Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   What is this disease (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44915)

NewbieGrower May 9, 2017 07:57 PM

What is this disease

1 Attachment(s)
My friend's EarthTainer tomato plant leaves suddenly developed splotches. Is this fungus?

jtjmartin May 9, 2017 08:24 PM

I've had plants that look like that as the later stage of sunburn. If it spreads, it's not sunburn though.

There's a lot better experts than me on the site though. I'll watch and learn!

zipcode May 10, 2017 07:38 AM

Looks like some sort of burn, probably not sunburn though. Around those spots however I seem to see maybe spider mite damage? Can you take a really close look under the leaves?

NewbieGrower May 10, 2017 11:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
These are 2 friends EarthTainers I built and setup for them with my seedlings. Have been growing great for more than a month until suddenly both called with problems with leaves on same day. Plants put in EarthTainers a week apart and they located 25 miles apart. Found it very unusual for plants to have same problem appear same day. Here is photo of 2nd friend's plant (taken last night so did best he could). The leaves on exposed areas damaged but those inside cage, shaded by other leaves have no damage. The 2 days before we had unusually bright sun with high UV index. Temp in mid 80's. Previously, it has been overcast or raining with low UV index. My EarthTainer planted one week later and located 15 miles from the others shows no damage.

ginger2778 May 10, 2017 11:52 AM

[QUOTE=NewbieGrower;638472]My friend's EarthTainer tomato plant leaves suddenly developed splotches. Is this fungus?[/QUOTE]

This is not fungus. These are scars caused by an insect eating the leaves. Thrips do this, some beetle family bugs do this, can you see any bugs? They might have left by now. Anyways, for sure it isn't fungus or bacterial.

ginger2778 May 10, 2017 11:54 AM

[QUOTE=NewbieGrower;638610]These are 2 friends EarthTainers I built and setup for them with my seedlings. Have been growing great for more than a month until suddenly both called with problems with leaves on same day. Plants put in EarthTainers a week apart and they located 25 miles apart. Found it very unusual for plants to have same problem appear same day. Here is photo of 2nd friend's plant (taken last night so did best he could). The leaves on exposed areas damaged but those inside cage, shaded by other leaves have no damage. The 2 days before we had unusually bright sun with high UV index. Temp in mid 80's. Previously, it has been overcast or raining with low UV index. My EarthTainer planted one week later and located 15 miles from the others shows no damage.[/QUOTE]

Your friend's damage looks like a physical injury or chemical burn, does not look like the same thing as yours. Acid rain? Hail maybe?

NewbieGrower May 10, 2017 01:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my other friend's plant 25 miles away. Same problem, same day. Is this fungus? Sunburn? Happened in one day involving multiple leaves.

MissS May 10, 2017 01:09 PM

It looks like a burn to me.

NewbieGrower May 10, 2017 01:14 PM

We had bad hailstorm here last week. Not much at my house but both theirs hit pretty bad. So concensus seems to be that this is physical damage (sunburn or hail stone). So just watch and see if doesn't spread.

NewbieGrower May 10, 2017 01:26 PM

We don't get acid rain here in Mississippi. But did have hailstorm last week.

TessSR May 10, 2017 01:32 PM

Remove the affected leaves and toss in the trash. If it happened again, it maybe something to look further. It could be a disease or mites. Goodluck!

[QUOTE=NewbieGrower;638472]My friend's EarthTainer tomato plant leaves suddenly developed splotches. Is this fungus?[/QUOTE]

NewbieGrower May 10, 2017 01:43 PM

Wind damage? We had very bad wind storm a few days ago (trees down). 60mph.

Lee May 10, 2017 03:15 PM

I would guess spider mites or thrips as well.
Ask them to check on the undersides of the leaves with a magnifying glass to see if they can find any insects.

You can use a number of methods to remove from high power water mist to wash them off to pyrethrum (sp?) or neem oil base sprays.

I don't usually see wind/sun damage happening to such mature leaves/plants, and it's not hail damage.
Only way I could see it being sun damage is if they sprayed the leaves with something in the middle of the day... ie. sun/magnifying glass effect.

Lee

NewbieGrower May 10, 2017 05:17 PM

[QUOTE=Lee;638649]I would guess spider mites or thrips as well.
Ask them to check on the undersides of the leaves with a magnifying glass to see if they can find any insects.

You can use a number of methods to remove from high power water mist to wash them off to pyrethrum (sp?) or neem oil base sprays.

I don't usually see wind/sun damage happening to such mature leaves/plants, and it's not hail damage.
Only way I could see it being sun damage is if they sprayed the leaves with something in the middle of the day... ie. sun/magnifying glass effect.

Lee[/QUOTE]
Even with leaves hitting against cage in strong wind? I am making "housecall" tomorrow and will check out everything carefully.

Worth1 May 10, 2017 08:51 PM

I'm going with some sort of skeletonizing critters.
Worth