Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Soilbuilding 101™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   fly infestation in compost anyone use diatomaceous earth? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=10018)

maricybele January 6, 2009 04:12 AM

fly infestation in compost anyone use diatomaceous earth?

Even though I bury wet compostables, I had an awful fly problem. (the manure kind a black a little larger than a fruit fly) Just a nasty mess of em. Has anyone use diatomaceous earth in compost? I don't want to mess up the process, just cut the population a bit.

This year when I brought my peppers in, the flys hatched indoors along with a few fungus gnats and aphids. I have been giving garlic soap baths and will try a little de on the plants tomorrow. Any other suggestions for compost control and the after math.

Thanks

amideutch January 6, 2009 10:16 AM

Maricybele, used DE on ants but not on flies. Give it a try and see what happens. The "Monterey Garden Insect Spray" which is organic just might be what you need. I did a post on it in the "Garden Disease Pest Forum". Does your compost pile heat up during the composting process or is it let it set for a year and breaks down naturally? Ami

maricybele January 6, 2009 12:45 PM

Its a hot pile up, I use one of those compost lifters when I add kitchen waste and cover with used coffee grounds.

hasshoes January 6, 2009 07:24 PM

DE should work on flies. . . it worked for me on weird knats, flying ants, and I believe termites. Oh yes, also ticks, which are impossible to kill! :0) I killed a fly with Windex yesterday actually, so if that works moisture sucking DE should def. do the trick!

maricybele January 9, 2009 03:23 AM

Thanks for the advice.

Tomaat January 13, 2009 05:09 PM

Sorry to hijack Maricybele... what is DE stand for ?
I have some gnats attacking my indoor (over-wintering) plants. Thanks!

maricybele January 13, 2009 05:12 PM

diatomaceous earth....

Tomaat January 13, 2009 05:12 PM

Sorry for my silly questions, got the answer for the Diatomaceous Earth (DE) :).

Tomaat January 13, 2009 05:13 PM

Thanks Maricybele! We are posting at the same time :).

mresseguie January 19, 2009 01:48 AM

Hello, Maricybele.

We might just be neighbors. I'm in Corvallis, which is also zone 8 in Oregon. :))

I'm not sure what those insects are, but are they really a problem? You've got a hot pile; it's outside. Other than their wanting to fly into your face when you turn the pile, I don't see how they would be a problem for the compost or its process.

Isn't DE water soluble? Or, at least, doesn't it break down quickly when exposed to moisture?

Could it be that your pile is too wet, and therefore it attracts those flies? Do you know what C:N ratio your pile is?

Do you cover your pile? If yes, and it fits loosely, have you tried laying a couple burlap sacks directly on top of the pile? This will diminish the likelihood of unwanted insects' entering the pile. (You can get burlap sacks from coffee roasters-Allann Brothers in Albany, Sivetz in Corvallis, etc.)

I've got 4 piles cooking right now, and I haven't noticed a fly problem. My piles are made from approx. 35-40% coffee grounds, 5-10% kitchen waste, and 50+% unshredded leaves. I zealously collect coffee grounds from two Starbucks' shops in town.

Regards,

Michael
Enjoy life!

maricybele January 19, 2009 04:05 AM

My piles are hot and perhaps a little wet and the worst one is the compost black barrell type bin and all are covered. I use a lot of coffee and leaves too. The issue with the flys is that that hatched with the indoor overwintering peppers/egg plants and I want as few pests as possible inside. happy to have them in the plant area with my baby plants. A few flies are to be expected but at one point last year it was absolutely disgusting.

mresseguie January 19, 2009 10:23 AM

Maricybele,

Now I've got a clearer picture of your problem. I'd thought you were concerned about the outside piles--silly me! To get rid of insects and other nasties, the compost can be pasteurized. I don't have the info at my fingertips, but it seems to me that setting compost on a cookie sheet, and baking at 160 degrees for 30 minutes will do it. Hang on a sec..... Yeah....here's a link from New Mexico State University on the subject:

[url]http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/CES/yard/1999/071299.html[/url]

If you are close to Corvallis, PM me sometime. We can get together over compost. :lol:

Michael

P.S. Good for you for using coffee grounds as a nitrogen source! I collect them faster than I can use them this time of year. I've got approx. fifty 25 lb to 40 lb bags stockpiled for future needs.