Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Rhubarb in the South (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=11018)

Amigatec April 23, 2009 09:48 PM

Rhubarb in the South

Has anyone in the south been able to grow rhubarb?

dhrtx May 12, 2009 10:45 PM

No, but I have read how to do it in Texas. You are supposed to start seeds indoors in late summer, transplant to garden in fall, and harvest in the spring. It is not supposed to make it through the hot summers. There were more details, and I think it was info from Tx A&M. Hope you have success if you try!

feldon30 May 13, 2009 04:06 AM

Wow I didn't know Rhubarb was available as seeds. I guess I thought you just had to buy plants or cuttings. Up North you just cut it back every year and then do a continual harvest in the spring.

Oh how I miss a good Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler.

stormymater May 13, 2009 10:08 AM

ya know I was wondering about this - impulsively I bought a small pot of rhubarb but I kind of doubt it'll make it at the beach - even out of blazing sun. Probably better in the triangle area (Raleigh-Durham- CH)?

jungseed May 13, 2009 04:15 PM

Had rhubarb pie on Mother's day. It was goooood. Was just wondering today. Can you grow asparagus down there? Had a big batch of that last night for supper. They both taste like spring to me.

Amigatec May 13, 2009 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is how I am growing it.
This was a few days ago it's bigger now.

I have tried about a dozen different types this is Victoria type.

This summer I will move it in the house.

stormymater May 14, 2009 11:38 AM

[quote=jungseed;130617]Had rhubarb pie on Mother's day. It was goooood. Was just wondering today. Can you grow asparagus down there? Had a big batch of that last night for supper. They both taste like spring to me.[/quote]
Asparagus LOVE the sandy loam at the beach. They also LOVE the salt in the air. Wild & cultivated asparagus to GREAT here in coastal 7b-8!

jungseed May 14, 2009 04:28 PM

thanks for letting me know about the asparagus. I had always wondered. Does it also grow further south?

OmahaJB May 14, 2009 04:56 PM

Feldon,

Baker Creek sells 25 Victoria rhubarb seeds for $1.50. Unless they're sold out. I transplanted out about a month ago since it is a cool weather crop and I had water shields to help protect them if temps got below freezing. Have 5 going strong and will sacrifice a couple of plants to have rhubarb pie when they are big enough this summer.

I was wondering if you guys down south are able to grow in containers and bring them into the house during the hotter months, and Amigatec answered that question. As much as I like rhubarb pie and sauce I'd have to give it a try if I lived in a warmer climate.

Jeff