Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Our Garden Cookbook™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Meat Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=8329)

TheDens June 28, 2006 12:20 AM

Roasted red pepper and goat cheese stuffed chicken breasts

[b]Roasted Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts[/b]

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 oz. herbed soft goat cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped roasted red pepper
dash of table salt
kosher salt
paprika
fresh ground pepper
olive oil

Combine goat cheese, roasted red pepper, and a dash of salt. Crumble the goat cheese with your fingers, loosely mixing in the other ingredients.
Cut a pocket into each chicken breast. Loosely fill the pockets with the goat cheese mixture and close tightly using toothpicks. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with paprika, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper.
On medium high, heat just enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the skillet. Sear the breasts about 2 minutes on each side (or until they no longer stick to the pan). Reduce heat to medium and cook until chicken is done, about 8 minutes per side. Note: this time will vary depending on the size of the chicken breast.

Althea December 12, 2006 06:55 AM

Swedish Meatballs

Sma Kottbullar
(Small Swedish Meatballs)

1 Tbls butter
4 Tbls finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic finely chopped

Sautee onion and garlic in the butter for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent, but not brown.

1 large boiled potato mashed (1 cup)
3 Tbls fine dry bread crumbs
1 Lb lean ground beef
1/3 cup heavy cream or milk
1 Tsp salt
1 egg
1 Tbls finely chopped parsley (optional)

In a large bowl, combine all of the above ingredients. Knead with both hands or beat with a wooden spoon until all of the ingredients are well blended and the mixture is smooth and fluffy.

Shape into small ball about 1" diameter. Arrange the meatballs in one layer on a baking sheet or flat tray, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for at least an hour before cooking.

Cook in an iron skillet on medium heat in 2 tbls butter or oil. Keep rolling them in the pan so they cook evenly. Add more butter or oil as needed for each batch. Transfer each finished batch to a casserole or baking dish and place in 200 degree oven to keep warm.

Serve as is for an appetizer or for a main course serve with mashed potatoes and gravey made with the skillet juice, 1tbls flour, 3/4 cup milk or cream. Brown flour, add milk stirring constantly, boil for 2 minutes until thick and creamy.

landarc December 13, 2006 02:31 AM

Oh, I do love meatballs. I had no idea that Swedish meatballs had potato in them, that would explain the texture. I have always had them with the creamy pan gravy over noodles, is this not the way to eat them?

Althea December 13, 2006 06:38 AM

Bob, yes, noodles can be substitued for potatoes. (Since this is a potato recipe file, I omitted any mention of noodles.) Egg noodles are best, imho. When I make the meatballs, I usually boil enough potatoes to serve with the gravy.

aaaccc December 13, 2006 08:04 AM

I've got to try this one, sounds yummy. But the way my son eats I'll probably have to triple the recipe :roll:

gardengalrn December 19, 2006 10:50 PM

Delicious venison recipe...

Of course best served with a fresh tomato;P
Anyway, I was watching Martha the other day and she had a chef on there (I can't remember his name but he studied in Italy, long red hair pulled back in a pony tail) talking about venision. I love the flavor of venison but it seems that no matter how I cook it, it is rather tough and sometimes too dry. He was saying that you NEVER marinate venison in an acid, which I didn't know.
You take your venison steaks and put them in a shallow pan. Cover with virgin olive oil, extra virgin is better. Thinly slice several (I'm a garlic lover and used quite a bit) garlic cloves, bruise several rosemary twigs and throw that around in the pan. The original recipe called for crushed juniper berries which I would never find in any grocery around here but he said you could substitute just a tiny splash of gin. You let this marinate at least 2 hours, over night is best. He fried it up on a cast iron grill which I don't have, so I fried it in my cast iron skillet. I was afraid the rosemary would be too strong for my taste because it had a strong aroma but it was WONDERFUL. It is the first venison I've made that you could cut with the fork, tender and juicy. He said not to salt/pepper until just before cooking and be generous with it. This whole thing was a revelation to me, so I was tickled to tell people about it, LOL.
The original recipe came with a hubbard squash side and a wine sauce which I felt was WAY too involved for the average family meal and my people here would never go for. I did a much revised version of the squash recipe which can be found on the Martha Stewart web site.

landarc December 19, 2006 11:29 PM

Sounds like a good thing. I wonder why you should never marinate venison in an acid? Does it make it tougher?

gardengalrn December 20, 2006 12:27 AM

He said it turned the meat a pale, unappealing color. The acid and salt draws out the moisture, also. Lori

t

Granny April 4, 2007 01:05 PM

Old time venison recipes - including some very well known ones - specify marinating venison in buttermilk. (That is certainly acid.)

I've cooked venison for years. My favorite marinade is 1/2 cup or so of soy sauce and about an equal amount of olive oil. Pour over the venison in a ziplock and marinate not one minute more than 2 hours. For steaks ~ 30 to 45 minutes is more than enough. This tenderizes even the toughest venison.

tomatoaddict April 25, 2007 10:46 PM

If You Like White Castle Burgers

If you like White Castle burgers, then here is a great recipe. Tastes just like one but looks like a sloppy Joe.
Take a couple of pounds or burger meat. Cook in a skillet. Drain meat but leave a couple of tblspoons of oil. Mix in 1/2 cup flour to oil.
Mix in 2 cans of Cambells French Onion soup. Let thicken up and add salt and pepper. Serve on buns with mustard and pickle. ;)

feldon30 April 25, 2007 11:06 PM

Who do I send the medical bills to? ;) ;) ;)

Downinmyback April 25, 2007 11:53 PM

Do you cook it after adding the flour or just eat it raw.

tomatoaddict April 26, 2007 07:58 AM

Sure, You cook the soup and meat for about 20-30 min.8)

Adenn1 April 27, 2007 07:33 AM

That sounds pretty good...something the kids would like I bet. Thanks...

Earl May 18, 2007 10:09 PM

Sounds good to me. I'm going to try it, love them White Castles! :-)