Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Touching Peppers (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=36114)

whoose April 19, 2015 03:40 PM

Touching Peppers

My local Guru at the local pant store said peppers love to touch. Is she correct or just interested in me?

G from NC April 19, 2015 05:48 PM

I’ve grown them closer together in a row than recommended on the seed package, maybe 4" apart in a a row. Touching without a doubt. I have found that they can provided each other some support. Mix them up is what I say, large fruit, hot ones, small fruit and sweet peppers - seems, in my experience to keep certain bugs, like stink bugs under control. And yes, she is definitely interested in you.
G

Worth1 April 19, 2015 06:02 PM

I keep all of my peppers segregated by variety.
The cultural differences in them are just too much for them to get along with each other much less touch.:lol:

Worth

Starlight April 19, 2015 09:32 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;466012]I keep all of my peppers segregated by variety.
The cultural differences in them are just too much for them to get along with each other much less touch.:lol:

Worth[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Woose... I keep mine segregated by variety, but have all those in the same group touching. I was told that peppers love to hold hands and so I let them and have never had a problem at all. They actually seemed to like it.

Could be she likes you too. ;)

clkeiper April 19, 2015 10:05 PM

Peppers need support, too. So planting a couple close together is an easy way to keep them more upright. I cage mine, so I don't care whether they touch or not, but generally they eventually grow close enough together that they do touch at some point, but are not supporting each other.

Misfit April 20, 2015 12:47 AM

So I'm wondering...

In one bed I'm planting Thai Hot, Aji Amarillo, Tabasco, and Datil. I believe, they're all from different families. So cross pollination shouldn't be a problem when saving seed? Thus, I should be able to crowd them in a bit, and maybe not cage/stake them?

-Jimmy

heirloomtomaguy April 20, 2015 01:22 AM

I think she just likes you. I havr never noticed a difference by touching my peppers.

biscgolf April 20, 2015 09:11 AM

[QUOTE=Misfit;466117]So I'm wondering...

In one bed I'm planting Thai Hot, Aji Amarillo, Tabasco, and Datil. I believe, they're all from different families. So cross pollination shouldn't be a problem when saving seed? Thus, I should be able to crowd them in a bit, and maybe not cage/stake them?

-Jimmy[/QUOTE]

Those varieties will all cross-pollinate. The only ones that won't are pubescens (rocoto/manzano).

Blueaussi April 20, 2015 03:29 PM

[QUOTE=heirloomtomaguy;466122]I think she just likes you. I havr never noticed a difference by touching my peppers.[/QUOTE]

If you do that in public, you can be arrested!

Stvrob April 20, 2015 05:11 PM

[QUOTE=heirloomtomaguy;466122]I think she just likes you. I havr never noticed a difference by touching my peppers.[/QUOTE]

My wife wont let me touch her after I've touched the peppers!