Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Soilbuilding 101™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   How to make Kudzu Compost (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=29256)

ScottinAtlanta July 16, 2013 02:17 PM

How to make Kudzu Compost

6 Attachment(s)
Folks, Kudzu, a legume vine, is rich in nitrogen, and acts as a turbo booster to heat up my compost pile. I add a batch every couple of weeks, turn well, and let it steam. Here is a photo essay on how to make it.

The six steps are:

1. Get your harvesting tool, and go cut some kudzu. Cut vines and leaves. Watch for snakes and bugs - both love the kudzu. The vine is easy to cut, and has no hairs or thorns to bother you. DON'T USE KUDZU THAT HAS BEEN SPRAYED WITH A HERBICIDE!
2. Get you a big pile of the leaves and vines. I use about 4-5 bushels at a time.
3. Mulch the kudzu in a shredder. I use a Craftsman chipper. Make sure you shred it well - it will want to revive and grow again if you don't.
4. The shredded kudzu - ready to compost.
5. Put it on your compost pile and mix it in. I add a little water to wet it at this stage. Not too much, just wet.
6. Sit back and wait for the heat.

mari.beth July 16, 2013 09:16 PM

As a native Atlantan, this caught my eye. What a great use for kudzu!!!

Redbaron July 17, 2013 05:49 AM

Have you had a chance to use this Kudzu compost yet? Theoretically it should be extra rich in trace minerals since kudzu is deep rooted. But have you tried it yet?

kurt July 17, 2013 08:59 AM

[URL]http://home.comcast.net/~pobrien48/Tomatoes_World_Record.htm[/URL] Saw this about a year ago.Under food and water paragraph he states.[SIZE=4]Shredded [COLOR=green]kudzu[/COLOR] is a key [COLOR=green]ingre[/COLOR][COLOR=black]dient in Mr. Wilber's remarkable recipe[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Redbaron July 17, 2013 09:08 AM

[QUOTE=kurt;364314][URL]http://home.comcast.net/~pobrien48/Tomatoes_World_Record.htm[/URL] Saw this about a year ago.Under food and water paragraph he states.[SIZE=4]Shredded [COLOR=green]kudzu[/COLOR] is a key [COLOR=green]ingre[/COLOR][COLOR=black]dient in Mr. Wilber's remarkable recipe[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Bingo! I found it! [QUOTE]Shredded kudzu is a key ingredient in Mr. Wilber's remarkable recipe. [/QUOTE]

So I guess it is more than just theoretical!:yes: Kudzu is a great compost ingredient!

Thanks for that Scott. You found the perfect use for an invasive weed.:yes: Or I guess Wilber did.:P

PS. Please keep us informed as to your personal results.

ScottinAtlanta July 17, 2013 02:12 PM

[QUOTE=Redbaron;364287]Have you had a chance to use this Kudzu compost yet? Theoretically it should be extra rich in trace minerals since kudzu is deep rooted. But have you tried it yet?[/QUOTE]

Not yet - but I am starting some pots today for tomatoes, eggplants, and herbs, and I will use this compost, using Tania's container soil recipe which she kindly posted here [url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=29166&page=2[/url]

The problem I have is that large volumes of material compost down to small amounts of compost - I need to step up my composting if I am to have enough to dress my raised beds with 2 inches of compost this fall.

Redbaron July 17, 2013 04:10 PM

[QUOTE=ScottinAtlanta;364399]Not yet - but I am starting some pots today for tomatoes, eggplants, and herbs, and I will use this compost, using Tania's container soil recipe which she kindly posted here [url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=29166&page=2[/url]

The problem I have is that large volumes of material compost down to small amounts of compost - I need to step up my composting if I am to have enough to dress my raised beds with 2 inches of compost this fall.[/QUOTE]

One trick to boost up the volume for fall is tree leaves. They don't have to be "cooked" like other materials and leave more bulk after finished. So what I typically do is chop up leaves and mix it with my normal compost or just layer it directly on my beds. Whichever you prefer.

efisakov July 17, 2013 04:17 PM

Scott, would you suggest to use grass cuttings as well?

Redbaron July 17, 2013 04:47 PM

[QUOTE=efisakov;364435]Scott, would you suggest to use to use grass cuttings as well?[/QUOTE]

There are 2 Scotts posting here! :)) But if you are asking me.....my primary compost material is grass clippings. I don't have Kudzu to use. The problem with grass clippings is what Scott from Atlanta mentioned. ie they compost down to almost nothing.

I basically use grass clippings and kitchen scraps and some horse manure to make compost, usually in a pile right in the garden. If not directly in the garden, then right beside the garden and I extend the garden over that area the following year. For the first year I have quite a large pile of free bark from a cottonwood tree which I will chop up and use too.

But in fall I use a lot of chopped leaves to either mix with the compost and/or a layer over the garden. I have used both methods and both work fine. It is hard to tell for sure which may be best. Both work.

mecktom July 17, 2013 05:37 PM

I am sure this works but after living in the South all my life and seeing cudzu gone wild...I would never bring any form of it on my farm.

efisakov July 17, 2013 06:52 PM

[QUOTE=Redbaron;364442]There are 2 Scotts posting here! :)) But if you are asking me.....my primary compost material is grass clippings. I don't have Kudzu to use. The problem with grass clippings is what Scott from Atlanta mentioned. ie they compost down to almost nothing.

I basically use grass clippings and kitchen scraps and some horse manure to make compost, usually in a pile right in the garden. If not directly in the garden, then right beside the garden and I extend the garden over that area the following year. For the first year I have quite a large pile of free bark from a cottonwood tree which I will chop up and use too.

But in fall I use a lot of chopped leaves to either mix with the compost and/or a layer over the garden. I have used both methods and both work fine. It is hard to tell for sure which may be best. Both work.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Scott.

gssgarden July 17, 2013 06:56 PM

Well what do you know!?!?!? A use for it!! lol

I've seen it in action, and man can it take over quickly!! Seemed like feet a day!

Nice to know!! I'll be on the look out for some now but will NEVER let it grow near my house!! lol

Greg

efisakov July 17, 2013 07:03 PM

To have a kudzu in your yard is a headache, but it helps with headache too (has medicinal use).:lol:

TexasAngel July 23, 2013 11:19 PM

Wow, finally a good use for that dreaded "vine that ate the south". Funny story - about eighteen years ago when we first moved into our home there was a utility pole with guy wires in our yard. A vine was growing on the guy wire. I had no idea what I was doing and I used some of the stems as small plant stakes. Yep. It was Kudzu. I kept after it for a few seasons and managed to eradicate most of it.

:lol:

ScottinAtlanta July 23, 2013 11:23 PM

I also eat fried kudzu leaves. They have a beany taste. Odd, I know, but I see no reason not to use our bountiful natural resources.