Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Cucurbits (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   White Wonder Cucumber (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=3481)

shelleybean December 23, 2006 10:10 PM

White Wonder Cucumber

For those who have grown this variety, what can you tell me about flavor and texture? Summer is hot and humid 24/7 here so it sounds as though it may be right up my alley. I also grow Snow's Fancy Pickling but I was going to add a couple of WW plants and wanted to know what to expect. Thanks in advance for any input.

spudleafwillie December 23, 2006 10:54 PM

White Wonder Cucumber

Michele,
IHO, I find Boothby's Blonde much more preferable than White Wonder or Snow's Fancy Pickling in terms of flavor, yield and productivity, disease resistance and length of bearing season.

The BB just keeps pumping out dozens of tasty cukes all season long till frost while the other two sort of fizzle out in about a month. Boothby's Blonde also makes delicious, crunchy garlic dills made in a crock or as bread & butter pickles made right in the jar. When large, they (BB) also make great breaded deep fried cukes like you do with zucchinis.
Hope this info helps,
Bill Malin

shelleybean December 23, 2006 11:01 PM

Wow! Thanks, Bill. I'm surprised to hear you say that from NM, but happy to hear it. I had considerd BB in the past but thought that since it was from Maine, it might not fare so well in the heat here. I believe I received a packet of seed for BB as a free gift from some seed catalog so if you say it can take the heat, I may give it a chance. Thank you!

spudleafwillie December 23, 2006 11:15 PM

Boothby's Blonde

Michelle,
Boothby's Blonde has done well for me in many different parts of the country and climates. I have successfully grown it in PA, MI, MA, AZ, NM and FL. It and Galinas and Kimberly are my fave early season salad or just crunched on by themselves right out in the garden with just a bit of sea salt.
The history on it is as follows: Brought to Maine in the 1850's by an english whaling captain the variety was maintained by the Boothby family in Livermore, ME which is near Boothby Harbor, ME. I got my seed from Will Bonsall from Me many years ago in the early 90's. Will originally found it in that state and got his seed from the Boothby family.

shelleybean December 23, 2006 11:30 PM

Hmm...Spudleaf salad! I have already grown Galina's and still have that seed and also have seed for Kimberly and the BB cukes. Do you ever toss any feta or herbs in with that?

I had no idea about the whaling captain. Cool! That alone is enough to make me want to grow it.

spudleafwillie December 23, 2006 11:38 PM

White Wonder cukes

Michelle,
Just some red wine vinegar, some EVOO, sea salt and fresh ground pepper, a dash of crushed red chile peppers and some crushed fresh garlic. Yum!!!