Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Herbs (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   What basils should I try? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34173)

ChristinaJo November 8, 2014 09:11 PM

What basils should I try?

Thinking of trying new basils. I don't like the heavy clove/liquerish flavored ones. I guess I like the sweet,fruity, and citrus ones.
So, what are y'all's favs in the later catagories?

heirloomtomaguy November 8, 2014 09:45 PM

My all time favorite basil is cinnamon basil. It has a spicy fruity basil flavor and is great in pasta and asian cuisine. It takes the place at our house of sweet basil for sure.

KarenO November 8, 2014 09:58 PM

If you like a traditional Genovese basil flavour but in a milder version, consider giving lettuce leaf basil a try. Big crinkly leaves, great production and a mild sweet flavour. Something a little different to try.
KO

kayrobbins November 9, 2014 06:38 AM

I really like lemon basil. It has the lighter flavor but is also slightly citrusy.

peppero November 9, 2014 06:53 AM

I like the genovese and cinnamon varieties and plan to try lemon basil in 2015.

jon:yes:

Redbaron November 9, 2014 06:55 AM

Blue spice basil is good. Sort of a 1/2 mint 1/2 basil taste.

shelleybean November 9, 2014 07:53 AM

I agree with Karen on the Lettuce Leaf basil. Excellent all purpose basil with milder flavor and very productive. The plants are a little more compact than the Genovese, as well.

kurt November 9, 2014 07:56 AM

I tried a Green Basil plant.

[QUOTE=ChristinaJo;436711]Thinking of trying new basils. I don't like the heavy clove/liquerish flavored ones. I guess I like the sweet,fruity, and citrus ones.
So, what are y'all's favs in the later catagories?[/QUOTE]

I have about 10-15 basils here and there in the yard for butterfly and bees.The one that stood out and up is this wierd Green Basil that will not die,it bolts produces pods and pods of long flowers and is now about 4ft high.It has a almost mint/camphor taste that is refreshing to nibble on when outside but is not overpowering.The only basil that seems to fight off leaf miner(blotched)and white flies.It is also called Ram Tulsi and Holy Green Basil from what I gather.

Cole_Robbie November 9, 2014 12:05 PM

Emily is a very nice compact-growing basil. It is great for containers, or companion planting where you don't want it to get too tall.

JoParrott November 10, 2014 10:15 AM

Greek Columnar Basil is my favorite, because it doesn't flower, grows in a tall neat shape and has a wonderful flavor & aroma. I have several rooted cuttings that I am keeping inside for the winter, and if you want some for US Priority postage I could do it. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Sun City Linda November 10, 2014 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=JoParrott;436862]Greek Columnar Basil is my favorite, because it doesn't flower, grows in a tall neat shape and has a wonderful flavor & aroma. I have several rooted cuttings that I am keeping inside for the winter, and if you want some for US Priority postage I could do it. Send me a PM if you are interested.[/QUOTE]

I was able to find and purchase Greek Columnar Basil this season after reading about it on TVille. I found it at the Bonnie display at Lowes. And it does root quite easily!

kayrobbins November 10, 2014 12:08 PM

Greek Coumnar is one of my favorites too but I did not mention it because the original post mentioned not liking strong tasting basil and I do consider it pretty strong. I love it because it stands up to heat and humidity. It is producing when my other basil gives up. I have cutting rooted for next season too.

Sun City Linda November 10, 2014 12:21 PM

Greek Columnar seemed like it had a fairly strong, typical basil taste to me also

Tormato November 10, 2014 12:39 PM

[QUOTE=ChristinaJo;436711]Thinking of trying new basils. I don't like the heavy clove/liquerish flavored ones. I guess I like the sweet,fruity, and citrus ones.
So, what are y'all's favs in the later catagories?[/QUOTE]

That would mean that Siam Queen is a no go, for you.

JoParrott November 11, 2014 01:06 AM

I don't consider Greek Columner to be strong- just "robust" - delicious to me ! I guess taste is in the mouth of the beholder ?