Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Pink Habanero with white leaves (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47000)

Ann123 March 15, 2018 04:34 PM

Pink Habanero with white leaves

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I am growing 6 Pink Habanero plants. 5 out of 6 have white and wrinkled leaves. The 6th plant looks greener but also has some white in its leaves.
Is it innocent? Variegated leaves? Or is there something wrong with them.
None of my other peppers have this, so I am thinking it is maybe something specific for this pepper variety?

Hensaplenty March 15, 2018 06:04 PM

Fish Pepper has variegated leaves.

Goodloe March 15, 2018 07:17 PM

Odd looking... I've not grown the pink variety, so I can't say with any authority. It almost looks like UV sun damage...?

Jon

Gardeneer March 15, 2018 11:29 PM

Urah , maybe crossed with Fish pepper.

Ann123 March 16, 2018 03:30 AM

Is anybody else growing the pink Habanero uit of the mmmm?
If it is a cross, isn't it weird that most (all?) of the plants came from crossed seeds? If a pink habanero flower got pollinated by, let's say, a fish pepper, I would think only some of the seeds were pollinated by the fish pollen. And other seeds by pink habanero him/herself. Chances are small that only fish pollen got on the stigma before any of those got a chance of self pollinating? I assume in case of a cross not all seeds are crossed? (I have no clue, no experience / knowledge about crossing)

gdaddybill March 16, 2018 09:28 AM

Probably genetic but Roundup (glyphosate) drift has similar symptoms.

Ann123 March 16, 2018 03:59 PM

That poison is not welcome in my house / garden. I am growing in organic potting soil.
I wonder how the plants are able to photosynthese with so little green in their leaves.

pmcgrady March 18, 2018 09:15 AM

I germinated 6 pink Hab plants from the mmmm 5 made it, all look normal.

KarenO March 18, 2018 10:57 AM

Are they or have they been outdoors in real sun? I agree with Jon, it appears to be sunburn but what do they look like now a couple of days later?
KarenO

tarpalsfan March 18, 2018 03:28 PM

[SIZE=4]Hi,
Were these started in a greenhouse? :D
[/SIZE]

Ann123 March 18, 2018 04:05 PM

Not in a greenhouse, nor outdoors. They have been all the time in the attic under a velux window. All the other peppers look normal. Only the pink Habaneros have this. They have this since their first true leaves but I don't remember how their cotyledons looked like. They still look like a few days ago. They grow. I 'll just let them grow. I' ll see how they do.

KarenO March 18, 2018 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=Ann123;690009]Not in a greenhouse, nor outdoors. They have been all the time in the attic under a velux window. All the other peppers look normal. Only the pink Habaneros have this. They have this since their first true leaves but I don't remember how their cotyledons looked like. They still look like a few days ago. They grow. I 'll just let them grow. I' ll see how they do.[/QUOTE]
Quite interesting if they are variegated Ann, keep us up to date on how they do
KarenO

Al@NC March 18, 2018 04:43 PM

To me it looks like the leaves were possibly wet and then got sun scalded..

Al

Ann123 March 18, 2018 07:19 PM

I'll take a new pic tomorrow with daylight. Even the very new, tiny leaves are white.
I don't water them from above, so no water gets on the leaves.
This is a bit off-topic but I heard the water droplet = magnifying glass = sun scald is a myth. Charles Dowding waters his plants from above. Evening, morning, noon, he says it makes no difference if and when the water gets on the leaves. Sounds counterintuitive and I don't feel tempted to try it out but that was what I remember he said in one of his videos.

Ann123 March 18, 2018 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=pmcgrady;689938]I germinated 6 pink Hab plants from the mmmm 5 made it, all look normal.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.