Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Pepper transplants, let them droop(wil (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45511)

Nematode July 5, 2017 02:51 PM

Pepper transplants, let them droop(wil

Pepper transplants, let them droop(wilt) a little, or keep them well watered?
Been back and forth on this, part of me says water them less frequently and let them wilt, so the roots will develop. Other part says why not give them what they need, the roots will get there eventually.

KarenO July 5, 2017 02:59 PM

makes no sense to me to ever stress a seedling.
KarenO

oakley July 5, 2017 04:52 PM

I waited a week or two before I put in my peppers as it was so hot and dry in the
Catskill garden. As well as my last 30% tomatoes.

The peppers I soaked and gave them a shade frame for the first week. It cooled off and
they settled in, never a droop. I would give them what they need...water, etc.

Once established they love that heat. (I waffled back and forth as well).

An earlier hot week I lost all the leeks I planted, but had back-ups....

dmforcier July 5, 2017 05:53 PM

Peppers are tough. A bit of droopage won't hurt, and may actually stimulate deep root growth. I let them wilt as an indicator of how often they need water. After a while you'll learn the rhythm and get to them just as they're getting ready to drop trou.

As per KarenO, be a little more careful with seedlings. But seedlings are also susceptible to overwater, too.

Nematode July 5, 2017 07:17 PM

Thanks.
Will give them what they need to get established, with the occasional droop allowed, these are not small plants, and have fruit, and seemed reluctant to move roots into the final grow media.
Will space out watering interval to encourage root growth without inducing much wilt.

Sometimes I overthink this stuff.
Nematode.

Nematode July 6, 2017 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Late but this is what I am working with.
Mesh bag (brown) is coir, and is placed on top of coir filled bag(white).
The peppers were happy for 2 weeks to not root into the white bags.
They are getting an ounce of nutrient every 60 minutes during daylight. This seems to minimize wilt at this stage. I will space out the feed based on wilting.
The coir bags are just moist, they are formulated to be dry, 70% chips, 30% peat. This sounded like a good idea for pepper, especially after my too wet substrate last year. Some but not all are sending in roots. Must be patient. It is happening but slowly.

My Foot Smells July 6, 2017 09:33 AM

that's a very imaginative setup and doing well. plants look a little scattered and not bushy. mine seem to grow more like an afro.

Nematode July 6, 2017 11:07 AM

[QUOTE=My Foot Smells;652352]that's a very imaginative setup and doing well. plants look a little scattered and not bushy. mine seem to grow more like an afro.[/QUOTE]

They were too close for too long in the tunnel, made them tall and thin. Should bush out in the next month.
Just copied commercial grow setup, not my idea.