Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Darn mouse!! Back to square one.... (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39815)

Lastfling February 29, 2016 01:07 PM

Darn mouse!! Back to square one....

8 days ago I planted seed for 18 varieties - 4 seed each and have been impatiently waiting ever since... Until today that is. :surprised: Over the weekend I noticed what looked like small pieces of stem in one of the seed trays but didn't think too much of it, as I hadn't noticed any sprouting. Looking closer, I also noted signs of germination with multiple little seed heads beginning to emerge. OK, I thought, this program is fixing to get underway! Yahoo.

Fast forward to this morning -- nothing / nada / zilch. :(Where yesterday there were sprouts, today there is nothing - one little wilted tomatoling cast aside out of the tray and several dug up holes.

War has been declared :x- I'm stopping on the way home for traps - sticky and otherwise. Would bring out the bait, but am afraid the "Mouser - who me?" will get into it, or eat of the bait eaters.

At the same time, I'm going to start again with hopefully a better outcome. With luck, I'll have something to plant.

Patihum February 29, 2016 02:10 PM

Good luck. Same happened to me last year. My light stand this year is surrounded by traps. It's really maddening to get up in the morning and there's nothing where the day before there were dozens of seedlings. Also might have shed a tear or two.

Gerardo February 29, 2016 02:51 PM

glue glue glue traps!!!!

AlittleSalt February 29, 2016 02:58 PM

I agree, glue traps.

We have a cat that I thought - we won't have mice. Then I caught the cat trying to lay on the seedlings.

Lastfling February 29, 2016 03:19 PM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;536324]I agree, glue traps.

We have a cat that I thought - we won't have mice. Then I caught the cat trying to lay on the seedlings.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Thats why I kept the cat locked out of that room. From the frying pan into the fire :( Glue traps coming up!

clkeiper February 29, 2016 06:19 PM

Get snap traps and bait them with rolos or tootsie rolls. It works spectacular! glue traps I can't find it in my heart to use. I hate mice, but I can't glue trap them either. Snap traps are pretty fast to kill them. If it is any consolation... You aren't the only one... I had a mouse in my greenhouse this season already diggin up my seeds and eating them. I have a tray of impatiens... 100 seeds and about 10 seedlings emerged. I think it ate all the rest. but now it is dead. I trapped it and donated it to the neighbors snake.

rhines81 February 29, 2016 07:52 PM

:?
Use something with a fixed top over it so the mice can't get to it when the seeds are germinating! They don't need light at that time, just heat and moisture.

You can even germinate them in a damp napkin or coffee filter put in a baggie inside a drawer or a gun safe (if you think the mice are that determined)! When they sprout, then put them into soil and you probably won't have an issue if you wiggle the seed helmets off first.

Hellmanns February 29, 2016 07:53 PM

A Victor mouse trap baited with a single grain of corn, will catch every mouse in the house. Just wedge the kernel of corn under the teeth on the bait peddle. I caught more than a dozen one fall and never re-baited the trap!:yes:

Gerardo February 29, 2016 08:07 PM

Glue is cruel I agree, although you do hear 'em as soon as they get stuck. You just need to help them along, cervical dislocation/decapitation is pretty fast.

Worth1 February 29, 2016 08:30 PM

While cleaning up outside the other day I killed two with the heal of my boot.
They have ruined the wiring in one of my trucks and it wont start now.:evil:

Worth

Cole_Robbie February 29, 2016 08:35 PM

[QUOTE=Gerardo;536410]Glue is cruel I agree, although you do hear 'em as soon as they get stuck. You just need to help them along, cervical dislocation/decapitation is pretty fast.[/QUOTE]

Yes. The animal rights people hate glue traps, because no one will kill the mouse when they pick up the trap. Take it outside, fold it in half, and stomp on it. That's the humane thing to do.

Worth1 February 29, 2016 08:44 PM

I hate glue traps all my neighbor lady catches with them is little harmless snakes and lizards.:(

Worth

Gerardo February 29, 2016 08:55 PM

I've got a hefty karmic debt with [I]Mus musculus.[/I]

pmcgrady February 29, 2016 09:03 PM

New traps made of plastic on the Victor design, only with a bigger trigger pan work really well also, I'd post a pic but I just have a heck of a time on an IPad ... I'll upload the pic, hit close this window (after its uploaded) and then it won't do anything

Hellmanns February 29, 2016 09:07 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;536434]I hate glue traps all my neighbor lady catches with them is little harmless snakes and lizards.:(

Worth[/QUOTE]

+1