almost opened, but no sign of any yellow petals. I've read that many people have had issues with this variety and I will likely tear it up soon and replace with a plant for a fall crop. No idea why the plant is this way though. My other 15 plants (all the rest are not Mr. Stripey) have tons of lowers and fruit sets.

My Foot Smells June 6, 2017 04:49 PM

[QUOTE=Zeus123;645259]I'm in a similar position with a Mr. Stripey plant. It's probably 4 ft tall now and has very few random flower clusters that are just green. Some have almost opened, but no sign of any yellow petals. I've read that many people have had issues with this variety and I will likely tear it up soon and replace with a plant for a fall crop. No idea why the plant is this way though. My other 15 plants (all the rest are not Mr. Stripey) have tons of lowers and fruit sets.[/QUOTE]

You in Georgia - USSR or USA?

If you are down there in the red clay and haven't seen a yeller petal, something is seriously wrong.

Zeus123 June 6, 2017 05:03 PM

USA

Just the one plant all the rest are covered in flowers and fruiting.

My Foot Smells June 6, 2017 05:24 PM

[QUOTE=Zeus123;645317]USA

Just the one plant all the rest are covered in flowers and fruiting.[/QUOTE]

Odd. I have never grown Mr. Stripey, but figure many have, as it has populous appeal.

[I]I had a german queen one year that grew 10 feet tall and 6 feet wide and only produced two (2) tomatoes. Needless to say, that one was an ez scratch for next year's planting. It was planted right next to several Cherokee's that produced 40+, in the same dirt.[/I]

[I]I occasionally hear ppl brag about the g-queen; I just smh.
[/I]

SteveP June 6, 2017 07:26 PM

I have 1 German Queen and it is about 15" taller than any of my other plants and it has flowered very little compared to the rest. I keep hoping it will begin to load up soon.

Frank D June 6, 2017 08:02 PM

[QUOTE=SteveP;645355]I have 1 German Queen and it is about 15" taller than any of my other plants and it has flowered very little compared to the rest. I keep hoping it will begin to load up soon.[/QUOTE]

I have been in the same boat. My first German Queen is 6 feet tall and only had a few tiny blossoms. Last week, I said "never again", when I showed it to one of my friends.

Now, there are 15 or so big healthy blossoms on top. It better be a good tasting tomato!