Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   My Onions (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35936)

EBCIII April 9, 2015 11:00 AM

My Onions

All of my onions are really sprouting and looking great! I really am thinking about building another Smaller Raised Bed Just for these. I am worried that I will not have room in my 2 beds for them. I have 1 pound of onions planted. The bed I build will also hold all my Herbs. What do y'all Think?

Like 8' in length by 3' wide? 14" High?

Thanks in advance Beale.

kath April 9, 2015 11:07 AM

I think it's hard to have too many raised beds...or too many onions.;)I've got onions planted in raised beds this year- some from sets and some from seed/plants. I spaced them 6" apart in all directions. I leave more space between the herbs because they spread and shade one another out if too close. The depth of your proposed bed is tall enough for carrots, so onions will be plenty happy. Go for it!

kath

Stvrob April 9, 2015 11:12 AM

What variety of onion are you growing?

jmsieglaff April 9, 2015 11:14 AM

I'll be planting my onions started from seed out this weekend! My raised beds have about 8" depth (above existing ground).

I did an experiment last year, where I planted 4, 5, and 9 onions per square foot to see how each arrangement did in terms of yield. The onions planted 4 and 5 per square foot were a bit larger, but the 9 / sq ft had higher yield by weight. I grew Copra and the ones grown 9 / sq ft were generally racketball sized with approaching tennis ball sized. I'm planting all my onions 9 / sq ft again this year. I like the size for cooking too--sometimes 1 onion that size is enough, otherwise I just use more. I'll grow Copra again this year and I am also trying Cortland.

EBCIII April 9, 2015 01:52 PM

[QUOTE=Stvrob;463361]What variety of onion are you growing?[/QUOTE]

Just a Basic big onion. Although I want to get some Small like Green onion That you only eat the top. Mine will be the big ball size or smaller depending on how far apart I put them, Beale.

Worth1 April 9, 2015 02:27 PM

[QUOTE=EBCIII;463394]Just a Basic big onion. Although I want to get some Small like Green onion That you only eat the top. Mine will be the big ball size or smaller depending on how far apart I put them, Beale.[/QUOTE]

They didn't say what they were?
There are sweet onions and long keeper onions.
Plant your onions closer together and pick the ones you want to eat as scallions as you thin them out.;)
Worth

EBCIII April 9, 2015 06:44 PM

No they just said Onions, I will get a picture on Friday Worth, Thanks.

Redbaron April 9, 2015 07:22 PM

I went crazy on onions this year. I hope they end up doing well. Red white yellow, Texas sweeties, Egyptian runners (Egyptian walkers on steroids:twisted:), you name it I got it.:?:

EBCIII April 9, 2015 08:22 PM

[QUOTE=Redbaron;463466]I went crazy on onions this year. I hope they end up doing well. Red white yellow, Texas sweeties, Egyptian runners (Egyptian walkers on steroids:twisted:), you name it I got it.:?:[/QUOTE]

Sounds Fun!! Beale.

Stvrob April 9, 2015 08:28 PM

If you ever find yourself short on onion plants, or if you just want to learn about growing onions, Dixondale Farms in Texas is a good resource.
[url]http://www.dixondalefarms.com/[/url]

Tracydr April 9, 2015 08:29 PM

Okay, I want some of those Egyptian runners. Where do you get them?

Redbaron April 10, 2015 03:38 AM

[QUOTE=Tracydr;463488]Okay, I want some of those Egyptian runners. Where do you get them?[/QUOTE]I have 2 kinds. One I ordered online, and one I got from a trade here. Instead of flowering, they produce bulbils. When that happens you can collect the bulbils and replant..or share.

EBCIII April 10, 2015 05:15 AM

[QUOTE=Redbaron;463557]I have 2 kinds. One I ordered online, and one I got from a trade here. Instead of flowering, they produce bulbils. When that happens you can collect the bulbils and replant..or share.[/QUOTE]

I like that, Beale.

JLJ_ April 19, 2015 04:19 AM

[QUOTE=Redbaron;463466]I went crazy on onions this year. I hope they end up doing well. Red white yellow, Texas sweeties, Egyptian runners (Egyptian walkers on steroids:twisted:), you name it I got it.:?:[/QUOTE]
What property varies to make the Egyptian walkers into runners . . . more bulbil- babies? Taller stalks for longer outreach coverage with the offspring? Tiny slingshot structures at the bulbil base to fling the little ones far from mama plant? Burr type coverings on the bubils so they can attach to passing mammals and enlarge their "travel to new growth site" range?

(I probably shouldn't be doing this at 2am . . . seems to be only time available lately, though. ;) )

Redbaron April 19, 2015 04:33 AM

[QUOTE=JLJ_;465813]What property varies to make the Egyptian walkers into runners . . . more bulbil- babies? Taller stalks for longer outreach coverage with the offspring? Tiny slingshot structures at the bulbil base to fling the little ones far from mama plant? Burr type coverings on the bubils so they can attach to passing mammals and enlarge their "travel to new growth site" range?

(I probably shouldn't be doing this at 2am . . . seems to be only time available lately, though. ;) )[/QUOTE]Some of these have such growth that the stalks that have bulbils have such vigorous bulbils that the bulbils have stalks containing even more bulbils! And a few last year had bulbils on bulbils on bulbils!:?: