Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Orange Habaneros (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44858)

Spike2 May 5, 2017 02:28 PM

Orange Habaneros

Does anyone grow these? I started a couple of plants and they sure are tiny little things. Are these just slow growers? Are they just small plants? Did I do something wrong? They look perfect just tiny.

Spike2 May 5, 2017 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay went and took a picture. The Orange Habanero is on the left and a Sweet Banana Pepper on the left. Both planted at the same time.

pondgardener May 5, 2017 03:47 PM

I'm growing some Scotch Bonnets, which are similar to orange habaneros, and plant size is similar to yours. Which is why they have a longer growing season than other peppers. I plant mine in late May and probably lucky to get anything until late September or October. But if they are started in a warm, humid space, they should take off.

peppero May 5, 2017 03:51 PM

I grow them every year and they just seem to sit there and do VERY LITTLE until SUDDENLY, they're growing. I have one I wintered over and it slow putting on growth. Just be patient and you will be rewarded.

Jon

Spike2 May 5, 2017 05:34 PM

Thanks!! I was so worried that I did something wrong or ???? But the plant is simply perfect! Just little. So I will quit worrying and let it be!

Worth1 May 5, 2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peppero (Post 637398)
I grow them every year and they just seem to sit there and do VERY LITTLE until SUDDENLY, they're growing. I have one I wintered over and it slow putting on growth. Just be patient and you will be rewarded.

Jon

True

Country Breeze May 5, 2017 06:46 PM

They need high temps and humidity to thrive and grow in their long season.

Bright light, 80* temps from the time you start the seed, to the time you transplant outside. Think of a tropical environment, that's what it needs to grow well. It should take off with high light and temps. Lots of waiting in our northern climate.

ScottinAtlanta May 5, 2017 06:56 PM

All of the superhots grow more slowly than the sweet ones. They are more complex chemical factories, after all.

Worth1 May 5, 2017 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta (Post 637436)
All of the superhots grow more slowly than the sweet ones. They are more complex chemical factories, after all.

You might be on to something never thought of it that way.
They do tend to just suddenly explode in the summer.
Worth

Cole_Robbie May 5, 2017 07:32 PM

Big Sun Habanero is my favorite.

Worth1 May 5, 2017 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie (Post 637449)

Brother you need to start fermenting peppers.
Seriously.
Worth

RayR May 5, 2017 07:48 PM

Spike, your Habanero and Sweet Banana peppers look just like mine right now. Perfectly normal.

ScottinAtlanta May 5, 2017 09:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And here is the advantage of over wintering the superhots - I already have ripe Chocolate Congos and Yellow Scorpions, in early May.

dmforcier May 10, 2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta (Post 637436)

Not exactly. Same chemicals, just a tad more of one particular. And one can hardly call Orange Habanero a "superhot".

Habs are C.chinense while IIRC Banana peppers are C.annuum. Chinense just tales longer to get cranked over than annuum. Don't worry; when it really gets going it will make the banana look like the piker.

dmforcier May 10, 2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie (Post 637449)

Big Sun is a PITA to grow, but I like 'em too.