Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Varieties you simply can't find (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=48811)

Solanum315 April 23, 2019 03:12 PM

[QUOTE=Tormato;730818]Anahu, Healani, Kewalo, Kalohi, Puunui, Molokai, HES 4857.

I'll pick up the varieties myself, one a day, if someone will pay for the stay and the round trip. ;)[/QUOTE]

I have Molokai seeds. Here are my notes from 2013:

Molokai (RL)- 2013: From Ghana. Small to medium sized plant produces an abundance of smooth, golf ball sized fruit. Taste is lacking. Surprisingly soft and juicy but not much else to recommend.

They are a few years old but should still germinate just fine. PM me your address if you want a few.

sierrahiker February 17, 2020 07:22 PM

hard to find varieties

I save and grow an old Mormon tomato called Hansom ,developed by a prof Hamom and Camp soup co. for short seasons 70 days very tastete med red

PhilaGardener February 18, 2020 06:12 AM

That's neat, sierrahiker! Thanks for keeping that going and passing it on!

Black Krim February 22, 2020 08:05 PM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;729578]I agree.

Also Medovaya Kaplya.[/QUOTE]

Try Sandhill Preservation. I cant open online to double check.

added, found my pkt and its from Sandhill.

Wi-sunflower February 23, 2020 02:20 PM

Anyone looking for Medovaya Kaplya, I have it listed at my site.

Carol

edweather February 23, 2020 04:08 PM

Definitely going to bag a few blossoms on my Estler's Mortage Lifter, and Indian Stripe PL. Not too tough to find, but not that easy either,

imp February 23, 2020 05:40 PM

Through a generous gift, I received seeds for Estler's Mortgage Lifter direct from the granddaughter of the an who created it this year. I will be bagging and saving seeds from it.

SueCT February 23, 2020 06:09 PM

I received a similar generous donation. I will be growing them hopefully along side ML seeds I got from Carolyn and my own saved ML seeds. I usually only grow one plant of each variety, but this year I wll be growing more ML to try to verify the quality of my own seeds as well as Carolyn's, and keep it going by obtaining fresh seeds from the grow outs.

Wi-sunflower February 24, 2020 09:11 AM

I would like to make an observation about a possibility of WHY some of these seeds are hard to find. Maybe it's because no one orders them !!!

Personally I have a site with over 550 varieties listed, including several mentioned in this thread. But I would guess that there are AT LEAST 100 varieties on the list that have never been ordered for the last 3 or more years. As a small company that grows ALL it's own seed, it's hard to continue to grow out fresh seed if no one ever buys it. Even tho I personally like many of the varieties and there was a buzz here about them when I got them, eventually I won't be able to keep growing some of them.

JMO,
Carol

Mashman June 20, 2021 03:00 PM

I've been unable to find a seed source for Japanese Pink Cherry. I would like to grow it next season (2022). Starting the search now. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

Tormato June 21, 2021 04:27 PM

[QUOTE=Mashman;764604]I've been unable to find a seed source for Japanese Pink Cherry. I would like to grow it next season (2022). Starting the search now. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Michael[/QUOTE]

I'll see what I have, and also will probably have some sent to me later in the year. Because it has had some off-types show up, I'll try to request seed only from someone who's grown and saved the real thing.

Mashman June 21, 2021 05:08 PM

[QUOTE=Tormato;764626]I'll see what I have, and also will probably have some sent to me later in the year. Because it has had some off-types show up, I'll try to request seed only from someone who's grown and saved the real thing.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate that a ton Tormato.

On a side note.... I grew Aunt Ginny's Purple for the first time last year. Whoa! You called that one. Incredible flavor. Thank you.

Michael