Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   60 days till last frost. Is it time? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35165)

Myronr February 20, 2015 01:28 PM

60 days till last frost. Is it time?

How early do people here start seeds indoors? And how big should the transplants be?

shelleybean February 20, 2015 01:32 PM

Start 6-8 weeks before your last average frost. So, yes, you can start now, especially if you're going to keep them in a cool spot for a while. If they're going to be in a warmer location indoors, I'd wait a week or two so they don't get to tall or leggy.

PaulF February 20, 2015 02:19 PM

Myron, I am just downriver a ways and I will start my tomatoes this weekend or maybe next week for sure. This may be a week or so early but I start the process for a couple of nurseries who like the plants to be ready by mid-April at the 8 to 10 inch size. For myself planting out takes place the first week of May (depending on the weather and soil temperature). March 1 should be a good time for CB.

Peppers have been started a week already since they develop more slowly. Everything else started inside will be planted about March 1.

Myronr February 20, 2015 04:19 PM

[QUOTE=PaulF;452289]I will start my tomatoes this weekend or maybe next[/QUOTE]

Good, I'll start getting my stuff together, and get something in some dirt!

Worth1 February 20, 2015 04:21 PM

For what its worth I agree with everyone else above.

Worth

shelleybean February 20, 2015 04:27 PM

"For what it's worth..." I like that, Worth.:lol:

Worth1 February 20, 2015 04:31 PM

[QUOTE=shelleybean;452320]"For what it's worth..." I like that, Worth.:lol:[/QUOTE]

It is a screwball name isn't it?

But one good thin you can Google my name and nothing in the lines of it will show up as a name.:lol:

I am so glad my parents didn't name me Bubba.

Here is a hint my middle name can be used for a boy or a girl and very few people have it.:)

Worth

carolyn137 February 20, 2015 04:47 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;452324]It is a screwball name isn't it?

But one good thin you can Google my name and nothing in the lines of it will show up as a name.:lol:

I am so glad my parents didn't name me Bubba.

Here is a hint my middle name can be used for a boy or a girl and very few people have it.:)

Worth[/QUOTE]

Although I don't know your middle name I do know your real name since several years ago you sent me a fruitcake and I didn't know anyone by that name on the label, but Suze clued me in as to who you were.:lol:

So once again LD I thank you for that fruitcake, long since eaten.:)

Carolyn

Worth1 February 20, 2015 04:51 PM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;452336]Although I don't know your middle name I do know your real name since several years ago you sent me a fruitcake and I didn't know anyone by that name on the label, but Suze clued me in as to who you were.:lol:

So once again LD I thank you for that fruitcake, long since eaten.:)

Carolyn[/QUOTE]

Carolyn the L in LD is my middle name.
I'll see what I cant do about the fruitcake again as these last two years were horrible for me during the holidays as you well know.;)

Worth

Salsacharley February 20, 2015 06:37 PM

My last average frost date is April 15, so I sowed 207 tomato seeds (205 different varieties) and 7 pepper seeds plus 9 flower seeds yesterday and today. Here's hoping for 100% germination!:wait:

By the way, it appears that some expert gardener named Worth is referred to in a recently released Tomato blockbuster book. I wonder.....

shelleybean February 20, 2015 07:05 PM

Hmm, yes, I saw him mentioned, too, salsacharley.:)

Dewayne mater February 22, 2015 12:20 PM

I think the timing question has a good bit to do with the conditions your seedlings will grow up in. For me, after they sprout, they move into a garage that is pretty cool most of the time and has a heater near them to protect from the occasional threat of freezing. Under those cool temps, 60 days would be fine. I also keep a fan on them all the time to help thicken up the stalks and I think that keeps them from growing as tall as fast. My plant out date is typically 65-75 days from seed starting and I've never once said, I really wish these plants were smaller.

Dewayne mater

PaulF February 22, 2015 03:20 PM

Just finished putting about 400 tomato seeds in the soilless mix (formerly I would have said dirt, but confused some folks). Thirty-six varieties of tomato to go with the 100 or so pepper seeds (ten varieties) put in ten days ago.

Myronr February 23, 2015 08:47 AM

[QUOTE=Dewayne mater;452668]I also keep a fan on them all the time
Dewayne mater[/QUOTE]

Do you really have a fan blowing directly on them 24/7?

PaulF February 23, 2015 09:18 AM

After the first pot-up there is a fan blowing but only during lighted hours.