Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Dotson’s Lebanese Heart (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46982)

waltny March 13, 2018 09:56 AM

Dotson’s Lebanese Heart

I saved some seed from a Dotson Lebanese heart tomato at the 2017 CHOPTAG gathering and was doing some research on it before deciding to grow out for this year.

It appears to be a stable heart mutation of Omar’s Lebanese Tomato which for the most part has decent to high reviews on size and taste. Can one take the reviews of Omar and generally apply them to Dotson with the caveat being tomato shape?

Nan_PA_6b March 13, 2018 10:14 AM

So far as I can tell, the only difference is shape. Taste, productivity, size, production, all seem the same. But I've only ever grown Dotson's, not Omar's. Dr. Dotson will be along shortly with a comment, I bet.

Nan

Spartanburg123 March 13, 2018 01:00 PM

Waltny, correct- it appears that the fruit shape is the only difference. Even the leaves are quite broad, and not wispy as is fairly common with heart types. The fruit shape can be quite blunt or even pointy, there is some variability in that.

Thanks!

Darin

carolyn137 March 13, 2018 01:57 PM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;689036]So far as I can tell, the only difference is shape. Taste, productivity, size, production, all seem the same. But I've only ever grown Dotson's, not Omar's. Dr. Dotson will be along shortly with a comment, I bet.

Nan[/QUOTE]

Yes, the only difference is shape.

I've grown both Omar Lebanese Heart as well as the Dotson one.

Nan directed her question to Dr.Dotson, so this is Dr.Male,which I never use here or elsewhere as far as that goes.

Darin, I was going through some envelopes recently having to do with Shawn's and my Seed offer now up in the trade Forum, and what did I find? The seeds you sent to me, the address is correct, and it looks like you sent them to me Sept, 2015.

I opened it up to see a long plastic bag and you wrote

Not Omar's Lebanese,a blunt heart

Seed Source Totally tomatoes

Then you give your tville user name and your phone number.

I look and see plenty of seeds still left,so why don't all of us start from the beginning again and wipe out all the contentious threads,the absolute nastiness,IMO of the past. Sounds like a good plan to at least me.

You also sent seeds to Marsha at the same time but you might remember that I was in the hospital for surgery and by the time I got out of rehab, and by the time they brought up ALL my mail for me to sort thru,in one of those white bins, I was late to the race in getting them to my seed producers and you know very very well who did the seed production ,one of my seed producers whose user name starts with a... well you know.;):)

Carolyn,not Dr.Male, which was for her professional life only, as she alluded to above ,but not her gardening life and experiences of many many decades, old lady as she is.;)

waltny March 13, 2018 07:10 PM

Thanks for the replies all, Ill give it a go this year.

Spartanburg123 March 14, 2018 10:48 AM

Best of luck Waltny! I'll be keeping a thread in the Photo Gallery updated, so perhaps you can post your progress there.

Black Krim March 18, 2018 04:23 PM

Nice to hear the connection of the two varieites. I have the Dotson planted so no need to buy the other one this year. On the list for next year though.

Thanks Carolyn for the details.

ginger2778 March 18, 2018 06:08 PM

Folks, if anyone wants seeds of this, I have fresh ones from 6 weeks ago. Just pm, no SASE needed.

rhoder551 March 24, 2018 05:01 PM

I'm looking forward to growing the Dotson Lebanese Heart this year... thanks Dr. Dotson ! Started seeds a week ago and they sprouted quickly.

Spartanburg123 March 24, 2018 08:49 PM

[QUOTE=rhoder551;691188]I'm looking forward to growing the Dotson Lebanese Heart this year... thanks Dr. Dotson ! Started seeds a week ago and they sprouted quickly.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Rhoder!! So glad to hear it. I hope they do well for you this Spring. They are on the late side regarding days to maturity, but it looks like you've got a good head start.

All the best!

Darin

rhoder551 May 10, 2018 03:10 PM

I planted a Doton's Heart a couple of days ago... no problems and the seedling looks healthy. I also gave a seedling to a friend who is a great gardener. As the season moves on, I will post pics and growing info...

Spartanburg123 May 10, 2018 03:44 PM

[QUOTE=rhoder551;699365]I planted a Doton's Heart a couple of days ago... no problems and the seedling looks healthy. I also gave a seedling to a friend who is a great gardener. As the season moves on, I will post pics and growing info...[/QUOTE]

Sounds good Rhoder- thanks for sharing with friends! I have planted only one, and given about 6 away to friends as well. Unfortunately, I don't know which RL plant is DLH in my garden due to a mix up in the seed tray. Oh well, I'll know when the fruit shows up! Best of luck!

Darin:)

Nan_PA_6b May 10, 2018 05:10 PM

Got one growing here and am sending one to a friend in Albany NY.

Nan

carolyn137 May 10, 2018 05:42 PM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;699383]Got one growing here and am sending one to a friend in Albany NY.

Nan[/QUOTE]

Nan,you do realize that Albany and the area around it, is where I'm originally from, and in Albany itself,no one grows tomatoes.Albany being the capital of NYS all they grow at the State House is politicians.;):lol:

Before you send the seeds why don't I send you seeds for Omar's Lebanese Heart,;) same thing as the Dotson one, the beefsteak one was the original,from Omar Saab himself, and it's so good to be back in touch with him ,it really is.He can remember the names of the hill towns above Beirut and which one his family went to in the summer to escape the high heat and humidity of Beirut,which is on the Med and the exact summer home he went to as a child and interesting to me is that those homes are passed down from one generation to the next generation. He's still teaching,that's how I first met him in the US where I was teaching at the time,but has moved to Sweden,married, and continues to teach but online.And continues to visit Lebanon to keep in touch with relatives and many friends there as well.

Carolyn,just noting that of course I know that it was Darin who discovered the heart form, and recently I found the envelope with those seeds he sent me which said on the back.....possible heart and gave his phone number..

Worth1 May 10, 2018 05:45 PM

So Albany is another native vulture nesting ground like Austin is.:lol:

Worth