Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Fruit, Flowers and Ornamentals (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Am I a Native Perennial or Weed ? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44683)

greenthumbomaha April 28, 2017 03:34 PM

Am I a Native Perennial or Weed ?

10 Attachment(s)
A small gift and plant shop closed last week. It was not a bad thing; she opened a bar and grill near where I used to live. The owner invited her former customers to come dig the plants she had in the outdoor garden next to her gift shop. The plants were just coming up and the beds had not been weeded.

Can you recognize any treasures (or yucks) in the plants I dug up?

Cole_Robbie April 28, 2017 05:34 PM

2nd pic from the top and 2nd pic up from the bottom both look like horse weed to me.

4th pic up from the bottom looks like Johnson Grass.

If I'm right, those are two of the most invasive weeds in existence.

Labradors2 April 28, 2017 06:24 PM

3 looks like Obedient Plant. Should have square stems.
4 pretty sure that is Phlox
5 looks interesting!
6 pretty sure that is Knapweed (it's cultivated, not a weed)
8 pretty sure it's Gayfeather (purple or white blooms)
10 I would keep

Linda

greenthumbomaha April 29, 2017 01:30 AM

Thank you! I have enough weeds without starting a new collection.
A good body of knowledge we have here.

I thought 3 might be Pigweed. Glad to find out it is a perennial, even thought it doesn't behave like it's namesake. I have liatrus in my garden but I didn't recognize it at this early stage. When the rain breaks I'll see if it is up yet. I have knapweed too, so I'll be able to verify that. It spreads readily here. What is your secret technique, Linda, for identifying these young specimens? I'll post pics as they mature so we can see what they actually become.

- Lisa

oakley April 29, 2017 11:40 AM

One hint is signs of dead-heading. Clipped stems on last years growth in the clump.
Either having been cut for indoor flowers or cut for plant health in the fall and to prevent
re-seeding of invasive ones.
The single fresh stalk with thin leaves look much like a common weed we have here.
Not sure.

MissS April 29, 2017 01:16 PM

1 may be Pearly Everlasting
2 and 9 I believe are Goldenrod
3 Is two different plants. The fuzzy leaf is Rudbeckia. The other could be many things. Inula,
dianthus or maybe even Swamp Milkweed.
4 I agree is Pholx
5 Will be blooming soon, so we will see.
6 Looks like some kind of flowering bulb
7 I agree looks like Liatris. It may also be Rosemary.
The last picture seems to be Lychnis. The orange flowered variety with the light green leaves.

greenthumbomaha April 30, 2017 10:15 AM

At least if there is a weed it is contained in a container for now.

The yellow bucket (7) would be Liatrus. I've tried to overwinter Arp Rosemary outdoors and it didn't make it. Now I overwinter Rosemary in an unheated east facing room that stays at a minimum of 55 degrees with very good results. The one caveat is that bucket isn't drained at the bottom and its raining "buckets".

The weather is playing tricks this week. We'll see how things look after the snow tomorrow.

I left out one plant that I'm curious about, It looks like a young thornless raspberry but she didn't have any edibles. I'll get a photo when the rain lets up.

- Lisa

Deborah April 30, 2017 01:07 PM

What's Arp rosemary?

greenthumbomaha April 30, 2017 03:44 PM

Deborah, its a cold hardy variety of Rosemary for northern growers. It didn't survive my Zone 5 as stated on the label. Hopefully other northern gardeners have a better outcome. You have many choices for perennial rosemary in your climate. Expensive failure for me.

- Lisa

Deborah April 30, 2017 04:01 PM

Oh. Thanks for explaining. I'm interested in what the raspberry-like plant turns out to be.

greenthumbomaha May 21, 2017 11:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not much to update on the above plants. Some are still waiting to go into the ground.

This popped up in the lawn, which is bring over run by raspberries. It doesn't look like its siblings. It's shorter too, and has no prickly stems. There are two like this. Is this a weed or baby raspberry?

- Lisa

NewWestGardener May 22, 2017 07:40 AM

Weed!

MissS May 22, 2017 09:39 AM

Weed.

greenthumbomaha July 5, 2017 04:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The fuzzy leaf plant in the first picture grew to this and then flowered. Any idea what it is?

I'm also curious as to the three plants in the next photo. The small plant at the bottom is sweet woodruff, the middle phlox?, and the top??

- Lisa

MissS July 5, 2017 05:53 PM

The first and second picture is Cupid's Dart or Catananche caerulea.

I think that I have the other blue flowered plant. I will have to look it up for you. It is a native and likes a moist situation. From the picture it looks the same as mine. Is it a two lipped flower sort of a snap-dragon type?