Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Soilbuilding 101™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   I think I'm going no-till (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=36006)

Cole_Robbie July 9, 2017 02:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I had my first ever stuffed tomato last night, along with a few stuffed peppers from the garden. I tried a Greek theme. The peppers had mini-bow tie pasta, feta, olives, pickled banana peppers, tomatoes, bread crumbs, and some added cheese. They were cooked on the grill, and quite good.

AKmark July 9, 2017 03:50 PM

looks good Cole. We eat stuffed peppers often, stuff them with spanish rice and good ground beef, layer mozzarella over them, blast them in the oven. YUM!

Cole_Robbie July 9, 2017 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, Mark. I think the stuffer tomatoes have a lot of potential as a product for high-end chefs, similar to green when ripe varieties.

Speaking of, my counter is green at the moment. Green Tiger, Green Vernissage, and Brad's Atomic Grape

Ricky Shaw July 9, 2017 04:50 PM

[QUOTE=AKmark;653323]looks good Cole. We eat stuffed peppers often, stuff them with spanish rice and good ground beef, layer mozzarella over them, blast them in the oven. YUM![/QUOTE]

Is how mother made them. The big ones she'd halve like clam shells, mound the spanish rice high with a dollop of tomato sauce and bake it to a light crunch. That was a tough pan to clean up, I remember that also. Caramelized.

dmforcier July 9, 2017 05:07 PM

I don't like traditional stuffed peppers, either rice or beef. To my palate the bell flavor just doesn't marry well. BUT doing what you're doing, especially with toms instead of bells, I would definitely try! Maybe with a bit of vinegar to simulate a Greek-type salad? Looks like many possibilities there.

Why not shoot a note to Old Chef and see what he has to say about stuffed toms?

And what's with all the unripe fruits on your counter? ;)

Cole_Robbie July 16, 2017 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just tried Blue Ambrosia. This is a real gem for a market color mix. They are not the little balls of sugar that Ambrosia Orange is, but the fruit are much larger. Flavor is very good. It could be called overly juicy like Juane Flamme, but that's what I like, and it still has a crowd-pleasing level of sweetness.

Cole_Robbie July 27, 2017 05:00 PM

Ellen's Pink wins heirloom of the year in one of my family gardens. It is a large, round reddish pink, similar to Brandywine, but a shade redder in appearance.

MissS July 27, 2017 05:12 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;657121]Ellen's Pink wins heirloom of the year in one of my family gardens. It is a large, round reddish pink, similar to Brandywine, but a shade redder in appearance.[/QUOTE]

I can't find anything on Ellen's Pink. What was the source? With a review like that, I think that you'll have to save seeds. :lol:

Cole_Robbie July 27, 2017 05:42 PM

Yes. I just now did. I think I got it in Tormato's swap two years ago. I have grown the plants, but never ended up keeping any for my garden.

Gardadore July 27, 2017 06:19 PM

Could it have been Elgin Pink? I am growing that for the first time this summer and they sound similar.

Cole_Robbie July 27, 2017 06:30 PM

Oh wow. Maybe so.

Gerardo July 29, 2017 09:02 AM

is your "Ellen's" a PL, manageable, and very generous with large pink orbs?

If yes then probably Elgin Pink. I really like it.

Cole_Robbie July 29, 2017 02:17 PM

From what I remember, it is PL, so it's got to be Elgin Pink. I misread the handwriting on the first pack of seeds and have been calling it the wrong name for two years.

MissS July 29, 2017 09:41 PM

Yep most likely Elgin Pink. It is a very good tasting tomato and I can see why you gave it such a nice review.

AlittleSalt July 29, 2017 11:55 PM

Elgin Pink is supposed to be a really good tasting tomato. The RKN liked it so much it started eating at the roots :lol::( but I have read very good reviews on EP.

Now I have to get that song out of my head... Every time I read, "I think I'm going no-till" That 80s song by Tiffany comes to mind ... [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Q3mHyzn78[/URL] ...argh, get...out...of...my...head :))