Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   The Workbench: BIY™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Multi dibble for onions and leeks (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34885)

4season January 31, 2015 12:57 AM

Multi dibble for onions and leeks

1 Attachment(s)
About three years back I made this from on hand materials. 3/8ths bolts 3 1/2 long 3 inches apart. The new pins are longer and tapered and should avoid soil sticking to the threads. Some of our leeks fell over last year and the extra 1 3/4 depth should help with that. there is a metal conduit in the handle because the pvc was to flexible.

taboule January 31, 2015 07:36 AM

Neat. How do you use it? Drag it at an angle to create furrows?

4season January 31, 2015 10:46 AM

I push it in then move it forward 3 holes so the spacing stays the same. The new setup will have a fifth short stub to mark the next hole so I don't redo one hole on every push. The 3 inch spacing seems close but the onions and leeks seem to grow well. I use a header with 6 rows of t-tape 6 inches apart and put a row of onions on each side. I will look for a picture of the bed to post.

EBCIII March 27, 2015 09:36 AM

I am curious I am planting big underground onions. I was told by my Local Dealer to put them just in the ground and then push the dirt up around them? Thanks in advance, Beale.

4season March 27, 2015 11:00 PM

We use the dibble to make holes along both sides of a length of drip tape. The plants (from Dixondale) are put in about an inch deep and the soil squeezed against the roots. The plants bulb up nicely, bigger than I expect with such tight spacing. If you are planting sets, the bolts might be need to be shorter so the holes are shallower.

EBCIII March 28, 2015 08:58 AM

[QUOTE=4season;460439]We use the dibble to make holes along both sides of a length of drip tape. The plants (from Dixondale) are put in about an inch deep and the soil squeezed against the roots. The plants bulb up nicely, bigger than I expect with such tight spacing. If you are planting sets, the bolts might be need to be shorter so the holes are shallower.[/QUOTE]

No sets just single bulb onions, thanks for the explanation, Beale.

Worth1 March 29, 2015 12:26 AM

Yes in heavy clay soil for sure you want the bulb to grow on top.
It makes for a bigger flatter bulb.

[url]http://geddies-store.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/harvesting-onions.5693203_std.jpg[/url]
Worth

EBCIII March 29, 2015 05:33 AM

Hey Worth I will be putting mine in Mireille Grow Potting Soil for now . Until I get the garden soil. Do I just put them on top? Or about an inch down? Beale.

Worth1 March 30, 2015 01:55 PM

[QUOTE=EBCIII;460713]Hey Worth I will be putting mine in Mireille Grow Potting Soil for now . Until I get the garden soil. Do I just put them on top? Or about an inch down? Beale.[/QUOTE]

An inch down will be okay.

Worth

paulgrow March 30, 2015 07:17 PM

What are the tapered tips made from?

Worth1 March 30, 2015 07:33 PM

[QUOTE=paulgrow;461093]What are the tapered tips made from?[/QUOTE]

They look like pins you would drive in a hole to stop a leak in pipe that have been milled flat on the sides and tapped for threads.

4season April 6, 2015 12:20 AM

Sorry about the late reply, the tips are bolts that have been turned on a lathe and there are threaded holes drilled in the top for a 1/4 inch bolt. I wasn't there when they were made but I got a tour of the shop later, too many machines to remember them all.

FarmerShawn April 6, 2015 07:09 AM

I made a rig with a similar concept, but I used all wood. The dibble pins are dowels. It's great not just for making seed holes, but for marking out for spacing. I often plant in wide rows, and running the dibbler/marker down the wide row on a diagonal gives me perfectly offset plantings, zigzag style.