Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Cutting down trees (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39254)

Worth1 January 5, 2016 10:21 AM

Cutting down trees

I am in a dilemma with some trees.
Right now is the time of year if I want to do this.
That is to cut a bunch of them down.
They are skinny ugly weed trees and they are shading my back yard.
My back yard close to my house would really look nice if I were to cut most of these trees down and plant things.
Even nicer trees would be better.
I could also grow more vegetables in the area too.

What do you guys think?
I can put a pictuer up later.

Worth

sdambr January 5, 2016 10:36 AM

No brainer, cut them down!

For years I have been known as a tree hugger, but not when they interfere with the veggies.

rhines81 January 5, 2016 10:39 AM

"skinny, ugly weed trees"... sounds like you talked yourself into it already. Chop. Chop.

matereater January 5, 2016 10:40 AM

I say go for it. I drastically trimmed some larger trees I had in my backyard last year to increase sun on the garden area, best decision I ever made. Plus the grass is doing much better too ! and I also got some nice firewood out of it.

Worth1 January 5, 2016 10:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I agree and I also need to build a new bridge while I am at it.
I didn't build the one in the picture it was here when I bought the place.
The little fenced in area and below it is where I want to put in some terraces for more vegetables.
I need to do this while it is cold and that sap isn't rising.
Cutting trees in the spring and summer when the sap is rising is much more work because the stuff is way heaver.
You also dont have the leaves to deal with.
Worth
Weed trees.
[ATTACH]55489[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]55490[/ATTACH]

AlittleSalt January 5, 2016 11:37 AM

Before I saw your pictures, I was going to ask about thinning them out to make a few grow fuller. But now I can see they aren't thin due to over-shading. Just out of curiosity, do you know what type they are?

We are thinking of planting 2 peach and 2 plum trees. We're supposed to plant them between January 1 - February 15 here. Fruit trees might be an idea for you?

Worth1 January 5, 2016 12:20 PM

Salt they are cedar elm.
The nasty things are everywhere here.
The smaller ones are about as old as the house so this means they didn't keep the place up and just let the things take over.

Worth

heirloomtomaguy January 5, 2016 12:36 PM

Get rid of them like you said they are weed trees anyways. Plus you could fit a couple hundred more mater plants there if they were gone.

Karrr_Luda January 5, 2016 12:44 PM

If you could turn them in to mulch that's a lot of mulch!!!

AlittleSalt January 5, 2016 12:54 PM

I just looked up this [URL]http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/natives/ULMUSCRASSIFOLIA.HTM[/URL]

I think you'll enjoy a garden more than those trees.

loulac January 5, 2016 01:02 PM

If you are familiar with the use of a chainsaw you can do the work by yourself, helped by someone who will pull a rope to send the tree in the right direction. In delicate cases don't hesitate to call a professionnal !

ScottinAtlanta January 5, 2016 01:30 PM

Those are shrubs. Cut them down.

Worth1 January 5, 2016 02:49 PM

[QUOTE=loulac;523167]If you are familiar with the use of a chainsaw you can do the work by yourself, helped by someone who will pull a rope to send the tree in the right direction. In delicate cases don't hesitate to call a professionnal ![/QUOTE]

I have a 60 CC chainsaw I have had for almost 20 years.:)

I was raised cutting huge 30 inch diameter trees and logging.

I started it up today and cut some smaller ones down and two got hung up in the trees next to them.:evil:

Worth

MissS January 5, 2016 02:55 PM

Yes, if you do it do it now, before the birds and creatures start using them for nesting.

AlittleSalt January 5, 2016 03:02 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;523202]I have a 60 CC chainsaw I have had for almost 20 years.:)

I was raised cutting huge 30 inch diameter trees and logging.

I started it up today and cut some smaller ones down and two got hung up in the trees next to them.:evil:

Worth[/QUOTE]

That made me think about that huge 3'+ wide tree that we have been burning since December. It finally finished burning yesterday. The tree was so big that it was easier to burn it where it fell. It was a beautiful tree for many years, but when it died - it quickly became an eye-soar. It looks so much better now that it is finally gone.

Now we can plant fruit trees in that area. :)