Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Growing Indeterminate Tomatoes in Grow Bags (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=41990)

garyc1234 July 2, 2016 12:19 PM

Growing Indeterminate Tomatoes in Grow Bags

I've been thinking of growing indeterminate tomatoes in grow bags. I've seen others on this site use grow bags, so I'm thinking of trying it out myself. I have a bunch of tomatoes in containers already, but I've basically run out of containers, and I still have some more plants that needed to be potted up to their final container. Grow bags seem like a quick and cheap solution since I don't have time to build any more Earthtainers this year, and even 5 gal SW containers from Home Depot buckets would take time to make. Here are some questions I had. (I did search this site for some info, so apologies if this was already discussed in another thread.)

(1) What mix do you put in grow bags? For containers, I am used to using potting mix (Miracle Grow w/o Moisture Control). However, I am reading in some places that for grow bags, I should be using potting soil instead of potting mix because the bag already provides plenty of aeration for the soil. Is this correct?

(2) How long do grow bags last? I know every grow bag may be different. I am using the VIVOSUN 5-Pack 15 Gallons Fabric Pots Grow Bags that I purchased from Amazon last night. However, if the grow bags only last one growing season, that is adding ~$6 to the cost for every tomato plant every year. Then plastic containers may be a better long term solution.

(3) Anything else different about growing in grow bags rather than regular containers? Still a circle of Tomatotone at the top, and I assume you can still use a cage if the grow bag is large enough? I am using 15 gallon grow bags. I assume this should be big enough for most indeterminate tomatoes? Thanks!

taboule July 2, 2016 01:00 PM

1) potting mix
2) haven't had mine long, so no experience.
3) they dry quickly, especially for large plants, and if not watered often, enable BER, both on toms and peppers for me.

Gerardo July 2, 2016 01:03 PM

1) should be ok w potting mix, soil haven't tried it. Maybe add more vermiculite or peat moss to increase moisture retention.

2) they last a couple of seasons. Another even cheaper solution is plastic grow bags, 7 gals work really well for single indeterminate plants.

3) not much different, they dry out faster that's all. Mulch away.

Good luck!

OurFirstHome July 4, 2016 04:06 PM

(1) I use Happy Frog Potting Soil. I don't see it mentioned much on gardening forums but all of my container veggies grow well in it so far.

(2) This is my first year using grow bags but I plan to reuse them at least next season. I have tomatoes and cucumbers in 7 gallon bags and so far so good. I am interested to see if it's enough room for the tomatoes roots. The tomatoes in grow bags are out performing the same variety in a 10gallon container fwiw. I overpaid at my local nursery, cant remember the name but they are very similar to root pouches.

(3) The bags seem to regulate water well which has helped with the extra rain we got this season. It's apparently hard to overwater which also helps. That's the only difference I've noticed (except being slightly lower to the ground which is slightly annoying when watering. I use a cage in them and they're fine.

Jetstar July 5, 2016 01:32 AM

garyc1234, First I'm growing a Big Boy indeterminate in a grow bag and its doing great! Here's what I'm doing first off use a grow bag that can hold at least 7 gallons, next use potting mix, never use potting soil. Now fill the grow bag about 1/2 to 2/3 full then add 1-1/2 cups of garden lime along with 2 tbs of Epsom salt. Now mix the 2 well with the potting mix, then saturate the potting mix to the point that water is seeping from the grow bag. Now fill the rest of the grow bag to about 2" from the top with dry potting mix now form your hole deep so you can set your starter indeterminate tomato plant nice and deep. Your almost done but here's the final step around the outside edge use your finger to dig a trench around the edge, now fill the trench with a 10-10-10 fertilizer, then cover the trench with a thin layer of potting mix... That's it your done! Now you can set the grow bag in a small baby pool with 1-1/2 to 2" of water!

One more thing I added 2 Jobes Tomato spikes, and I also use foliar sprays of Epsom salt ( 1Tsp per gallon of water) and calcium nitrate (1/2 Tsp per gallon of water) I apply the 2 foliar sprays 2 or 3 times a week... Good luck!!

Salaam July 5, 2016 08:02 AM

Some people use soil in fabric pots as opposed to plastic containers. I use a mix of soil, potting mix, and compost, and it has so far worked well for about three years.

I have used 10 gallon pots for tomatoes successfully.

For fertilizing, I do as you say, put some organic granular fertilizer in shortly after planting, and then twice or so during the rest of the year. In between, they get fish and kelp every two to three years.

Jetstar July 5, 2016 08:28 AM

garyc1234 I forgot to tell you the 7 gallon grow bags I use cost .50 cents there the Walmart blue totes they sell by the checkouts or by customer service area. You can expect 2yrs out of the blue Walmart bags.

I would really stay away from potting soil, potting mix is the way to go.

I put in a tomato cage as soon as I plant the tomato. And remember you need to amend the potting mix once the plant begins grow. its why I use foliar sprays and the Jobes plant spikes, and twice during the growing season I use a 15-30-15 water soluble fertilizer, I top feed about 1/2 gallon of the mix on each plant but you could add it to the water in the bottom of the kiddie pool you put the grow bag in.

Barb_FL July 5, 2016 08:36 AM

[QUOTE=garyc1234;574403]...

(2) How long do grow bags last? I know every grow bag may be different. I am using the VIVOSUN 5-Pack 15 Gallons Fabric Pots Grow Bags that I purchased from Amazon last night. However, if the grow bags only last one growing season, that is adding ~$6 to the cost for every tomato plant every year. Then plastic containers may be a better long term solution.
[/QUOTE]

I've used the Root Pouch Longest Lasting Brown ones for several years now. Two seasons a year for tomatoes and on the 15 gallon ones, I have left outside in the elements (hot humid sun) year round. I have them in sizes from 2,3,5,7,10,15)

Last year I bought a lot of 5 gallon of the 3-4 year grey ones for dwarf tomato plants / peppers. They are in my 3rd season now using them.

Mine get really gross looking; could be from the constant humidity. I've had thick carpet like moss growing outside them.

I elevate all of them and don't worry about too much water.

Jetstar July 5, 2016 12:51 PM

Barb_FL what is the cost of those grow bags your using? I do realize that the .50 cent Walmart bags are not as long lasting but for me the price & size of the Walmart bag (7 gallons ) allows me to grow most everything the bigger capacity bags do and I'm saving a considerable amount on every bag when compared to the bags your using.... Right?

Jetstar July 5, 2016 12:54 PM

Barb_FL what is the cost of those grow bags your using? I do realize that the .50 cent Walmart bags are not as long lasting but for me the price & size of the Walmart bag (7 gallons ) allows me to grow most everything the bigger capacity bags do and I'm saving a considerable amount on every bag when compared to the bags your using.... Right?

Barb_FL July 5, 2016 01:07 PM

JetStar - The root pouches are about $1.50 per bag cheaper now than when I bought them several years ago; must be all that competition from other companies selling them.

I've used the Walmart bags also (mainly for peppers), and they do last 2 years (4 seasons) but by the time I add the $1 for the laundry basket from DollarTree which starts breaking down in year 2, I might as well go with the 3-4 year grey Rootpouches.

luigiwu July 5, 2016 01:21 PM

I actually put 2 plants in a 7 gallon root pouch. I get them from greenhousemegastore. I try and prune every plant to 2-3 stems but really lose track right about NOW :) when its they get past a reachable height for me (without a stool.) I've had the gray 3-4 years for at least 3 yrs now. I have a plastic bucket lis at the bottom, same green moss/algae growing on the sides as I use them in the RGGS system.

Jetstar July 5, 2016 01:54 PM

Why do you feel the need to use a laundry basket, with the Walmart bag but not the gray root pouches your using? I've never needed a laundry basket, maybe your using a differnt method to grow thm in your area?

Barb_FL July 5, 2016 02:21 PM

It's really windy where I live; seems like 1-2 days a week there will be wind <14 MPH. I need the laundry basket for support and for something to tie the cage to. On the RootPouches, I just tie the cage to the handles.

I can't use the kiddie pool either; it's fine when it doesn't rain; but when it rains, it pours and rain usually starts off by huge gusts of wind.

On either RootPouch or Walmart bag if I want to bottom water, I put an upside down colander ($1 Dollar Tree) inside the pouch/bag. For peppers, if I want to bottom water, I use container lids for the water. There is a LOT of humidity so maybe that has something to do with it.

garyc1234 July 5, 2016 05:42 PM

Really appreciate all of the advice here. Will definitely try it.