Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Gardening in the Green™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Need some help with converting to organic fertilizer (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44201)

ARgardener March 8, 2017 06:49 PM

Need some help with converting to organic fertilizer

Okay, per soil test, my vegetable garden needs 1 lb per 1,000 sq ft of Nitrogen ( and 1/2 that for legume crops)

The synthetic fert recommendation is 2 lb urea (or 3 lb of 34-0-0).

I want to use soybean meal and alfalfa meal for my nitrogen requirements... this is feasible right?

According my (unreliable) math, I'd need 21.6 lb of 3 part soy: 1 part alfala.
Or 23.5 lb of 2 part soy: 1 part alfalfa.
Is this right?

Soybean meal: 7-2-1
Alfalfa meal: 2.5-0.5-2

All input greatly appreciated!

AlittleSalt March 8, 2017 07:28 PM

Legume crops like Black eyed peas fixate nitrogen which will help add nitrogen to your garden.

I know this may sound gross, but human urine is also an organic way to add nitrogen to the soil. But the person/s donating needs to be healthy. There is a lot of info on this online.

Worth1 March 8, 2017 07:54 PM

If you are going the legume route plant crimson clover and turn it in or cut it down before it goes to seed.
Growing and harvesting legumes doesn't add that much nitrogen to the soil the plant uses it.
Another alternative is cotton seed meal as in cow feed.

ARgardener March 8, 2017 10:08 PM

I'm not wanting to use legumes as a source for garden nitrogen, really.. I'm wanting to use the soy meal and alfalfa meal that I have

AlittleSalt March 8, 2017 10:17 PM

AR, that's the magic words. "I already have them" I've been there too many times to count. I would think they would both help.

I did misunderstand your question at first.

BigVanVader March 8, 2017 10:28 PM

Calcium nitrate is what I'd use. That's what I was told was best by my extension office and it's relatively cheap and very effective. I have used it in my fert regiment for 2 years now and the results are nearly instant. Can't help on the amounts, my math is terrible.

ARgardener March 8, 2017 11:26 PM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;624201]AR, that's the magic words. "I already have them" I've been there too many times to count. I would think they would both help.

I did misunderstand your question at first.[/QUOTE]

Thanks... now just wondering if my math is right..

ARgardener March 8, 2017 11:28 PM

[QUOTE=BigVanVader;624203]Calcium nitrate is what I'd use. That's what I was told was best by my extension office and it's relatively cheap and very effective. I have used it in my fert regiment for 2 years now and the results are nearly instant. Can't help on the amounts, my math is terrible.[/QUOTE]

From what I read, this product isn't suitable for any type of "organic" gardening.
Thanks for the input, though.

zeuspaul March 9, 2017 03:08 AM

[QUOTE=ARgardener;624118]Okay, per soil test, my vegetable garden needs 1 lb per 1,000 sq ft of Nitrogen ( and 1/2 that for legume crops)

The synthetic fert recommendation is 2 lb urea (or 3 lb of 34-0-0).

I want to use soybean meal and alfalfa meal for my nitrogen requirements... this is feasible right?

According my (unreliable) math, I'd need 21.6 lb of 3 part soy: 1 part alfala.
Or 23.5 lb of 2 part soy: 1 part alfalfa.
Is this right?

Soybean meal: 7-2-1
Alfalfa meal: 2.5-0.5-2

All input greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

Assuming the organics are equally available as the synthetics and your ratios are all by weight.

In your 21.6 lb mixture you have 1.13 lbs alfalfa nitrogen and 0.13 lbs soy nitrogen for a total of 1.26 lbs nitrogen.

In your 23.5 lb mix you have 1.1 lbs alfalfa nitrogen and 0.19 lbs soy nitrogen for a total of 1.29 lbs nitrogen.

ARgardener March 9, 2017 08:12 AM

[QUOTE=zeuspaul;624247]Assuming the organics are equally available as the synthetics and your ratios are all by weight.

In your 21.6 lb mixture you have 1.13 lbs alfalfa nitrogen and 0.13 lbs soy nitrogen for a total of 1.26 lbs nitrogen.

In your 23.5 lb mix you have 1.1 lbs alfalfa nitrogen and 0.19 lbs soy nitrogen for a total of 1.29 lbs nitrogen.[/QUOTE]

Thank you:)
I think that's acceptably close.

Cole_Robbie March 9, 2017 12:56 PM

[url]http://extension.uga.edu/publications/detail.cfm?number=C853[/url]
[B][I]How to Convert an Inorganic Fertilizer Recommendation to an Organic One[/I][/B]

ARgardener March 9, 2017 01:07 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;624300][url]http://extension.uga.edu/publications/detail.cfm?number=C853[/url]
[B][I]How to Convert an Inorganic Fertilizer Recommendation to an Organic One[/I][/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks. That's the method I used to get to my current numbers... so hopefully it's good.

barbamWY March 19, 2017 04:36 PM

I think that link would be good in a sticky.