Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   What will you NOT be growing again? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=8207)

Miss_Mudcat March 27, 2008 12:03 PM

What will you NOT be growing again?

Just curious if you've tried things in the past that you have given up on entirely?

I think I'm done with Cauliflower, but I can't say for sure. I think I'm done trying to get watermelons to grow... maybe. I'm pretty sure I'm done with bunching onions.

I almost gave up on Lima beans, but last year we had a hot, dry year, which they just loved. We had a great crop. I'm not sure I'll get lucky again. I don't think I'll ever grow Clint Eastwood's Rowdy Red tomato again. It was pretty bad!

I have so little space to waste on veggies that just don't perform well for me.

What about you?

annecros March 27, 2008 12:09 PM

Corn. Stick a fork in it.

shelleybean March 27, 2008 01:04 PM

Cauliflower
Corn
Watermelon
Brussels Sprouts
I'm beginning to think beets
Potaotes are getting one more chance this year

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE to [U]eat[/U] all these foods, they're either just duds for me in terms of growing or just don't have the room. :bummer:

Tania March 27, 2008 03:03 PM

That would be artichokes and brussel sprouts for me...

montanamato March 27, 2008 06:47 PM

Ditto on Brussels Sprouts. Fennel has gone to seed the last few years before heading, so will pass on that too.

Jeanne

Patapsco Mike March 27, 2008 09:10 PM

I ended my corn experiments 10 years ago...

I am formally giving up on melons. By the time I finally pick one they are close to free at all the local markets and they take up so much room it's crazy.

This is also the last year I will attempt cucumbers. For some reason I am cucumber challenged.

RosaDawn March 28, 2008 12:05 AM

Brussel sprouts!!!They brusselled,but I bristled as I had to go out every night and pick off those nasty bugs that like to chomp brussel sprouts to death..Too much work and then I couldn't eat them cause I kept thinking about those bugs and losing my appetite.

grovespirit March 28, 2008 04:57 AM

I won't grow veggies my hubby dislikes eating, such as brussels sprouts, yams, beets and bitter melon.

Artichokes, asparagus, corn, potatoes, squash, melons, and any bean except maybe Scarlet Runner (since it is so lovely and attracts hummingbirds). These veggies are too dang space hogging.

Cool weather veggies don't do so well here: onions, regular cukes, peas, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach. My climate is too tropical for them to thrive.

My sunny area that I grow in is 10'x10' so I have to use it wisely!!

barkeater March 28, 2008 11:36 AM

No more melons. It is just too cold for them here, unfortunately.

No Rhubarb. All it does is try to flower.

FlipTX March 28, 2008 09:56 PM

I've given up on melons. I've tried four times and each time, we get torrential rains a few days before the melons ripen. It's just too aggravating to wind up with melons that taste like musky cucumbers.

I also can't seem to grow spinach or carrots, so I'm giving up on those, too. I've tried probably ten times with spinach and almost that many with carrots. I'm stubborn but I have my limits!

robin303 March 28, 2008 10:03 PM

[FONT=Times New Roman]Corn! What a waste of time. Get 4 for a $1 at the store. Radishes is the 2nd. [/FONT]

GIZZARDFARM March 29, 2008 10:01 AM

Corn...waste of mater space

Ruth_10 March 29, 2008 11:45 PM

I gave up on spinach a long time ago. Swiss chard works a lot better.

Red cabbage. I love it. I try to grow it every year (except this year) and it just doesn't perform well for me.

huntoften April 3, 2008 02:56 PM

The asparagus beds are getting tilled up this year! Too much space for only one or two servings of...delicious...asparagus. A 4 year dedication of time and space. Also not growing giant pumpkins for a while. Three years and one pumpkin wasn't worth the effort. Putting in a big crop of a super hybrid sweet corn...corn does well in my garden. Probably won't ever grow broccoli again...Broccoli raab maybe, but not regular broccoli.

Lots of tomatoes, peppers, cuckes, zukes, cole crops, and okra...gotta love the staples!

Tomaat April 3, 2008 05:18 PM

I am not going to grow baby corn anymore, lots of space needed to get only small amount of harvest. Other than that I would love to (try) to grow as much as I can to fit in my garden :).