Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Introducing "Pappy's Dream" (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=42727)

ContainerTed September 10, 2016 10:03 AM

Introducing "Pappy's Dream"

2 Attachment(s)
Here's my new release that I named to honor my Dad. Everybody called him "Pappy" and it is from him that I got my love of tomatoes and gardening. I had several choices of tomatoes to name for him because of my work on candidates over the last 9 years. This one was always special. Here's the description I put up at HeritageSeedMarket.

"[FONT=Times New Roman][B][COLOR=black][SIZE=3]Pappy’s Dream[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black][SIZE=3] – New 2016 release from the Muddy Bucket Farm. [/SIZE][SIZE=3]The taste of the pink fruit is rated as 8.5/10.[/SIZE][SIZE=3]One of it’s parents is Goose Creek (Pink).[/SIZE][SIZE=3]I’m happy it favored that parent.[/SIZE][SIZE=3]This full sized indeterminate plant will load up and deliver smooth round, slightly oblate fruit in good numbers.[/SIZE][SIZE=3]It’s been stable for the last 4 years and is at generation F8. This one should be on your “must grow” list.[/SIZE][SIZE=3]Fruit range in the 6-12 oz range and are usually blemish free.[/SIZE][SIZE=3]The name was chosen to honor my Dad.[/SIZE][SIZE=3]It took me 4 years to find one good enough.[/SIZE][SIZE=3]I had several to choose from, so you gotta know this one is pretty good."[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=black][SIZE=3]This tomato was born out of love and respect for my garden mentor. I hope you like it.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

imp September 10, 2016 10:53 AM

What a lovely way to honor him!!

Gerardo September 10, 2016 11:51 AM

An excellent choice, we all look forward to growing it and honoring Pappy by biting into it. Go Muddy Bucket Farm!

mecktom September 10, 2016 12:28 PM

That is a great story and tribute to your father. This tomato looks delicious.

Al@NC September 10, 2016 01:23 PM

Awesome way to honor your father Container Ted!

clara September 11, 2016 06:07 PM

What a great idea to give this tomato your dad's name!

KarenO September 11, 2016 06:16 PM

looks like a beauty. what is the DTM?
KarenO

ContainerTed September 12, 2016 10:23 AM

KarenO, it is early/mid season for me here in zone 6b.

DutchOverflow November 11, 2016 11:08 PM

looks amazing

ContainerTed April 19, 2017 10:46 AM

[COLOR=red][B]UPDATE:[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]After much thought and some discussions offline, I have decided to call this "[COLOR=teal][B]POTATO LEAF[/B][/COLOR]". This is because it actually is "[COLOR=blue][B]Serrated Potato Leaf[/B][/COLOR]" which has found wide spread acceptance lately. I'm sorry for any problems this might have caused, but getting it correct according to today's rules is the right thing to do. [/COLOR]

Spartanburg123 April 28, 2017 10:42 AM

That is an awesome looking tomato! Congratulations, and big kudos for recognizing your Dad that way.

creister June 13, 2017 12:56 PM

I am seeing the leaf type you describe as the plant has grown quite a bit. I ate my first one, and I will say it is a great tasting tomato. Thanks for creating this one Ted.

ContainerTed June 13, 2017 04:51 PM

[QUOTE=creister;646900]I am seeing the leaf type you describe as the plant has grown quite a bit. I ate my first one, and I will say it is a great tasting tomato. Thanks for creating this one Ted.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind comments. Somewhere, up there on the other side, a man who always kept his word and raised two boys to be good people, is smiling broadly and probably wondering why I didn't develop this one before he passed.

Like me, he was always all about the taste.

mecktom June 13, 2017 05:39 PM

Ted, you are a good son!

clkeiper June 13, 2017 09:12 PM

I have mine in... I didn't notice... I will have to check next time I am out there.